• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Tom Brady played in the 70s? If Roger Staubach played today?

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 18 out of 20 years in NE Brady had less than stellar WRs. He made Wes Welker and Julian Edelman exceptions to the rule and made his WRs as good as they could be. He got to a SB with Reche Caldwell as his best WR. He won SBs with his best WR being Troy Brown and Deion Branch. No question that he had a great TE in Gronkowski.

The thing that Brady can do at 45 that Starbauch couldn't at 32 was drop back and release the ball accurately in 2 seconds or less. No QB in history has been able to that consistently and Brady does it weekly.

Your argument about Starbauch going to four SB and winning two doesn't really compare to Brady going to ten and winning seven. Brady will also break Brees' passing yardage this week and will own the career TD mark by the end of 2021. He pretty much owns all of the NFL QB records. Starbauch isn't in the top ten on half of them.

The 1970's players were nowhere as big or as as fast as players are today. I know, I was coaching football all through the 1970s.

I've been watching the NFL since 1955 when my dad brought home our first TV and NY Giants were on CBS or NBC every Sunday. Oh yeah, there were only three networks back then and ABC didn't want football.

In all honesty, trying to compare players of different eras is unfair. Think the 1936 Bears could stop Bo Jackson? Think the anyone on the Steel Curtain could run with Tyreek Hill? Think any Olineman could stop Aaron Donald or even run with him? It's like trying to compare a Macintosh with a Fifi as the best for apple pie.
Ironic how say the players of the 70s nowhere near as big or fast.

Ok...

Staubach was slight. He was 6 foot 3 about 200lbs. He did run a 4.6 forty.

All of that bigger and faster stuff should also be compared to the rules that protect the players, especially the QBs.

You comparing the accumulation of Brady's jewels is something I conceded. No one as decorated and no one will be.

However if you took a young Roger Staubach and put him in this league now, with today's rules, I believe he would have had a far easier time of it than Brady going into the rules of Staubachs era.

I know we like to look back and act as though the defenders like a Mean Joe or Jack Tatum etc were not worthy opponents...

The point is it is all based on the eye test. You really think Brady would have had an easier time playing in that era with those rules than Staubach would have now?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah look at Brady going to the Sucaneers. Now look, Belishit is back to being the same Belishit as a head coach he was before Mo Lewis ruined the NFL for 20 years and made chowda heads think Belishit was the greatest Coach ever.

Hysterical...

I am certain if Brady or Staubach went to the Jets.....it would be a lot different.

Remember they made AFC championship games with Sanchez.

Dwight Clark's career defining play.

downloaddasdasdsa.jpg

Marky-Mark's career defining play.

CalmLavishAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he the reason the Cowboys were first called 'Murica's Team? I know I could look it up. But I'm busy.
Turn out the lights, the party's over!!!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Brady's original teams would've held up just fine in the old days. He inherited a SB caliber defense. They slowed down the Greatest Show on Turf and the Raiders and some other good offenses. Slowed down LDT and Gates. Manning had all sorts of issues. Marvin Harrison had vanishing cream. I don't really see that team as a modern, finesse team. I think Brady would've been fine in the old era.

He would have been great. They had plenty of statues with great arms and decision-making skills at QB in the old days.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all relative to the athletes they are playing with.

Staubach was 6 foot 3 and read where he ran a 4.6 in the 40.

Again, he played 8 seasons essentially, and led half of the teams to a SB (four.)

His prime years were in the Navy....

Anyway, he would have thrived in an RPO offense or west coast offense.

I do wonder how Brady would have done with WRs being molested all the way down the field.

I tend to think Brady would have a tougher time playing in those conditions than the other way around.

Poor conflicted Pats fans. Don't you hope Brady runs it up on Belishit and Josh McDick?

For sure, a lot more of his throws would have hit the ground or been picked and that's the reason.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah look at Brady going to the Sucaneers. Now look, Belishit is back to being the same Belishit as a head coach he was before Mo Lewis ruined the NFL for 20 years and made chowda heads think Belishit was the greatest Coach ever.

Hysterical...

I am certain if Brady or Staubach went to the Jets.....it would be a lot different.

Remember they made AFC championship games with Sanchez.

Come on. The Bucs are loaded.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discuss...

Staubach to me is the greatest QB of all time. Has little to do with numbers, but just that eye test thing.

I tend to judge which QBs could play and thrive in ANY SYSTEM, in ANY ERA?

Brady by far will go down as most decorated. No one will break that.

Staubach for all intensive purposes played 8 seasons as full starter. Led to 4 SBs won two and played against some of the best defenses ever.

Put up 31 points in a loss to the steel curtain in one of them. The orange crush defense and that Miami defense which was a great defense. Went on to win the next two SBs.
this is a simple answer.
All great QBs would be great.
If Brady went into the 70's his career would be shorter.
If Staubach played now his career would be longer.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, both QBs would be great in any era.

Sometimes it's hard to put a finger on what makes Brady so good. It's all these intangibles and subtle skills combined with a fierce competitiveness and the ability to raise the play of his teammates. I'd take Brady in any era. He's going to find a way to win. Even with Bruce Arians as a HC. Basically the same roster went 7-9 the prior year.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Johnny U? He would be a hell of a player now and he is higher on my list than Staubach, both are top 10 QB’s all-time but no, neither are close to GOAT