• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Tom Brady played in the 70s? If Roger Staubach played today?

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discuss...

Staubach to me is the greatest QB of all time. Has little to do with numbers, but just that eye test thing.

I tend to judge which QBs could play and thrive in ANY SYSTEM, in ANY ERA?

Brady by far will go down as most decorated. No one will break that.

Staubach for all intensive purposes played 8 seasons as full starter. Led to 4 SBs won two and played against some of the best defenses ever.

Put up 31 points in a loss to the steel curtain in one of them. The orange crush defense and that Miami defense which was a great defense. Went on to win the next two SBs.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady is the goat but Staubach would be a superstar if he played today, no question.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discuss...

Staubach to me is the greatest QB of all time. Has little to do with numbers, but just that eye test thing.

I tend to judge which QBs could play and thrive in ANY SYSTEM, in ANY ERA?

Brady by far will go down as most decorated. No one will break that.

Staubach for all intensive purposes played 8 seasons as full starter. Led to 4 SBs won two and played against some of the best defenses ever.

Put up 31 points in a loss to the steel curtain in one of them. The orange crush defense and that Miami defense which was a great defense. Went on to win the next two SBs.
Staubach would have been great in any era. His mobility would make him a pain in the ass to any defense.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's always been near the top of my list. As a Skins fan back then I hated him, but he could do it all.

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we think Brady could thrive in the 70s? WRs basically butt raped in their patterns. QBs would see through their ear holes if they complained about being touched.

The question is this.

Who would have a tougher time? Would Staubach be able to play today and thrive?

Would Brady be able to thrive in the 70s?

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staubach would have been great in any era. His mobility would make him a pain in the ass to any defense.
Yes, and he would have been ideal in the Bill Walsh SYSTEM. Could run stretch run. He could run the RPO. He could run the amoeba basketball on grass system Brady thrives in.

Could Brady really run the stretch zone run west cost offense? The RPO offense?

How would Dick Butkus have treated Brady? Mean Joe?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and he would have been ideal in the Bill Walsh SYSTEM. Could run stretch run. He could run the RPO. He could run the amoeba basketball on grass system Brady thrives in.

I think Brady would find a way to be successful in any system or the coaches would be smart enough to build their system around him.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we think Brady could thrive in the 70s? WRs basically butt raped in their patterns. QBs would see through their ear holes if they complained about being touched.

The question is this.

Who would have a tougher time? Would Staubach be able to play today and thrive?

Would Brady be able to thrive in the 70s?

Meh.. it was a lot tougher on WRs back then from a physicality perspective. QBs too, so Brady definitely would not still be playing at 44. But DB coverage is much better today that it was back then, so from a performance perspective Brady would have been largely the same guy he is now... because it's always been about hitting the target.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Translation:

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.. it was a lot tougher on WRs back then from a physicality perspective. QBs too, so Brady definitely would not still be playing at 44. But DB coverage is much better today that it was back then, so from a performance perspective Brady would have been largely the same guy he is now... because it's always been about hitting the target.
Idk if DBs are better today. They literally aren't allowed to be. Meaning they cannot cover. Are they better athletes? Sure, but the rules do not allow for shut down corners.

The corners back then weren't really slap dicks either. Corners like Hayes, or Blount, etc were quite good.

It is also relative to how good the WRS are today as compared to the 70s.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people said Brady would fold like a 4 dollar lawn chair if he left New England.

And that was just several years ago.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk if DBs are better today. They literally aren't allowed to be. Meaning they cannot cover. Are they better athletes? Sure, but the rules do not allow for shut down corners.

The corners back then weren't really slap dicks either. Corners like Hayes, or Blount, etc were quite good.

It is also relative to how good the WRS are today as compared to the 70s.

They can no longer hit them as much as they want until the ball is in the air, so it takes a different sort of, and imo much better, athlete. So maybe we disagree. I think DB first and then WR are the 2 postions where the talent is much better than it was in the 70s. Actually it's kickers where the improvement is most dramatic, but I don't count them.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Brady's original teams would've held up just fine in the old days. He inherited a SB caliber defense. They slowed down the Greatest Show on Turf and the Raiders and some other good offenses. Slowed down LDT and Gates. Manning had all sorts of issues. Marvin Harrison had vanishing cream. I don't really see that team as a modern, finesse team. I think Brady would've been fine in the old era.

Broncoballs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people said Brady would fold like a 4 dollar lawn chair if he left New England.

And that was just several years ago.

Idk, I never did. Who did that? The league rules still the same in Tampa.

He did prove Belichick is Belishit without him.

But.....

Don't think Brady could run an PRO offense, a west coast offense as run by Walsh who never put a QB in shotgun.

I do think Staubach could run all of those offenses and I also think he could run that Joe Tiller basketball on grass offense that Brady runs really well. And the one main thing that is essential for that offense to run effeciantly other than a QB like Brady are today's well enforced rules that makes it truly impossible for a corner to be a true shutdown corner. Unlike the days of Mel Blount.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staubach was probably THE toughest qb I have ever watched play in the Nfl. He had several injuries and concussions and pretty much played in spite of them. He was accurate and a slick runner, not to mention how smart he was. Total team player, hard worker, etc.
He would have succeeded in any era.
With todays sissy rules he would have set all manner of records and won several S.B. imho......

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With todays sissy rules he would have set all manner of records and won several S.B. imho......
It is very hard to say what would happen if you took a QB from that era and put them in with the monstrous defensive freaks we see today.

I read that today's edge rushers are as fast & quick as the 70's running backs.