• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If their is indeed a MLB lockout next 2022 season if a deal is not done by December 1st could relocation and expansion make up for this possibly?

DesiredFan382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious if baseball happens to go to a lockout if nothing is done by December 1st could we maybe see expansion or relocation be on the table? To make up for possible money that would be lost in the lockout that’s if this were to happen? Let’s say a deal would get done by December 1st I remember Rob Manfred said no new expansion is likely not until the A’s and Rays stadium situation is figured out. It sucks that Tampa has to wait until 2028 until whether they can decide to get a new ballpark or leave town period. So the rays would have to wait the longest. By the way the Orioles lease is up in 2023 I believe so they could leave also. All I’m really saying would a lockout perhaps maybe get MLB executives to start talking about expansion/relocation again?

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would question why the Orioles would consider leaving Baltimore. They have a great ballpark and, from what I've heard, offer fans a very good experience in the neighborhood. They have a good bunch of young guys on their roster and more on the horizon.
The Rays, however, are in a difficult position, as are the A's. Neither team has a good ballpark to play in, but both have a lot of talent. If either could get a new ballpark, the infusion of capital into their franchises could make them both a great deal better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance in hell. Expansion is a HUGE project that needs probably 5 years AT LEAST to complete.

MLB needs to find ownership groups…
Said ownership groups need to get the funds ready…
Cities need to woo the ownership groups…
Facilities need to be available in said cities…

Then, once the cities/ownership groups are selected…
The business offices need to be hired…
Coaches need to be hired…
Minor league clubs need to be affiliated…
players need to be acquired…

In short, no way in hell could expansion happen in time for 2025, let alone 2022.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would question why the Orioles would consider leaving Baltimore. They have a great ballpark and, from what I've heard, offer fans a very good experience in the neighborhood. They have a good bunch of young guys on their roster and more on the horizon.
The Rays, however, are in a difficult position, as are the A's. Neither team has a good ballpark to play in, but both have a lot of talent. If either could get a new ballpark, the infusion of capital into their franchises could make them both a great deal better.
I’ve noticed this with the Royals’ push to go to downtown KC as well. Why be in the rush to move? The current stadiums are nice, appealing, and otherwise quality. I don’t see the O’s going anywhere though and same with the Royals.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve noticed this with the Royals’ push to go to downtown KC as well. Why be in the rush to move? The current stadiums are nice, appealing, and otherwise quality. I don’t see the O’s going anywhere though and same with the Royals.
I agree with your take here. Kauffman Stadium is my favorite place in baseball to watch a game. I've never had a bad seat there.
A little aside here. I got to know Buck O'Neil a little bit when we visited him in KC at the ***** Leagues Museum. I was wearing a cap he had autographed earlier in a day and he said, "The seats next to mine are vacant tonight -- would you like to see a game with me?" Only a fool would have said no and it was the best game I've ever seen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred is a tool and shouldn’t be in charge of baseball let alone expansion. Anyone who thinks Portland is a MLB city is beyond retarded.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rays playing half their games in Montreal is a great idea... If it happens and it works, could other teams try it?...

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred is a tool alright. Why worry about expansion when they are currently trying to bastardize the playoffs in the new cba. Who the hell is clamoring for 2 more wild card teams?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious if baseball happens to go to a lockout if nothing is done by December 1st could we maybe see expansion or relocation be on the table? To make up for possible money that would be lost in the lockout that’s if this were to happen? Let’s say a deal would get done by December 1st I remember Rob Manfred said no new expansion is likely not until the A’s and Rays stadium situation is figured out. It sucks that Tampa has to wait until 2028 until whether they can decide to get a new ballpark or leave town period. So the rays would have to wait the longest. By the way the Orioles lease is up in 2023 I believe so they could leave also. All I’m really saying would a lockout perhaps maybe get MLB executives to start talking about expansion/relocation again?
nope

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manfred is a tool alright. Why worry about expansion when they are currently trying to bastardize the playoffs in the new cba. Who the hell is clamoring for 2 more wild card teams?
Manfred and the owners

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lockout right now is not a bad thing. It gives both sides a chance to take a step back and take a good look at the situation and come to a reasonable agreement to move forward.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so fucking retarded.

Owners gonna lock out the players, but not before they can give a couple of them a few hundred million.

:crazy:

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Owners gonna lock out the players, but not before they can give a couple of them a few hundred million.

As long as it’s not $43M per year…..

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sign now so if deal gets done already ahead of schedule no matter how long the lock-out is and 2 come to cba with contracts in hand proclaiming their generosity...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rays playing half their games in Montreal is a great idea... If it happens and it works, could other teams try it?...

I still think the top cities for the Rays to relocate to are Nashville and Charlotte. I know that they have a minor league team up in BGKY, so that’d be something to consider.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the top cities for the Rays to relocate to are Nashville and Charlotte. I know that they have a minor league team up in BGKY, so that’d be something to consider.

The Rays have already begun negotiating with Montreal to play some games up there. It wouldn't be a relocation...

If there we're a relocation, I think the Rays or Marlins could move, and whoever stays becomes the Florida "Whatever" and plays half their games in Miami and half in Tampa/St Pete.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays have already begun negotiating with Montreal to play some games up there. It wouldn't be a relocation...

If there we're a relocation, I think the Rays or Marlins could move, and whoever stays becomes the Florida "Whatever" and plays half their games in Miami and half in Tampa/St Pete.
Marlins are never leaving before their lease is up....maimi gave them everythingv
they need to be profitable and never worry about product on the field

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we're in the first work stoppage since the mid 90s.

Fucking assholes.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't really done a deep dive on this lockout...what do the owners want to force this?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't really done a deep dive on this lockout...what do the owners want to force this?
I think one of the main sticking points is when players become FA. Currently the players “clock” starts when they are added to the 40-man list. The solution I have read most is having a longer clock start immediately when the player signs, so there will be less incentive for teams to hold players back (the Kris Bryant clause).

Not that that is the only issue, though...

Owners want a hard salary cap, players want nothing to do with that. Not sure if a salary floor is even a thing between players and owners.

I think DH is something both players and owners want, but it still needs to be negotiated. (Personally, this is a potential deal breaker for me).

I don’t think the players care about the draft or minor league pay/conditions.

Owners want expanded playoffs. The players, I think, can be convinced on this, but it will likely cost some regular season games. This is a horrible idea for the GAME, imho, but I don’t think the players or owners care about that aspect. This is not a game-breaker for me, but it is a potential game-reducer.

I am not sure that robo-ump, is an issue here. I think that would be an issue with the umpire union.