• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the playoffs were figured by the 6 best records in each conference

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said I was removing Division Records. I just took away the automatic bid for division winners.

Hence why divisions are useless:suds:

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we really want Butt fumble in the playoffs instead of Cam?:suds:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said I was removing Division Records. I just took away the automatic bid for division winners.

This makes divisions useless, and therefore completely undermines division rivalries. I realize the current format lends itself to the occasional 8-8, 7-9 or 7-8-1 division winner hosting a wild card team with a better record, but that's the way it is. Divisions exist for a good reason and really in 13 years of the current alignment and playoff format we've only had 4 such years: 2008, when the 8-8 Chargers won the AFC West; 2010, when the 7-9 Seahawks won the NFC West; 2011, when the 8-8 Broncos won the AFC West, and this year. In the Seahawks, Chargers, and Broncos case they all three proved they belonged in the playoffs by beating their opponents.

Furthermore there have been teams like the 2012 Ravens who won their division at 10-6 and hosted an 11-5 Colts team en route to a Super Bowl win.

Some people may not like it, but these teams have proven their mettle over the years. I think the NFL playoff format is fine the way it is. I don't want to see them re-seed teams. I don't want to see them add playoff teams. If you are an Eagles fan and don't like that the 10-6 Eagles are out of the playoffs while the 7-8-1 Panthers are in, the solution for your team is simple: Win more games. If you're a fan of the 9-7 Chargers, the first team out of the AFC playoffs, the solution is not to add another playoff team. The solution for your team is to win more games. (NOTE: I haven't seen any Eagles or Chargers fans complain, so I'm not singling them out. They are a convenient example, though.)