• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Oklahoma and Texas leave the SEC, who should join the Big12?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Kansas, ISU or K-state in the B1G.

Im not sure any of those teams move the needle enough for the Big Ten to make expansion worth it

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to try to keep up in the television rights arms race, then I could see the Big 10 adding Kansas & Iowa St. Neither school is as big a catch as Oklahoma or Texas, but they are the only two AAU teams left that they could get their hands on.

ACC would reluctantly at West Virginia & push Notre Dame to join for football.

The Pac would probably go after some combination of Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU & Oklahoma St., but at least half of those schools may end up in the AAC. The Pac might get two of them, and maybe Kansas St., to go along with some combination of BYU, Colorado St., and/or Boise St.

If the Big Ten really wants to keep up in that regard, they can't add KU and Iowa State. They have to go after much bigger names. Otherwise you are just decreasing the size of the pie that each team gets. KU and Iowa State don't bring enough value.

For the ACC, if they could get ND, that would be great. However, I don't see that happening. They won't add WVU without ND.

PAC is the only one who might take some of the Big 12 teams because the Texas market could prove valuable enough, even if you're getting second tier teams. However, the PAC 12 commissioner made it seem that they don't think expansion is likely to happen. There's absolutely no chance CSU, BYU or Boise would be considered.

I really don't think anyone in the Big 12 is getting added anywhere.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, now would be the time for the ACC to re-address admitting WVU…. After that, deliver an ultimatum to ND on full membership and if they refuse, find a logical 16th member, though not sure there is a good fit from the Big XII (even if athletically they’d be a help)

WV would be a good fit, no doubt about it. But the ACC has no leverage to deliver an ultimatum to ND and if ND leaves, there goes the ACC's guarantee games against ND. That's very valuable when it comes to TV contracts

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it’d likely be one of either UConn, Cincy, Memphis or possibly ECU.
UConn is the most 'major' of those universities, though ECU has huge enrollment. But could see Cincy moving to a P5/P4, would also like to see how the bucknuts reacted to this.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn is the most 'major' of those universities, though ECU has huge enrollment. But could see Cincy moving to a P5/P4, would also like to see how the bucknuts reacted to this.
I also figured in that UConn has been wanting to come in for years but we always overlooked them. Was it them or UMass that shuttered their football program or am I misremembering something? Because if it was UConn, I’d say that’d make it a no go with them.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU certainly seems like a natural fit.

If ND Doesn't join, try and get Maryland back (probably a no-go), then who?
I’d say UCF would probably be the best choice athletically and geographically, but FSU and Miami might not want to legitimize them as a “Power 5” team on their level…

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV would be a good fit, no doubt about it. But the ACC has no leverage to deliver an ultimatum to ND and if ND leaves, there goes the ACC's guarantee games against ND. That's very valuable when it comes to TV contracts
Perhaps not on ND, but if they join a conference in football , there is zero reason to suspect that they’d make a major stink over joining the B1G over the ACC. I don’t think which conference they join is their holdup, just the prospect of giving up their football independence…

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps not on ND, but if they join a conference in football , there is zero reason to suspect that they’d make a major stink over joining the B1G over the ACC. I don’t think which conference they join is their holdup, just the prospect of giving up their football independence…

Agreed. If they join a conference, it could very well be the ACC. I just think they would prefer to remain Independent unless there's a serious financial incentive to join a conference.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. If they join a conference, it could very well be the ACC. I just think they would prefer to remain Independent unless there's a serious financial incentive to join a conference.
Just wish the rest of the Power 5 would back an ultimatum for them to conference up, or be left out… I know they won’t, but….

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d say UCF would probably be the best choice athletically and geographically, but FSU and Miami might not want to legitimize them as a “Power 5” team on their level…
(1) UCF has a huge enrollment of 72,000, but an endowment of $155 million. The current low in the ACC is around $700 mil (FSU).
(2) Totally agree with the bold. Especially after the success they've had sub-P5, with the "stolen" natty.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big Ten really wants to keep up in that regard, they can't add KU and Iowa State. They have to go after much bigger names. Otherwise you are just decreasing the size of the pie that each team gets. KU and Iowa State don't bring enough value.

For the ACC, if they could get ND, that would be great. However, I don't see that happening. They won't add WVU without ND.

PAC is the only one who might take some of the Big 12 teams because the Texas market could prove valuable enough, even if you're getting second tier teams. However, the PAC 12 commissioner made it seem that they don't think expansion is likely to happen. There's absolutely no chance CSU, BYU or Boise would be considered.

I really don't think anyone in the Big 12 is getting added anywhere.
KU and West Virginia would fit in the B10.

Kansas in an AAU school, respected university and blue blood basketball program. Yes, you have to hold your nose for the football program, but they have had top 10 teams before.

West Virginia is a natural rival for Penn State. The whole 'scholastic' thing is a bit tough for the snooty crowd in the B10, but the OU/TX move could make the brass think quite a bit different.

Virginia and North Carolina should be the venture if the B10 is serious. Bring in all 4 as far as I'm concerned. I think they all add value.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame (if they no longer want to be independent)
Zoom Yes GIF by Equal Vision records

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it’d likely be one of either UConn, Cincy, Memphis or possibly ECU.
The only school out of that bunch that makes any sense is Cincy. You know, the fallback option if Louisville didn't get the votes the last time.

None of the others stand a chance.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only school out of that bunch that makes any sense is Cincy. You know, the fallback option if Louisville didn't get the votes the last time.

None of the others stand a chance.
I don't think that ECU and UConn have much of a shot either but they've been floated about during previous realignment rumors, so it'd make sense to at least include them in the discussion.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that ECU and UConn have much of a shot either but they've been floated about during previous realignment rumors, so it'd make sense to at least include them in the discussion.
ECU is a non-starter because of the four NC schools.

UConn is a non-starter because it would cripple the football schools that you football adverse schools have become dependent upon.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KU and West Virginia would fit in the B10.

Kansas in an AAU school, respected university and blue blood basketball program. Yes, you have to hold your nose for the football program, but they have had top 10 teams before.

West Virginia is a natural rival for Penn State. The whole 'scholastic' thing is a bit tough for the snooty crowd in the B10, but the OU/TX move could make the brass think quite a bit different.

Virginia and North Carolina should be the venture if the B10 is serious. Bring in all 4 as far as I'm concerned. I think they all add value.
West Virginia isn't an AAU school & wouldn't bring a ton of fans, but they would bring some. Kansas is AAU, but wouldn't bring much attention except during basketball season. Iowa St. is AAU, but the B-10 already has that state covered. All the ACC schools - including Notre Dame - have a grant-of-rights contract with hefty fines that runs through 2036.