• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If I could change 3 things with the NFL, I would change ...

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it might be fun to discuss things we would like to see change in the NFL. Here are my 3 things:
  1. No more game day inactives. If you are on the 53 man roster and healthy, you dress for the game. I think this would improve the quality of football as it would give teams more opportunities to create matchups. Look at Gotsis being inactive for several games, he may have been a great resource to help stop the run in a couple of those games.
  2. Last 4 weeks of the year the practice squad players join the active roster. This would be similar to the expanded rosters in baseball, but it would give some of those practice squad guys a chance to be sprinkled in for live game reps which would only help develop them, especially on teams that are out of the playoff race.
  3. Have tag you can put on a veteran player that part of the cap hit for the first year is doesn't count. Let's say the 10% of the cap hit for the 1st year of the their contract doesn't count against the cap. The idea her would be to help keep some of these guys on the teams where they starred. Matt Paradis last year and Chris Harris this year seem like poster children for why this would make sense.
What are the things you would change?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more penalties with automatic first downs and all PI and penalties in the end zone are half the distance to the goal. I am sick of refs determining who wins games because they can call a hands to the face penalty on 4th and 29 and give the team an automatic 1st down or worse just call PI and put the ball on the goal line.

Also I would instruct refs to only call penalties that are clear and obvious.

Finally I would clean up a few of the inconsistencies in rule. Like offside is offside and end of play. All that stupid shit of did he get back or make the O-lineman move is retarded. You cross the line before the ball is snapped you are offside, end of play. Maybe even change the 2 foot in bounds to any body part. Dont get me started on the catch process nonsense.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Eliminate coach's challenges, ref reviews and scoring reviews. What the refs call stands.
  2. Put a team of 3 refs in a booth above the stadium working in tandem with the team on the field. If the guys upstairs can see a penalty or non-penalty the guys on the field missed, they can communicate to the head official to throw a flag and announce the penalty.
  3. Eliminate all stationary cameras that cover the field with the exception of the standard sideline broadcast camera and standard end zone broadcast cameras that catch field goals. All other field coverage is fed from GoPros affixed to the referees.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more penalties with automatic first downs and all PI and penalties in the end zone are half the distance to the goal. I am sick of refs determining who wins games because they can call a hands to the face penalty on 4th and 29 and give the team an automatic 1st down or worse just call PI and put the ball on the goal line.

Also I would instruct refs to only call penalties that are clear and obvious.

Finally I would clean up a few of the inconsistencies in rule. Like offside is offside and end of play. All that stupid shit of did he get back or make the O-lineman move is retarded. You cross the line before the ball is snapped you are offside, end of play. Maybe even change the 2 foot in bounds to any body part. Dont get me started on the catch process nonsense.

I would also make it a penalty to talk to the ref or gesture for a penalty.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make ST either relevant or Elnate it entirely.

Make ST 25 years ago or get rid of it!!!!!!!

Get rid of holding all together all of it OL DB and DL . Takedown/Tacking to impede 10-yard penalty.

SB teams no Draft that year you won. You can still have Free agency to replace

Why have a cap on players what so ever? this lets you develop? make it 60 players game day that would be your cap number .

You could develop all the players you wish no numbers cap. Call it the same as we have now practice team keep 5 players on that squad as no one snag off there without your permission ...This Would allow you to develop a QB at $100 a year type of thing. And none of the bs.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make the DB rules old school 1960's style and lets them play football

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Super Bowl played in cold weather areas more often .. There are teams that are built for January football and others that excel in the dome … Holding the SB in climate controlled environments tends to lessen what a cold weather team brings to the field ..

If you want to see games where both teams score 50+ points, watch the college game

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d keep fans out of the stadium. They are mostly jerks.

:pound:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many...

Full time refs, complete with sanctions for OBVIOUS mistakes or sustained sub-par performances. Also the crews would stick together for the playoffs. The most important games of the year they shuffle up who’s working together? How can the league seriously not see the obvious issue with that? I truly believe this would fix so many other officiating related issues with the game, so I’m not going to go further on officials.

No more London games. Or any country other than the U.S. and kill any talk of expansion into any market unless it’s canada.

Super bowl commercial time and halftime is the exact same as a regular season game.

Cap relief for extending players drafted by your team. I other words, a first round pick who gets a contract with the team that drafted him, say only 90% of the contract’s value counts against the cap a given year. I think this makes it easier for teams to retain super star talent they’ve drafted and still be able to afford building a team around their draft talent. The draft position and degree of cap relief is something that could be developed, I haven’t thought through the entirety of that.

Eliminate OT in preseason. How in the hell is that even a thing?

Bye weeks coordinated so that teams will only play other teams coming off a bye when they’re coming off their own bye. This idea goes back to 2009 when the broncos had 4 consecutive opponents who were coming off a bye prior to playing the Broncos. How does the league let that kind of thing happen?

That’s enough for now. I do think the NFL overall is an infinitely superior product to college football. It has its problems but it’s also very well done on so many levels. There’s a reason it’s so popular.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it might be fun to discuss things we would like to see change in the NFL. Here are my 3 things:
  1. No more game day inactives. If you are on the 53 man roster and healthy, you dress for the game. I think this would improve the quality of football as it would give teams more opportunities to create matchups. Look at Gotsis being inactive for several games, he may have been a great resource to help stop the run in a couple of those games.
  2. Last 4 weeks of the year the practice squad players join the active roster. This would be similar to the expanded rosters in baseball, but it would give some of those practice squad guys a chance to be sprinkled in for live game reps which would only help develop them, especially on teams that are out of the playoff race.
  3. Have tag you can put on a veteran player that part of the cap hit for the first year is doesn't count. Let's say the 10% of the cap hit for the 1st year of the their contract doesn't count against the cap. The idea her would be to help keep some of these guys on the teams where they starred. Matt Paradis last year and Chris Harris this year seem like poster children for why this would make sense.
What are the things you would change?

#1 is a rule because of injuries. They don't want to give the other team an unfair advantage of having morea active players due to injuries on the other squad... I get it, yet I don't.. Should just put in a 4 week DL and decrease inactive players on gameday to about 4.

#2- Sadly, this was the last year that baseball does the September callups. But I like your idea.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest issue is with injuries that I would change.

NFL should adopt something like MLB does... Have a 3-4 game DL list, where you don't count against the roster but can be activated. Instead u get two players after 9 weeks of being out... This is football! Injuries are in large amounts.

I would also institute a rule where the Chiefs can never win a game. However many points they score in a game the opposing team always get their score plus 1 added on.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye weeks coordinated so that teams will only play other teams coming off a bye when they’re coming off their own bye. This idea goes back to 2009 when the broncos had 4 consecutive opponents who were coming off a bye prior to playing the Broncos. How does the league let that kind of thing happen?

I would like to bunch teams together in middle of the season. Maybe have 2 divisions on bye at the same time. Then bye weeks are completed in a 4 week period. It is really a disadvantage to have a week 4 or 5 bye.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest issue is with injuries that I would change.

NFL should adopt something like MLB does... Have a 3-4 game DL list, where you don't count against the roster but can be activated. Instead u get two players after 9 weeks of being out... This is football! Injuries are in large amounts.

I would also institute a rule where the Chiefs can never win a game. However many points they score in a game the opposing team always get their score plus 1 added on.

I do like the 304 game DL list.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried the day 3-4 game DL.