• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If CBB goes conference only should they expand the tourney ?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres talk of CBB following CFB and going to conference only.

If that happens should they expand the tourney to say 96 teams just for this year?

If its conference only there will undoubtedly be major conference teams at .500 or even below who would have made a normal year 68 team field that may be left this year.

Without OOC we will have no real gauge on mid/low major teams and how good they really are

Seems like theres plenty of reasons for a 1 time expansion if CBB is limited to conference only

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see the NCAA expanding it. That wouldn't be a good look, if things don't really change all that much as far as COVID-19 goes.

If it is conference only, I can see them relying much heavier on the analytics they have at their disposal. Because of that, we'll still be able to have a breakdown of Q1, Q2 victories etc.

Honestly this may be better for 1 bid leagues. If I had to guess I'd say most small conference tournaments might not happen because of financial issues, so because of that we'll be getting the #1 seeds in as is.

Also, the committee is going to have to look at the schedules more in depth than ever before. Who got a favorable conference schedule (like Nebraska 2018), and who got an unfavorable schedule, meaning harder. For example I wouldn't be opposed to them selecting a team with 9 conference wins over a team with 11, if that team beat NW, Nebraska, Minnesota 6 games(using last year's teams). And the 9 win team only played them once.

The debates will still be there. Will they take a 14 win A10 team or a 9/10 win B1G team?

I just can't see them expanding it this year though

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't. there are always debates every year about 'who got left out' so this year wouldn't be any different. And just like any other year, i really don't have any sympathy for a team that can't clearly make the top 68. if you are borderline #68 enough to get left out, that's your own fault.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue what they're going to do. Unlike football, those NC games determine everything.

Without them, you could argue the Sun Belt is as good as the ACC. You need at least 'some' NC games.

I think you play the early season tournaments, with NBA type COVID protocols in place. Then, go into conference play.

Then you award regular season champions the bids. You're gonna have ties. So, probably 40+ bids will be handed out that way.

Then, you scrap the conference tourneys and have the committee do their best with the ~28 remaining bids. I think it's the fairest way. I'd hate to do away with championship week, but in a truncated schedule and without fans, I just think it means much less.