• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"I would strike out Babe Ruth everytime"

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free-Agent Pitcher Adam Ottavino: 'I Would Strike Babe Ruth Out Every Time'

Scooby Axson
4 hrs ago

BBQNIgx.img
© Alex Trautwig/MLB Photos via Getty Images National League Wild Card Game: Colorado Rockies v. Chicago Cubs

Free-agent pitcher Adam Ottavino had a few thoughts on how Babe Ruth would fare if he were playing today: not very well.

Ottavino said that Ruth, considered one of the game's all-time greatest players, would likely struggle facing the power pitchers of today.

"I had an argument with a coach in Triple-A about Babe Ruth's effectiveness in today's game," Ottavino said on MLB's Statcast podcast. "I said, 'Babe Ruth, with that swing, swinging that bat, I got him hitting .140 with eight homers.'

He was like, 'are you nuts? Babe Ruth would hit .370 with 60 homers,' and I'm like, 'I would strike Babe Ruth out every time.'

I'm not trying to disrespect him, you know, rest in peace, you know, shout out to Babe Ruth. But, it was a different game, I mean the guy ate hot dogs and drank beer and did whatever he did. It was just a different game."

Ottavino, 33, has spent the last seven seasons with the Colorado Rockies. He struck out 112 batters in 77 2/3 innings and had a 2.43 ERA in 75 appearances last year.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player back then would experience a huge wake up call facing today’s players.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player back then would experience a huge wake up call facing today’s players.

It goes both ways, because if those old-time players were playing today, they'd probably be working out more and be playing ball more (given the amount of youth ball available today compared to prior generations).

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed.

You hook up with Bill & Ted and pluck 1920 Babe Ruth and bring him up and immediately plug him into a 2018/2019 lineup, today's pitchers are going to feed him their dicks.

The interesting discussion is if he came up in today's game, with the training, experience and equipment of the modern game, what would he be? I like to think he'd still be great, but I don't think he'd be hitting more homeruns than entire teams.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not wrong

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming in cold - just facing current MLB power pitching for the first time ever - yeah, the Babe would strike out a lot.

If Babe came in cold as a rookie, there'd be a lot of strikeouts initially, but he'd probably adjust well enough to MLB pitching within a few years to still be a productive player.

If Babe came up in this era he'd still be Babe - with better batting mechanics and training regimen.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It goes both ways, because if those old-time players were playing today, they'd probably be working out more and be playing ball more (given the amount of youth ball available today compared to prior generations).

Agreed.

You hook up with Bill & Ted and pluck 1920 Babe Ruth and bring him up and immediately plug him into a 2018/2019 lineup, today's pitchers are going to feed him their dicks.

The interesting discussion is if he came up in today's game, with the training, experience and equipment of the modern game, what would he be? I like to think he'd still be great, but I don't think he'd be hitting more homeruns than entire teams.

:ninja:

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can somewhat agree with your statement. Many differences in each era. But I cannot see "every time" Laws of average says the Babe at least makes contact in his first week up.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free-Agent Pitcher Adam Ottavino: 'I Would Strike Babe Ruth Out Every Time'

Scooby Axson
4 hrs ago

BBQNIgx.img
© Alex Trautwig/MLB Photos via Getty Images National League Wild Card Game: Colorado Rockies v. Chicago Cubs

Free-agent pitcher Adam Ottavino had a few thoughts on how Babe Ruth would fare if he were playing today: not very well.

Ottavino said that Ruth, considered one of the game's all-time greatest players, would likely struggle facing the power pitchers of today.

"I had an argument with a coach in Triple-A about Babe Ruth's effectiveness in today's game," Ottavino said on MLB's Statcast podcast. "I said, 'Babe Ruth, with that swing, swinging that bat, I got him hitting .140 with eight homers.'

He was like, 'are you nuts? Babe Ruth would hit .370 with 60 homers,' and I'm like, 'I would strike Babe Ruth out every time.'

I'm not trying to disrespect him, you know, rest in peace, you know, shout out to Babe Ruth. But, it was a different game, I mean the guy ate hot dogs and drank beer and did whatever he did. It was just a different game."

Ottavino, 33, has spent the last seven seasons with the Colorado Rockies. He struck out 112 batters in 77 2/3 innings and had a 2.43 ERA in 75 appearances last year.

I see Ottavino has been shopping @ one of the marijuana dispensaries around the corner from Coors Filed.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pfffft.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming in cold - just facing current MLB power pitching for the first time ever - yeah, the Babe would strike out a lot.

If Babe came in cold as a rookie, there'd be a lot of strikeouts initially, but he'd probably adjust well enough to MLB pitching within a few years to still be a productive player.

If Babe came up in this era he'd still be Babe - with better batting mechanics and training regimen.

His mechanics were quite good.

Look at him and mantle.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by the same token, pitchers like Walter Johnson wouldn't do much more than toss batting practice.