• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I want to screw the cable company

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many boxes out there now its hard to keep up. If you want netflix > SD though you are stuck Mi. I dont so I can look at a lot of the others. Sunvell T95Q is damn good if you can get it on sale. I am sure better ones will keep coming out too. Even the Shield is seeing competition from some of these new one but they are still not quite there yet. It also helps if you know how to overclock the CPU. Huge performance boost. Just need to make sure the heat is not becoming an issue.
The biggest thing in the past was having a device capable of MPEG2 decoding via hardware because it was always smoother and not all devices had it licensed but that patent has worn out now and everyone can have it just not everyone has gotten on board. Most live tv is boradcasted in MPEG2 or at least it was 4-5 years ago before i stopped doing Cable TV it still is on OTA though anyway a lot of the cheap chinese boxes didnt do it and still dont, so to compensate it uses software to decode and that takes a bunch of processing power that most those boxes dont have and it makes it look choppy and has a ton of dropped frames just horrible. It was noticeable in Plex too, the Fire TV at one time had that issue til Amazon fixed it that is when i got the Gen 2's I use PMS as my media server and i dont let it transcode because i want it to look exactly as it is ripped

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I actually have been looking at the PC boxes thinking that same thing. They are bit more though and when you have a half dozen TVs it gets expensive.
That is actually how i used to have everything (little 200 dollar fanless PC's at every tv had 5) when i was running WMC on everything and using my HDHomerun Prime Network CC tuner worked well until they stopped supporting WMC and shit kept getting off with the guide and i said fuck it im done and looked at the Internet services (sling TV, DirecTV Now, PS Vue etc) i was on PS Vue for a while and tried all the others as they came out the Fire TV's ahve been flawless

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I actually have been looking at the PC boxes thinking that same thing. They are bit more though and when you have a half dozen TVs it gets expensive.

Also, I am not a fan of the Android TV version. I prefer to just have a phone on a box. Which makes me wonder that they can make the phones so powerful but not so much the boxes. I dont see why. My phone have twice the benchmarks of most boxes.
see i am the opposite, prolly because the TV version has always been the one with the MPEG2 Codec license. Also if you have a network tuner the Android TV integrates it seamlessly into Channels so that is neat too. Wasnt enough ot keep me on Android though, PS Vue was initially only available on Fire TV and wasnt on Android TV so i had to go buy 5 of those i have a bunch of hardware i dont always use. I use the old Android TV's out in the garages and such though

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see i am the opposite, prolly because the TV version has always been the one with the MPEG2 Codec license. Also if you have a network tuner the Android TV integrates it seamlessly into Channels so that is neat too. Wasnt enough ot keep me on Android though, PS Vue was initially only available on Fire TV and wasnt on Android TV so i had to go buy 5 of those i have a bunch of hardware i dont always use. I use the old Android TV's out in the garages and such though

Was not aware of the network tuner. Saw some boxes come out with that recently but didnt know it was standard will all of the Android TV ones.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was not aware of the network tuner. Saw some boxes come out with that recently but didnt know it was standard will all of the Android TV ones.
It has been a standard for quite a few years i forget when i started on the path, it was to originally avoid cable box fees. The guys at SiliconDust put out a good product. I sold my 2 cablecard tuners (each capable of 3 different chanels) and bought a OTA 2 tuner network tuner (HDHR Connect) i also get locals with my Youtube TV but should the internet go down i still have my locals via my trusty network tuner :D

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early on I was a big proponent of PS Vue. I think I am about done with them. They now are charging more than cable companies and they stopped carrying Comedy Central, Science Channel, and some other stuff that are just stupid. Plus their "DVR" is a joke.

Did Sling every fix their UI? May go back to them.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early on I was a big proponent of PS Vue. I think I am about done with them. They now are charging more than cable companies and they stopped carrying Comedy Central, Science Channel, and some other stuff that are just stupid. Plus their "DVR" is a joke.

No idea what UI is my man. I just got sling again and it works good for college football. Orange package

I usually keep sling until about March and then cancel thru the summer

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea i switched to Youtube TV from PS Vue last year (also picked up Philo) so we are technically paying 66 bucks a month but Youtube TV has like 9 months of dvr to hold onto it and a boat load of channels then philo covers the viacom and history/science channels

I couldnt do Sling cuz last i looked they didnt offer BTN and their "DVR" is limited to a certain number of hours (last i looked it was still in BETA)

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea what UI is my man. I just got sling again and it works good for college football. Orange package

I usually keep sling until about March and then cancel thru the summer
UI is user interface, it was horrible with no real "guide" in the past havent looked at it in a while

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea i switched to Youtube TV from PS Vue last year (also picked up Philo) so we are technically paying 66 bucks a month but Youtube TV has like 9 months of dvr to hold onto it and a boat load of channels then philo covers the viacom and history/science channels

I couldnt do Sling cuz last i looked they didnt offer BTN and their "DVR" is limited to a certain number of hours (last i looked it was still in BETA)

I never understood why people need DVR. I barely have time to watch any TV besides a game or movie here and there. If I was single then yeah

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why people need DVR. I barely have time to watch any TV besides a game or movie here and there. If I was single then yeah
When football isnt on :D I like to dvr entire series. I also dvr shows to watch when i go lay down at night i wind down for a couple hours so it is nice to have entire series/seasons to watch. Netflix and Hulu and Amazon dont have everything. I also like to watch TV on my time not when the shows air :D DVR a bunch of kids shows too my youngest son loves dinosaurs

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When football isnt on :D I like to dvr entire series. I also dvr shows to watch when i go lay down at night i wind down for a couple hours so it is nice to have entire series/seasons to watch. Netflix and Hulu and Amazon dont have everything. I also like to watch TV on my time not when the shows air :D DVR a bunch of kids shows too my youngest son loves dinosaurs

Just get the cyberflix app and sign up for real debrid. It has everything. There are other similar apps too.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get the cyberflix app and sign up for real debrid. It has everything. There are other similar apps too.
Eh i like what i have, it is legit and paid for :D I know how to use different ways, there was a short time i did similar with Kodi but i pay for everything these days :D Karma :D

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh i like what i have, it is legit and paid for :D I know how to use different ways, there was a short time i did similar with Kodi but i pay for everything these days :D Karma :D

Thats cool. For me its the cable company that is getting their Karma now.:suds:

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats cool. For me its the cable company that is getting their Karma now.:suds:
Yes I don't deal with cable company for anything got my fiber through CenturyLink and never have issues

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I don't deal with cable company for anything got my fiber through CenturyLink and never have issues

I am waiting for Amazon to do their satellite service. I live in the boonies so I only have Verizon and Cox and Direct TV. They all suck but Verizon is a little better.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am waiting for Amazon to do their satellite service. I live in the boonies so I only have Verizon and Cox and Direct TV. They all suck but Verizon is a little better.
All 3 of those are the devil

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cut off DirecTV today. God do they suck. They didn't even try to keep me. So long fuckers!! :finger2::finger2:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cut off DirecTV today. God do they suck. They didn't even try to keep me. So long fuckers!! :finger2::finger2:

Welcome to the club. Dropped those fuckers back in February. Now it’s all streaming or over the air.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News flash for everyone on PS Vue...it is shutting down on January 30.

Looks like I'll move over to youtube TV, going to do that sooner rather than later.