• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I want to screw the cable company

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends why they want it. Keep in mind though that Amazon sucks with third party apps. Sometimes they cant even be installed (Same with Roku). If all they want is Netflix and Hulu and Amazon then that is probably the best route. If they want third party apps for movies and tv shows which are free and have 10 times what you would get through the pay apps then you might struggle. Also most free sports apps are android as well and dont always work on Amazon. You wont get your locals anywhere else but on the antenna unless you live in a major metro area.

Thanks.

I don't know that we've ever downloaded an App on our Roku...and maybe it can't. As you see, I'm outing myself as not being the most techno-savvy individual.

I'm fine with just continuing to use my digital antenna for network, the Roku for the streaming services, and MAYBE adding a pay channel or two a la carte, if pushed. At least we finally have that option instead of having to pay a hunnert dollers for a thousand channels that we'll never even watch.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends why they want it. Keep in mind though that Amazon sucks with third party apps. Sometimes they cant even be installed (Same with Roku). If all they want is Netflix and Hulu and Amazon then that is probably the best route. If they want third party apps for movies and tv shows which are free and have 10 times what you would get through the pay apps then you might struggle. Also most free sports apps are android as well and dont always work on Amazon. You wont get your locals anywhere else but on the antenna unless you live in a major metro area.
What 3rd party apps have you had issues with.... Ive never had an issue with my fire tv's and i even ran Kodi on them for quite a while before the stand alone HDHR App was made...

I can install almost every single android app that can be installed on android TV device on the Fire TV ...

I can get locals through my Fire TV (android windows and even roku) through HDHR View app. I use a Network OTA tuner since i already have CAT 6 running to every tv no point in splitting up cables and all my devices can access the network tuner (though the Roku doesnt use an app just uses the DLNA of the HDHR Connect) 1 antenna 1 cable and then the device plugs into the network i used to use the Cable Card version of it before ditching cable and goin with Internet TV services.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

I don't know that we've ever downloaded an App on our Roku...and maybe it can't. As you see, I'm outing myself as not being the most techno-savvy individual.

I'm fine with just continuing to use my digital antenna for network, the Roku for the streaming services, and MAYBE adding a pay channel or two a la carte, if pushed. At least we finally have that option instead of having to pay a hunnert dollers for a thousand channels that we'll never even watch.
Roku calls them "Channels" they are essentially Apps though.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roku calls them "Channels" they are essentially Apps though.

Ah, then of course, we've downloaded "channels," but most of them seem to suck to the extent that they're pointless. So many of them ask for your cable subscription anyway, I'm like, "why don't I just pay for the regular channel?"

But I'm too cheap to even do that. That was the whole point of cutting the cord.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought 2 Roku sticks and set them up to stream Xfinity.

I also bought my own cable Modem/Voice/Router so I don't have to rent theirs for internet service.

So, I just have 1 Xfinity box for TV. Saved a ton of money.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, then of course, we've downloaded "channels," but most of them seem to suck to the extent that they're pointless. So many of them ask for your cable subscription anyway, I'm like, "why don't I just pay for the regular channel?"

But I'm too cheap to even do that. That was the whole point of cutting the cord.
If your kids like minecraft Pluto TV is free and has an all Minecraft Channel they have some other stuff too worth a look for sure.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought 2 Roku sticks and set them up to stream Xfinity.

I also bought my own cable Modem/Voice/Router so I don't have to rent theirs for internet service.

So, I just have 1 Xfinity box for TV. Saved a ton of money.
That is essentially what i did with the HDHomerun Prime (cable card network tuner) used my PC as the Whole home DVR everything TV was streamed over the network. But after a while i liked the Internet TV options better and i didnt have to maintain my own DVR anymore Which opened a ton of my 24TB for more Movies without having to buy more HDD's :D Renting equipment is one of cable/sat's biggest gimmicks they wont allow you to purchase it outright so they get you on the hook forever paying to rent shit that you could buy and have paid for in the first year.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your kids like minecraft Pluto TV is free and has an all Minecraft Channel they have some other stuff too worth a look for sure.

Yep, my son downloaded Pluto. He mainly plays Minecraft on his PC, or the PS4, but he also likes to watch videos about it...which is something I kinda didn't get at first.

One day he told me it's like me watching a football or baseball game: sure, I could go play the game in real life, but this is enjoyable, too. After that I didn't question him about it

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. That's a hell of a lot of storage.

Can you burn those movies to DVD's?
i could, but i always just rip my dvd's to my media server. Kids movies and mine are always available via the server and i dont have to go looking for discs (the kids had this nasty habit of snaping them in half before) to be honest i need to get more storage here soon getting low only like 1.5TB free now

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, my son downloaded Pluto. He mainly plays Minecraft on his PC, or the PS4, but he also likes to watch videos about it...which is something I kinda didn't get at first.

One day he told me it's like me watching a football or baseball game: sure, I could go play the game in real life, but this is enjoyable, too. After that I didn't question him about it
yea my kids sometimes prefer to watch over play too, its like getting different ideas to build lego ships and houses etc i get it personally i only watch youtube videos when they want my help building like a huge mansion or something on the family server

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I "get" it, but still don't really... Nobody liked watching when your friends played a game. You wanted to play it.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I "get" it, but still don't really... Nobody liked watching when your friends played a game. You wanted to play it.
E sports has been getting bigger and bigger, they are literally getting millions of viewers now a days

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
E sports has been getting bigger and bigger, they are literally getting millions of viewers now a days
I understand that. I just don't personally "get it".

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What 3rd party apps have you had issues with.... Ive never had an issue with my fire tv's and i even ran Kodi on them for quite a while before the stand alone HDHR App was made...

I can install almost every single android app that can be installed on android TV device on the Fire TV ...

I can get locals through my Fire TV (android windows and even roku) through HDHR View app. I use a Network OTA tuner since i already have CAT 6 running to every tv no point in splitting up cables and all my devices can access the network tuner (though the Roku doesnt use an app just uses the DLNA of the HDHR Connect) 1 antenna 1 cable and then the device plugs into the network i used to use the Cable Card version of it before ditching cable and goin with Internet TV services.

I have had trouble with IPTV Extreme for one firestick. ES file explorer on a couple of Friends. Others that are no longer around that I cant remember anymore. Lots of apps the require Android 8 or higher too. It seems to vary by device it seems. Cant speak for the Fire Boxes other than what I have seen on Youtube. Lots of complaints. I also use IPTV for live TV and that required much more RAM then just watching movies. I found they heat up too much on the Firesticks.

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup. I have been running wire myself although I will use the existing Coax for most of the house setting up MOCA devices.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had trouble with IPTV Extreme for one firestick. ES file explorer on a couple of Friends. Others that are no longer around that I cant remember anymore. Lots of apps the require Android 8 or higher too. It seems to vary by device it seems. Cant speak for the Fire Boxes other than what I have seen on Youtube. Lots of complaints. I also use IPTV for live TV and that required much more RAM then just watching movies. I found they heat up too much on the Firesticks.

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup. I have been running wire myself although I will use the existing Coax for most of the house setting up MOCA devices.
Ah yea the sticks have a crappier hardware profile so that could easily be the issue. I have ES File explorer on all my devices and ive installed anything ive ever wanted on them. Sticks to me shouldnt be more than netflix really. THe boxes are much more robust. The Fire TV boxes are as good or better than all the android except the Shield, but the shields price point it puts it in a different class. I can 100% say the Fire TV box 2nd gen, as that is what i use, is more powerful than the Google Nexus Player Android TV's (ASUS was the manufacturer for them) everything i read about Mi Boxes were just poo

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yea the sticks have a crappier hardware profile so that could easily be the issue. I have ES File explorer on all my devices and ive installed anything ive ever wanted on them. Sticks to me shouldnt be more than netflix really. THe boxes are much more robust. The Fire TV boxes are as good or better than all the android except the Shield, but the shields price point it puts it in a different class. I can 100% say the Fire TV box 2nd gen, as that is what i use, is more powerful than the Google Nexus Player Android TV's (ASUS was the manufacturer for them) everything i read about Mi Boxes were just poo

So many boxes out there now its hard to keep up. If you want netflix > SD though you are stuck Mi. I dont so I can look at a lot of the others. Sunvell T95Q is damn good if you can get it on sale. I am sure better ones will keep coming out too. Even the Shield is seeing competition from some of these new one but they are still not quite there yet. It also helps if you know how to overclock the CPU. Huge performance boost. Just need to make sure the heat is not becoming an issue.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many boxes out there now its hard to keep up. If you want netflix > SD though you are stuck Mi. I dont so I can look at a lot of the others. Sunvell T95Q is damn good if you can get it on sale. I am sure better ones will keep coming out too. Even the Shield is seeing competition from some of these new one but they are still not quite there yet. It also helps if you know how to overclock the CPU. Huge performance boost. Just need to make sure the heat is not becoming an issue.
If you are talking about non official Android TV boxes then sure, those are just android loaded onto boxes. Not quite the same but for many it is useful i suppose :D If you are needing to overclock a CPU on a streaming box device you should prolly just switch to a PC :D

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking about non official Android TV boxes then sure, those are just android loaded onto boxes. Not quite the same but for many it is useful i suppose :D If you are needing to overclock a CPU on a streaming box device you should prolly just switch to a PC :D

LOL, I actually have been looking at the PC boxes thinking that same thing. They are bit more though and when you have a half dozen TVs it gets expensive.

Also, I am not a fan of the Android TV version. I prefer to just have a phone on a box. Which makes me wonder that they can make the phones so powerful but not so much the boxes. I dont see why. My phone have twice the benchmarks of most boxes.