• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Thought I was Over This

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans love their scoring, but the 'D's are obsolete' narratives are hyperbole.

I disagree... Do you have any examples to back up your statement? Offenses are setting records left and right now and are on pace to shatter old records at a record pace... The defense has taken a back seat to the offense in this modern day era...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans love their scoring, but the 'D's are obsolete' narratives are hyperbole.

I disagree... Do you have any examples to back up your statement? Offenses are setting records left and right now and are on pace to shatter old records at a record pace... The defense has taken a back seat to the offense in this modern day era...

It's still advantageous to have a better defense than a worse one even though rules favor offense. When you have a decent defense and play the Rams, for example, you probably give up 30 points. If you have a defense like KC, then you may give up 50+. While allowing 30 points is not good, it's still quite a bit better than giving up 50.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i8uSSL

But they won't stay ascendant forever.

Take a different sport if you like. Were athletes like Gretzky just on a different level than they are today? Nope. Goaltending has just gotten a whole bunch better, defensive strategy became 'ascendant,' (neutral zone trap), and equipment made goalies MUCH bigger to cover more of the net.

But it's not the athletes. They've gotten bigger/faster/and more skilled.

It's just the natural ebb/flow of the sport.

So I'm not saying that there isn't an offensive primacy happening right now, what I'm saying is that defense will adapt, and they'll even it out, or change the storyline eventually.

Besides, D always is more valuable in the playoffs anyway. Always has been.

Remember a certain team from the Rocky Mountains who set all kinds of all-time offensive records? How'd they do in the Superbowl?

super-bowl-48

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still advantageous to have a better defense than a worse one even though rules favor offense. When you have a decent defense and play the Rams, for example, you probably give up 30 points. If you have a defense like KC, then you may give up 50+. While allowing 30 points is not good, it's still quite a bit better than giving up 50.

Absolutely. Heck, even that game in a microcosm D is what decided it. Rams defense got gashed, but it also had big plays that scored, and was able to get some key pressures and stops late.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Heck, even that game in a microcosm D is what decided it. Rams defense got gashed, but it also had big plays that scored, and was able to get some key pressures and stops late.
Yeah, I said it to my son pretty much as soon as it was over: the Rams won that game because they were able to pressure Mahomes with just 4 and drop everyone else in coverage. I think it's a big reason we won SB48 as well.

Defense wasn't good in that game on Monday, but key defensive plays were probably the difference, as you say.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah rams D although not very good was Better than KC's and KC's Offense is slightly better than the rams. So the team with the Better D and not the Better O ( not by much lol ) won.

Saints O matched to their 13 rated D in PPG is the team to stop if you ask me.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being a Seattle guy, I have no idea, but if I were a betting man, at least someone who worked on those videos is a video pro of some kind.

So 'fan' videos, but with a *

:)
Yourself, perhaps?:wink: