• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think we have pinpointed the moment that started the end of Jimmie Johnson's dominance

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's go back in time to June of 2017. Jimmie was off to great start to the season, and at Dover, he won his 3rd race of the first half of the season, there was no way to know that would be the last would see him win(watch him pull a Tony Stewart and pull one last win out of his ass just so I have egg on face).

But the very next race in Pocono, he had a brake failure and had what might have been the hardest crash of his career, certainly the hardest since he was a full time Busch driver and lost his brakes at Watkins Glen.

I think that crash at his age took a little bit of edge out of him, and in a sport like NASCAR, if you lose any edge, winning will be tough. He's still in great shape, so that's not it, and he's the same age as Kevin Harvick, who is still a threat to win every race, so that's not it. He hasn't won a race since that wreck.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll guarantee you if Jimmie Johnson went into the last race of the season with a chance to win his 8th Championship it would be time to throw the rule book out the window. The 48 could go down pit road 100 MPH and the clocks would fail to catch it. Everybody else would be racing for second place.

Last edited:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll guarantee you if Jimmie Johnson went into the last race of the season with a chance to win his 8th Championship it would be time to throw the rule book out the window. The 48 could go down pit road 100 MPH and the clocks would fail to catch it. Everybody else would be racing for second place.

I don't think so. He's been on the wrong end of a lot of highly questionable penalties throughout his career. Being the most dominant driver for a long time and not having many fans or haters will make the sanctioning body try to stop you. He's the reason why we have this stupid format. Had they just kept the old Winston Cup points system with no Chase, Jimmie would be a 3 time champion, so really, they kinda made him the most dominant driver by giving him 4 extra championships.