• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I haven't done this since 2012- but I am predicting a Phillies winning season

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I can't remember my prediction one way or another for the 2013 season, but I will say that I knew that that team was going to start a steep decline. Whether or not I knew 2013 would be as bad as it was- I don't know, but I know a sub-.500 record was a definite possibility.

I don't like when people tried to rush things in 2015-2017, saying "This is our year. We're turning it all around." It was clear to any sensible fan that those teams were not good teams, and their records reflected that. (Especially 2017, when they finished with a totally predictable 66-96 record. I guess @northeastphillyguy's 95 win prediction, in May 2017 no less, was a little off.)

Going off that, if I had to say, I don't think the Phillies will make the playoffs this year, though a first or second Wild Card would not shock me. I definitely view it in the realm of events that could happen (as opposed to the realm of events that will almost surely not happen, like the Phils winning 100 games or VV winning the CYA).

But I do think they will finish with a winning record. I'll go with 83 wins exactly. That's a 17 win bump from last year. (The three largest win increases from 2016 ---> 2017 teams were the Twins, who went from 59 wins to 85 wins (+26), the Diamondbacks, who went from 69 wins to 93 wins (+24), and the Astros, who went from 84 wins to 101 (+17). So it does happen.)

Fangraphs has us at 74 wins this year, but they're always middle of the pack predictors, just like any prediction system.

I see our offense as pretty good. Hoskins, Odubel, Williams will all shine in the outfield, and I still believe Altherr will get a good number of starts platooning with Williams and possibly Herrera. I think Cesar will regress, but still be good at second base. I think Santana has a very good year (3.5 win season), though his defense will hurt us. I'm not sold on Crawford, I don't think much of Alfaro/Rupp (in fact Knapp is our best catcher of the three, IMO). Maikel Franco just sucks, and I hope Kapler has a short leash with him. Best case scenario, Hernandez is starting at third base in June, with Kingery at second base.

Our rotation leaves a lot to be desired. That's (obviously) going to be our achilles heel. Nola is (at worst) a top 20 SP, and I do think Eickhoff will be better than last year when he was hurt. Our 3-5 will be disastrous though.

Our bullpen should be slightly above average.

83 wins. Let's see it Phillies.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I can't remember my prediction one way or another for the 2013 season, but I will say that I knew that that team was going to start a steep decline. Whether or not I knew 2013 would be as bad as it was- I don't know, but I know a sub-.500 record was a definite possibility.

I don't like when people tried to rush things in 2015-2017, saying "This is our year. We're turning it all around." It was clear to any sensible fan that those teams were not good teams, and their records reflected that. (Especially 2017, when they finished with a totally predictable 66-96 record. I guess @northeastphillyguy's 95 win prediction, in May 2017 no less, was a little off.)

Going off that, if I had to say, I don't think the Phillies will make the playoffs this year, though a first or second Wild Card would not shock me. I definitely view it in the realm of events that could happen (as opposed to the realm of events that will almost surely not happen, like the Phils winning 100 games or VV winning the CYA).

But I do think they will finish with a winning record. I'll go with 83 wins exactly. That's a 17 win bump from last year. (The three largest win increases from 2016 ---> 2017 teams were the Twins, who went from 59 wins to 85 wins (+26), the Diamondbacks, who went from 69 wins to 93 wins (+24), and the Astros, who went from 84 wins to 101 (+17). So it does happen.)

Fangraphs has us at 74 wins this year, but they're always middle of the pack predictors, just like any prediction system.

I see our offense as pretty good. Hoskins, Odubel, Williams will all shine in the outfield, and I still believe Altherr will get a good number of starts platooning with Williams and possibly Herrera. I think Cesar will regress, but still be good at second base. I think Santana has a very good year (3.5 win season), though his defense will hurt us. I'm not sold on Crawford, I don't think much of Alfaro/Rupp (in fact Knapp is our best catcher of the three, IMO). Maikel Franco just sucks, and I hope Kapler has a short leash with him. Best case scenario, Hernandez is starting at third base in June, with Kingery at second base.

Our rotation leaves a lot to be desired. That's (obviously) going to be our achilles heel. Nola is (at worst) a top 20 SP, and I do think Eickhoff will be better than last year when he was hurt. Our 3-5 will be disastrous though.

Our bullpen should be slightly above average.

83 wins. Let's see it Phillies.

Yeah, that might be a little ambitious, but I could see a winning season. I think Vegas has the total at 75.5 which I'm sure is way above where they were going into last season. I agree with most of what you said there. For some reason I'm way more optimistic about Crawford than most people. Starting pitching is the weak spot. I think Nola is one of the best. From what I've heard, baseball people think Eickhoff will be solid. Other than that, it is wide open. Pivetta could go either way, or he could just continue to alternate between being good and terrible. Vinnie V could be ok or he could get injured after 2 starts or something. The more I think about it, they really need another established starter. I guess the question is do you spend a bunch of money on an Arrieta to go from 78 to 83 wins and still not make the playoffs?
Also, I can't believe Tommy Joseph is still on the team. I guess he could be a good bench guy (I think he has good splits against lefties).
Once again, it seems like the Phillies construct their roster just hoping that the NL will suddenly go to the DH and they'll be ahead of the curve.....

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that might be a little ambitious, but I could see a winning season. I think Vegas has the total at 75.5 which I'm sure is way above where they were going into last season. I agree with most of what you said there. For some reason I'm way more optimistic about Crawford than most people. Starting pitching is the weak spot. I think Nola is one of the best. From what I've heard, baseball people think Eickhoff will be solid. Other than that, it is wide open. Pivetta could go either way, or he could just continue to alternate between being good and terrible. Vinnie V could be ok or he could get injured after 2 starts or something. The more I think about it, they really need another established starter. I guess the question is do you spend a bunch of money on an Arrieta to go from 78 to 83 wins and still not make the playoffs?
Also, I can't believe Tommy Joseph is still on the team. I guess he could be a good bench guy (I think he has good splits against lefties).
Once again, it seems like the Phillies construct their roster just hoping that the NL will suddenly go to the DH and they'll be ahead of the curve.....
I pray they don't sign Arrieta. That would be such a classic Ruben move. This team likely won't make the playoffs until at least 2019, and Arrieta will be 32 this year. I was hoping the Nats felt they were still "one piece away" from getting to the NLCS and signed him to a massive contract.

I think Tom McCarthy had his henchmen "convince" Klentak and Kapler to hold onto Joseph so that he could do his lame Ben Davis look-alike comparisons for one more year

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to hijack the Padres board YET AGAIN, but we really need your input on this one. I think I've conclusively proven in 1 post that your beloved '80s decade, in its entirety, is gay. It's honor is on the line, and without a rebuttal, that's the way the history books will likely be written

Is David Bowie and/or his music gay?

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think 2019 is when they break through. 16 wins is a big jump. I'd still bet the over, but I think 80 wins is about as optimistic as I'd get.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think 2019 is when they break through. 16 wins is a big jump. I'd still bet the over, but I think 80 wins is about as optimistic as I'd get.
I think that that's very reasonable. If we do get to 80 wins this year (first time since 2012), I'll be very happy.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why they’ll exceed it: The tide has turned in Philadelphia. Rhys Hoskins is ready to take the National League by storm again, Carlos Santana provides an outstanding jolt and the kids are ready to take flight. Add in a NL Cy Young push by Aaron Nola, good bullpen and Gabe Kapler’s energy in the dugout and a sleeper emerges.

I'm sold! Headed out to the Strip tonight to place my bet in person

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why they’ll exceed it: The tide has turned in Philadelphia. Rhys Hoskins is ready to take the National League by storm again, Carlos Santana provides an outstanding jolt and the kids are ready to take flight. Add in a NL Cy Young push by Aaron Nola, good bullpen and Gabe Kapler’s energy in the dugout and a sleeper emerges.

I'm sold! Headed out to the Strip tonight to place my bet in person
Word. If the Phillies are serious about winning, Carlos Santana is the guy that will lead the way.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I must say I'm a little worried that he still has some bat speed. I seen him at the Mann Music Center in like '92 and he looked like he was in his 40's even then

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word. If the Phillies are serious about winning, Carlos Santana is the guy that will lead the way.

Oh this is just too great.