• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hate the LA Chargers

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they drafted Mahomes, they would have had something to replace him with. However, Mahomes is never gonna be anything compared to Brees and might end up worse than Cam because I can't see any maturity in this player.
Brees is 38, he can't last forever, and the Saints have to find his replacement. I dont see any of the 2017 draft QBs starting this year. Not saying one or two wont start but I think they all have big learning curves ahead of them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Chargers draft a lot but they are going to have to pay the piper on a QB, too, eventually. They are setting themselves up to win 8-12 games the next couple of seasons and then have Rivers retire. Either Rivers is going to get hurt and they'll tank 1 season or they'll have to do a trade up like the Broncos and Chiefs and develop a guy.

I'm also not a huge Mike Williams fan. He'll be a good WR and he might be a star because the Chargers have so many other weapons in place. The problem is that the Chargers might be going into next season with a potentially suspect defense. Their advanced numbers were pretty good last year but in the clutch it was nowhere to be found.

I'm definitely waiting 3 years on this draft. Chiefs can win this if they hit on 2 of their top players but they pretty much have to hit on Mahomes. If they dont then its 4th place by default.

While I agree the Chargers are headed for a QB problem unless they do like the Cowboys and find a savior in the draft pretty darn quick, I disagree that they are setting themselves up for poor seasons. Think they are right in the thick of things barring injuries in the AFC west.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree the Chargers are headed for a QB problem unless they do like the Cowboys and find a savior in the draft pretty darn quick, I disagree that they are setting themselves up for poor seasons. Think they are right in the thick of things barring injuries in the AFC west.
What I meant is that I think the Chargers will win 8-12 games each season while Rivers is still good. That being said, the number of seasons that applies is shrinking and could hit zero at any point.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I meant is that I think the Chargers will win 8-12 games each season while Rivers is still good. That being said, the number of seasons that applies is shrinking and could hit zero at any point.
It's a pickle no doubt. Similar to the situation the Cowboys were in, except Rivers been much more healthy.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Clippers had a pretty solid draft.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still weird to see Los Angeles Chargers. Still by all accounts they had a good draft so that's the main thing.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still weird to see Los Angeles Chargers. Still by all accounts they had a good draft so that's the main thing.
Hell LAC for the Clippers still confuses me. It will take me awhile to get on board with the LA Chargers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Chargers draft a lot but they are going to have to pay the piper on a QB, too, eventually. They are setting themselves up to win 8-12 games the next couple of seasons and then have Rivers retire. Either Rivers is going to get hurt and they'll tank 1 season or they'll have to do a trade up like the Broncos and Chiefs and develop a guy.

I'm also not a huge Mike Williams fan. He'll be a good WR and he might be a star because the Chargers have so many other weapons in place. The problem is that the Chargers might be going into next season with a potentially suspect defense. Their advanced numbers were pretty good last year but in the clutch it was nowhere to be found.

I'm definitely waiting 3 years on this draft. Chiefs can win this if they hit on 2 of their top players but they pretty much have to hit on Mahomes. If they dont then its 4th place by default.

As you should for the Chiefs. Pretty much everything hinges on the play of Mahomes. He plays well and Chiefs sky rocket to having one of the best drafts of any team. He tanks and well this draft could cost them about a 5 year window of being able to win a Super Bowl if not more. That is why I would argue the trade the Broncos made to get Lynch is such a better deal. If he tanks they at least didn't give up 2 1st round picks to get him. Not as much invested in him being successful. IF he is then the Broncos enter into another 4-year window where they compete for the Super Bowl. If not then keep trying like they did with Chad Kelly this year.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees is 38, he can't last forever, and the Saints have to find his replacement. I dont see any of the 2017 draft QBs starting this year. Not saying one or two wont start but I think they all have big learning curves ahead of them.

Brees has been hurt less than the average qb in his 20s. And until Brady shows signs of decline it's a moot point with Brees.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes is not the next Andrew Luck. I want Andrew Luck to replace Brees because he's stuck on a team that's letting the texans run over his team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes is not the next Andrew Luck. I want Andrew Luck to replace Brees because he's stuck on a team that's letting the texans run over his team.
If the Colts trade Luck, it'll be because he can't play anymore because he gets hit 10 times every game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So going to the Saints is a better place for him to go? I mean they haven't had a winning season since 2013 and that is with a top-5 QB at the helm. They have done a terrible job managing their cap and actually building an entire roster that can make the team competitive. Sounds a lot like what has happened with the Colts and Andrew Luck. To me he shouldn't have signed his deal with the Colts. They haven't shown the intelligence to actually build around him up to this point (actually liked their draft this past weekend). So could have held out and gone to a team committed to building a championship roster. To me the Broncos would be a perfect landing spot. They have made quite the splash of taking Colts' QB's and turning them into Super Bowl winners.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So going to the Saints is a better place for him to go? I mean they haven't had a winning season since 2013 and that is with a top-5 QB at the helm. They have done a terrible job managing their cap and actually building an entire roster that can make the team competitive. Sounds a lot like what has happened with the Colts and Andrew Luck. To me he shouldn't have signed his deal with the Colts. They haven't shown the intelligence to actually build around him up to this point (actually liked their draft this past weekend). So could have held out and gone to a team committed to building a championship roster. To me the Broncos would be a perfect landing spot. They have made quite the splash of taking Colts' QB's and turning them into Super Bowl winners.

That cap was cleared this offseason. They had 30 million in FA to spend and decided not to overspend on any big players. In the NFC South, Cam and Ryan and Winston know that thy have an advantage Brees doesn't and it's their defenses. If the saints are a top 20 defense, they win this division nine times out of ten. And Luck is a better QB than them as well.

Luck would absolutely be as good as Brees was. The saints are already getting younger, they have Rankins, Lattimore, Breaux, Vacarro, Bell, the new safety Williams. Their secondary is almost solid if healthy. There's a good chance AP changes game outcomes because he's the alternative Brees needs and the RB they drafted is supposed to fill the void left by Sproles. The olineman they drafted is insurance for another Armstead injury. They were top five in QB hits last year, yes top five. Now they have infused youth at safety and corners with players that are supposed to be good. There's no Ken Crawley, Jairus Byrd in the secondary now. If not this year, next year their defense will be moderate enough to take the division and if Brees hasn't fallen off then, then look out. I also don't want to say this but it's possible the Cardell Hayes trial had an effect on the team last year.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That cap was cleared this offseason. They had 30 million in FA to spend and decided not to overspend on any big players. In the NFC South, Cam and Ryan and Winston know that thy have an advantage Brees doesn't and it's their defenses. If the saints are a top 20 defense, they win this division nine times out of ten. And Luck is a better QB than them as well.

Luck would absolutely be as good as Brees was. The saints are already getting younger, they have Rankins, Lattimore, Breaux, Vacarro, Bell, the new safety Williams. Their secondary is almost solid if healthy. There's a good chance AP changes game outcomes because he's the alternative Brees needs and the RB they drafted is supposed to fill the void left by Sproles. The olineman they drafted is insurance for another Armstead injury. They were top five in QB hits last year, yes top five. Now they have infused youth at safety and corners with players that are supposed to be good. There's no Ken Crawley, Jairus Byrd in the secondary now. If not this year, next year their defense will be moderate enough to take the division and if Brees hasn't fallen off then, then look out. I also don't want to say this but it's possible the Cardell Hayes trial had an effect on the team last year.

Cmon - Luck is not going anywhere at least for 5+ years & - as mentioned previously - if the Colts get rid of him it will because his skills have diminished. Brees is about the only current QB who started with another team who is very effective & that was due to a very unique situation w/ the Chargers & injury concerns at the time for Brees.

Face facts - if you want to find a new QB you have to do it in the draft & that will always be a crapshoot. Teams just have to do their homework, draft a QB who is viewed as a future starter & hope they get lucky.

As for Mahomes maturity - what do you expect? He is 21 years old & learning. He likely will be sitting on the bench for a while in KC & hopefully learning from Smith. That could very well be to the advantage of him & the Chiefs. The same could have been possible if the Saints drafted him. I know that Brees & Brady always like to say that they will play another 4-5 years, but that is questionable since one hit could dramatically change that for either one of them. We will see.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon - Luck is not going anywhere at least for 5+ years & - as mentioned previously - if the Colts get rid of him it will because his skills have diminished. Brees is about the only current QB who started with another team who is very effective & that was due to a very unique situation w/ the Chargers & injury concerns at the time for Brees.

Face facts - if you want to find a new QB you have to do it in the draft & that will always be a crapshoot. Teams just have to do their homework, draft a QB who is viewed as a future starter & hope they get lucky.

As for Mahomes maturity - what do you expect? He is 21 years old & learning. He likely will be sitting on the bench for a while in KC & hopefully learning from Smith. That could very well be to the advantage of him & the Chiefs. The same could have been possible if the Saints drafted him. I know that Brees & Brady always like to say that they will play another 4-5 years, but that is questionable since one hit could dramatically change that for either one of them. We will see.

I'll add to that last part. It isn't even just about one hit. With QB's it seems like when they hit that wall they just fall off dramatically. I mean Manning in 2013 had the best season a QB has ever had. In 2014 he started out just like that throwing 29 touchdowns to only 7 interceptions. Over the final 7 games of the season he only threw 10 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. Just hit that wall hard and of course we all know that the 2015 season even before his injury was a disaster of actual play on the field. Yes the team won the Super Bowl but I think most would agree Manning had very little to do with that other than his leadership qualities in the locker room.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok but I can come up with those same arguments for a lot of teams. Over the last 6 years the Saints have done a terrible job building a team around Brees. Yeah they made some smart decisions recently to try and get their cap situation under control. They honestly didn't have any other choice though. They had kicked the can to the end of the road and it was time to pay the piper. We will have to see if all these new moves now actually work out for them.

My main argument though is that I don't think the Saints have shown any better ability than the Colts at this point. If Luck were to leave the Colts for another team I would think it would be to go to a team committed to truly building a championship roster around him. That is why I pointed to the Broncos as that was the big promise to Manning when he arrived and well his final year he didn't have to do much but the team still won the Super Bowl. Not every team in the league is fully committed to winning a Super Bowl.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck the Chargers. Glad to see their 1st round pick may not play at all this year. They'll get hit with more injuries, and having once again paid no attention to the O-line, will be fucked. Wild card at best if everything goes their way. 6-8 wins is most likely. I've seen this dance before.

Rivers had a great O-line for 2 years. Went 14-2 his first year starting, then went to the AFC Championship. My frustration since 2008 had been the unwillingness to build a great O-line for a great QB. Now that they fucked San Diego, I can just sit back and laugh.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck the Chargers. Glad to see their 1st round pick may not play at all this year. They'll get hit with more injuries, and having once again paid no attention to the O-line, will be fucked. Wild card at best if everything goes their way. 6-8 wins is most likely. I've seen this dance before.

Rivers had a great O-line for 2 years. Went 14-2 his first year starting, then went to the AFC Championship. My frustration since 2008 had been the unwillingness to build a great O-line for a great QB. Now that they fucked San Diego, I can just sit back and laugh.

What was funny was even when the Chargers went to the AFCCG with Norv Turner as the HC, the fans never embraced him. He arrived on the heels of a 14-2 season and led the team to an 11-5 finish. That looks like a 3 game drop off but 14-2 is a tough act to follow and most teams that have actually reached that level only have one or two such finishes. Several teams have never reached a regular season record that good. So the Chargers going 11-5 in Turner's first year was actually a very impressive performance, yet even as they played the undefeated Pats pretty tough in the AFCCG the fans in San Diego never embraced Turner. The following year they went 8-8 and the AFC West was so bad they still won the division and added another playoff win to their history before the Steelers finished them off. And of course the Chargers went 13-3 in 2009 but stumbled against the Jets in the playoffs, bringing Turner's playoff record with the Chargers to 3-3. Fans hated the guy but when you consider the Chargers record in the playoffs as a franchise is 11-17 Turner coached them to a significant chunk of it.

When you have a roster as good as what the Chargers had in that window I can see why the fans would be disappointed overall with the lack of a Super Bowl run. A few years removed one would think they'd be able to take a step back and acknowledge he Turner was probably a bit under appreciated.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was funny was even when the Chargers went to the AFCCG with Norv Turner as the HC, the fans never embraced him. He arrived on the heels of a 14-2 season and led the team to an 11-5 finish. That looks like a 3 game drop off but 14-2 is a tough act to follow and most teams that have actually reached that level only have one or two such finishes. Several teams have never reached a regular season record that good. So the Chargers going 11-5 in Turner's first year was actually a very impressive performance, yet even as they played the undefeated Pats pretty tough in the AFCCG the fans in San Diego never embraced Turner. The following year they went 8-8 and the AFC West was so bad they still won the division and added another playoff win to their history before the Steelers finished them off. And of course the Chargers went 13-3 in 2009 but stumbled against the Jets in the playoffs, bringing Turner's playoff record with the Chargers to 3-3. Fans hated the guy but when you consider the Chargers record in the playoffs as a franchise is 11-17 Turner coached them to a significant chunk of it.

When you have a roster as good as what the Chargers had in that window I can see why the fans would be disappointed overall with the lack of a Super Bowl run. A few years removed one would think they'd be able to take a step back and acknowledge he Turner was probably a bit under appreciated.
Norv Turner has more playoff wins than any coach in Chargers history. Crazy I know.

That said I'm no fan of Turner. He made some stupid decisions and was a puppet for AJ Smith. They blew it because they valued skill positions over the O-line. They traded up to get Ryan Mathews and drafted a lineman in the first round exactly zero times, until Telesco drafted DJ Fluker, who they cut this year. Glad I'm free of this pain.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you see it

giphy.gif