• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Found Something Dumber than the Marcus Peters Trade

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags are drafting 29th, do you think Jackson would still be available? If he is perhaps they draft him. However as the Broncos have shown drafting a QB that isn’t ready for the big league can be a waste of time and leave you at a dead end.
No, but I would trade up to grab him if that's what it took.

While I definitely agree with your sentiment about drafting projects, I actually do think Jackson is ready for the NFL. Paxton never was, never will be, and quite frankly the more I hear about him he seems more interested in call of duty than he is football. It's a risk you must take if you're the Jags, you're far too close, and too far away from signing Cousins at this point. I think Jackson tomorrow is an upgrade over Bortles. Mason Rudolph is just more of the same.

The Jags truly are a QB away from being the best team in the NFL, imo.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I would trade up to grab him if that's what it took.

While I definitely agree with your sentiment about drafting projects, I actually do think Jackson is ready for the NFL. Paxton never was, never will be, and quite frankly the more I hear about him he seems more interested in call of duty than he is football. It's a risk you must take if you're the Jags, you're far too close, and too far away from signing Cousins at this point. I think Jackson tomorrow is an upgrade over Bortles. Mason Rudolph is just more of the same.

The Jags truly are a QB away from being the best team in the NFL, imo.

See the thing is signing Bortles doesn't mean they can't do exactly that, just gives them a bit of insurance. I know in your universe only a small handful of QBs would be making more then the punter, but that's not how it works in the real world.:nod:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the thing is signing Bortles doesn't mean they can't do exactly that, just gives them a bit of insurance. I know in your universe only a small handful of QBs would be making more then the punter, but that's not how it works in the real world.:nod:
Hehe

It's not mutually exclusive, but it's waste of scarce resources, and is therefore a failure of opportunity cost. I used the same basic argument when the Bears signed Glennon.

As for the punter comment, that is kind of half true as I'd love if everyone was on a rookie contract. But you're right, not the real world. Keeping Bortles on the backburner at minimal cost is the best move in this reality. Every dollar counts, and the Jags best window they're going to have at a SB is right now. Wasting money on a more accomplished version of Glennon is unacceptable.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hehe

It's not mutually exclusive, but it's waste of scarce resources, and is therefore a failure of opportunity cost. I used the same basic argument when the Bears signed Glennon.

As for the punter comment, that is kind of half true as I'd love if everyone was on a rookie contract. But you're right, not the real world. Keeping Bortles on the backburner at minimal cost is the best move in this reality. Every dollar counts, and the Jags best window they're going to have at a SB is right now. Wasting money on a more accomplished version of Glennon is unacceptable.
Some folks feel insurance is waste of money, especially if they pay for but don’t use. Opinion vary on the subject. I contend that drafting a QB then trying to groom him for a few years only to find he’s not the QB they were hoping for sets a team back and waste the talent they do have, Bortles could be a example, but feel Paxton is a better example.
There is no guarantee that the Jags could move up and grab a QB of their choice without paying so dearly that it won’t make sense. Which is one more reason to sign Bortles.
Evaluating college QBs is not as easy as fans believe. Amazing how many fans feel they would be great at it. It’s more a crapshoot then a science, otherwise you won’t see so many duds. So having a backup plan is a good idea. Bortles was signed cheap and the Jags can get out relatively soon and they were just one victory away from the SB with Bortles. This is how a good front office does their job.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I still see the same Tebow-esque mechanics with the windup, the accuracy is still horrific even on layups such as screens, and the decisionmaking ability on any throw where that actually matters is deeply questionable as far as I can tell. The Jags kneeled to run out the first half because they couldn't trust Bortles, yet they want to give him money? Why not just bring in a rookie like Lamar Jackson? He may have had better numbers, but numbers just represent outputs, not inputs at a certain point. The Jags have nobody to blame but themselves for not winning the SB this year.

We've seen people make this mistake with Bortles at least once with the 30+ TD season. It's still the same pile of junk.

55 seconds left in the half... and the lead on the road in Foxboro? I think a lot of coaches run the clock out there.

I also think it is still possible they draft a Lamar Jackson. This contract isn't some big commitment to Bortles. This could very well just be a contract for Bortles to act as a bridge to their next QB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
55 seconds left in the half... and the lead on the road in Foxboro? I think a lot of coaches run the clock out there.

I also think it is still possible they draft a Lamar Jackson. This contract isn't some big commitment to Bortles. This could very well just be a contract for Bortles to act as a bridge to their next QB.
Maybe cowards do- and if so Marrone is not a good coach. NE doesn't have a good defense and Jax was moving the ball all half. Giving any additional money at all is bad. Could have done nothing and he would remain a bridge to the next QB. This is silliness.

Teams beat themselves thinking like this, imo.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe cowards do- and if so Marrone is not a good coach. NE doesn't have a good defense and Jax was moving the ball all half. Giving any additional money at all is bad. Could have done nothing and he would remain a bridge to the next QB. This is silliness.

What if moving up to grab a QB is too cost prohibitive? Or do you think that any cost would be worth it?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I'm understanding the numbers... It's a 3-yr, $54mil deal ($26.5mil guaranteed), with incentives to boost it another $12.5mil... Base $18m per year (+$4mil per year in incentives)... So if he balls out like we've very rarely seen, he could max out & be paid just over $22mil per year. Not a crippling contract at all. Seems pretty damn smart IMO. He's a terrible QB at times, but has shown capable of playing well.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if moving up to grab a QB is too cost prohibitive? Or do you think that any cost would be worth it?
If you believe in a QB, almost no cost is too prohibitive with the way QB value is since drafting QB's have become cheap. I don't think Jackson is going top 10 exactly, so it should be doable, but painful, for the Jags to do. If they don't believe in any of the QB's, then I get that. I disagree, but I get that if that's the case.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I'm understanding the numbers... It's a 3-yr, $54mil deal ($26.5mil guaranteed), with incentives to boost it another $12.5mil... Base $18m per year (+$4mil per year in incentives)... So if he balls out like we've rarely seen, he could be paid just over $22mil per year. Not a crippling contract at all. Seems pretty damn smart IMO. He's a terrible QB at times, but has shown capable of playing well.
This is frighteningly similar to what people said about Glennon about this time in the offseason last year. He's a terrible QB most of the time, with random stretches of effective. I just don't buy that it's worth forfeiting the opportunity cost his pay raise represents. They didn't have to do anything with Bortles. They could have sat on their asses and done nothing and it'd make sense. Giving Bortles more GTD money than you already are makes little sense given he is a bad QB. Just draft a QB and start the better QB; if the rookie, you have a useful backup in Bortles that can win with this Jags roster.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moose the long time Bears fan has dug his heels in against Bortles.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is frighteningly similar to what people said about Glennon about this time in the offseason last year. He's a terrible QB most of the time, with random stretches of effective. I just don't buy that it's worth forfeiting the opportunity cost his pay raise represents. They didn't have to do anything with Bortles. They could have sat on their asses and done nothing and it'd make sense. Giving Bortles more GTD money than you already are makes little sense given he is a bad QB. Just draft a QB and start the better QB; if the rookie, you have a useful backup in Bortles that can win with this Jags roster.

While I agree "marrying" yourself to Bortles for 3 years isn't ideal... But crippling your team in the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes is an even worse decision IMO.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes him the 19th highest paid qb. It’s not bad

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacksonville barely lost the afc championship last season with Bortles but I guess if you say they weren't threats to compete then we should just take your word for it lol!

This tells me all I need to know about Blake Bortles.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Teams beat themselves thinking like this, imo.

I've seen BB run out the clock at the end of the 1st half before. I don't love it... but I think it was an appropriate move.

It would appear as though you're really searching out for something to confirm your beliefs. In reality, Bortles had a solid year. Not good, but certainly not bad either. When Fournette was hobbled and struggled the last part of the year. Bortles had some top-notch performances to carry them to a few wins. Even in games where the defense was far less than stellar... vs SEA, vs PIT. He came through.

They paid him nothing for a QB. 26.5 mil is chump change. They have less invested per year into their QB, than the majority of NFL teams. None of the big QB prospects will be there at the end of the 1st. They most likely just don't like the ones that will be there. Bortles showed some good things this past year.

The deal is fine...