• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I am realizing that i actually LOVE the extra innings rule!!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I know that it is a bastardization to baseball... and is pretty much a gimmick....

BUT it really is a great rule.... it satisfies everything and everyone...

It remains a fair rule since both teams get the same advantage, so no ONE team can say they got screwed..

But it makes that half inning exciting... starting with a man on second, the question is Can you prevent that man from scoring?? so every extra half inning, all starts off with an exciting question...

then there is strategy, does a team go small ball and go all out to get that one runner to score, or do they go for the big inning with risk of total failure...

and then the odds of both teams matching the same results is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... which means the chances of going 12 + innings is less than it ever was...

So, It is a fair rule that doesn't give either team a real advantage
It is more exciting for fans,
there is added strategy for offenses
there is added strategy for pitching and defense
and it successfully speeds up the game...

It checks all 5 boxes of any intended rule change...

So the only thing against the rule is that it is not part of the original rules, and is a gimmick...

Next questions
is it such a bad rule that it will LOSE fans?? the answer is definitely no

Will it help attract new fans?? Absolutely!!! for reasons that were explained earlier, that it speeds up the game, adds excitement, and adds other things...

So i Welcome this rule change to stay... Even though i dont expect it to at all....

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I know that it is a bastardization to baseball... and is pretty much a gimmick....

It remains a fair rule since both teams get the same advantage, so no ONE team can say they got screwed..

But it makes that half inning exciting... starting with a man on second, the question is Can you prevent that man from scoring?? so every extra half inning, all starts off with an exciting question...

then there is strategy, does a team go small ball and go all out to get that one runner to score, or do they go for the big inning with risk of total failure...

and then the odds of both teams matching the same results is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... which means the chances of going 12 + innings is less than it ever was...

So the only thing against the rule is that it is not part of the original rules, and is a gimmick...

Next questions

Will it help attract new fans?? Absolutely!!! for reasons that were explained earlier, that it speeds up the game, adds excitement, and adds other things...

So i Welcome this rule change to stay... Even though i dont expect it to at all....
Yeah, I agree. I went to an Angel game in like 89 and that motherfucker went 19 innings and my dumb ass stayed fer the whole thing. Brian Downing hit a shot in one of the extra innings and fucking Gary Pettis robbed him and the game continued. Fun fact: Last time I checked that is still considered one of the top 50 plays in BB history. Dude was like half over the fence.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Next questions

I don’t need the game to be sped up.
It doesn’t add excitement for me.
It doesn’t add strategy, as pitchers and coaches already have a strategy for a man on 2nd with no outs.
If it adds new fans, then those fans are pretty silly. You’re either a baseball fan or not. You’re not a former fan who returned thanks to the 10th inning rule, or a non fan who takes up baseball because of this rule.

I agree with the gimmick part.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree. I went to an Angel game in like 89 and that motherfucker went 19 innings and my dumb ass stayed fer the whole thing. Brian Downing hit a shot in one of the extra innings and fucking Gary Pettis robbed him and the game continued. Fun fact: Last time I checked that is still considered one of the top 50 plays in BB history. Dude was like half over the fence.
I'm gonna say that would be awesome. I don't I've ever been to a game that went more than 11 innings or so.

new rule sucks. games going that long are rare and that makes them special IMO, not something to be legislated out of the game.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t need the game to be sped up.
It doesn’t add excitement for me.
It doesn’t add strategy, as pitchers already have a strategy for a man on 2nd with no outs.
If it adds new fans, then those fans are pretty silly. You’re either a baseball fan or not. You’re not a former fan who returned thanks to the 10th inning rule, or a non fan who takes up baseball because of this rule.

I agree with the gimmick part.

I didn't say that this rule alone will make new fans... I said it will help... Just like any rule that successfully does its intent...

sounds like you still need to be converted... try watching the new extra innings rule without the preconceived hatred of the rule... I guarantee you will see that it is more exciting or just flat out more emotional...

Im a Yankee Fan, this rule sucks for them... they have had multiple tries this season so far where they didnt score any runs... it is flat out depressing to watch that... and thats whats so great about this rule... it brings back emotion into the game!!!

I love it!!! even if i am exaggerating my love of it to convert others to loving it too!!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say that would be awesome. I don't I've ever been to a game that went more than 11 innings or so.

new rule sucks. games going that long are rare and that makes them special IMO, not something to be legislated out of the game.

games can still go super long, they are just less likely to happen... which makes it even more special!!!

and the problem with super long games, is that there will be moments of boredom... this rule prevents that, because there is ALWAYS a threat!!!

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
games can still go super long, they are just less likely to happen... which makes it even more special!!!

and the problem with super long games, is that there will be moments of boredom... this rule prevents that, because there is ALWAYS a threat!!!
we're gonna have to agree to disagree man. I ain't ever getting on board with it and you can't make me!

Season 2 Arms Crossed GIF by Friends

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that this rule alone will make new fans... I said it will help... Just like any rule that successfully does its intent...

sounds like you still need to be converted... try watching the new extra innings rule without the preconceived hatred of the rule... I guarantee you will see that it is more exciting or just flat out more emotional...

Im a Yankee Fan, this rule sucks for them... they have had multiple tries this season so far where they didnt score any runs... it is flat out depressing to watch that... and thats whats so great about this rule... it brings back emotion into the game!!!

I love it!!! even if i am exaggerating my love of it to convert others to loving it too!!!

I guarantee you it doesn’t increase my emotion or love for baseball, which is extremely high.

Think about, milk. If a spectator doesn’t like baseball because it is too slow, they aren’t excited about the potential 55th out of the game.

I’d say the only positive is that it might help to ease up on bullpens arms...and that’s a health thing, not a, “I think it is better” positive.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee you it doesn’t increase my emotion or love for baseball, which is extremely high.

Think about, milk. If a spectator doesn’t like baseball because it is too slow, they aren’t excited about the potential 55th out of the game.

I’d say the only positive is that it might help to ease up on bullpens arms...and that’s a health thing, not a, “I think it is better” positive.

realistically i agree... But they still have to try to appeal to all audiences... or at least make the appearance of trying... this does that... and brings back Small ball!!!!

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, by the time it was over we there were like 1000 peeps left. It was definitely cool to experience once, but would not want to do it again........lol.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am still accepting the challenge!!!
fair bit of warning though, even if you somehow mange to convince me (you won't) I was wrong about it, according to my wife I'm never gonna admit to it because I'm a stubborn asshole incapable of admitting I was wrong.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
realistically i agree... But they still have to try to appeal to all audiences... or at least make the appearance of trying... this does that... and brings back Small ball!!!!

how does it do that?
What audience?
Like I said, people who say baseball is too long or too slow in the first 54 outs, are not thinking, boom... finally, some 10th inning small ball!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair bit of warning though, even if you somehow mange to convince me (you won't) I was wrong about it, according to my wife I'm never gonna admit to it because I'm a stubborn asshole incapable of admitting I was wrong.

I expect that from most about this topic... because again, it is a bastardization of the rules... and like @TKOSpikes said most fans are fans already, and don't need the gimmicks...

But i just want to challenge anyone and everyone to watch their favourite team in extra innings and tell me that that was not more exciting.... of course to do that first you have to give it a chance... which i don't expect many to actually do...

But again, there is always a threat to score, if your team doesn't score, you are more depressed about it, and it brings back strategies for the people that have complained that baseball is becoming an all or nothing sport!!!...

Just saying let your hair down and enjoy!!!

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, by the time it was over we there were like 1000 peeps left. It was definitely cool to experience once, but would not want to do it again........lol.
I've been to literally hundreds and hundreds of games in my life and I don't think more than a handful have even gone to extras. In fact for the longest time, every time I went to a game I just rooted for extras because I had never been to one that did at that point.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect that from most about this topic... because again, it is a bastardization of the rules... and like @TKOSpikes said most fans are fans already, and don't need the gimmicks...

But i just want to challenge anyone and everyone to watch their favourite team in extra innings and tell me that that was not more exciting.... of course to do that first you have to give it a chance... which i don't expect many to actually do...

But again, there is always a threat to score, if your team doesn't score, you are more depressed about it, and it brings back strategies for the people that have complained that baseball is becoming an all or nothing sport!!!...

I’ll enjoy it, despite the rule, not because of it.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a Pirates fan, man. that ship (i.e. excitement) sailed years ago

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to literally hundreds and hundreds of games in my life and I don't think more than a handful have even gone to extras. In fact for the longest time, every time I went to a game I just rooted for extras because I had never been to one that did at that point.
When I lived in LA I went to hundreds of games too. Learned the hard way to never leave before a BB Game ends. Left early with the Angels down like 8 runs in the 7th and Dick fucking Schoefield hits and 0-2 Slam in the bottom of the 9th and they win 12-11. NEVER left another game early.