• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

hybrid icing is kept?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
beyond lame. i love hockey and granted i've only seen 1 preseason game but i still don't even get the stupid rule.

they blow it dead if its a tie at the dots? so the only way that they won't blow it dead is if the icing team is going to get the puck first? which wouldn't have been icing to begin with!

they really should've just left it alone. were there really that many injuries on all the icings called last year? no i dont think there was.

they should've left it or just went to automatic icing its easier to explain to people and its less discretion given to the refs

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
beyond lame. i love hockey and granted i've only seen 1 preseason game but i still don't even get the stupid rule.

they blow it dead if its a tie at the dots? so the only way that they won't blow it dead is if the icing team is going to get the puck first? which wouldn't have been icing to begin with!

they really should've just left it alone. were there really that many injuries on all the icings called last year? no i dont think there was.

they should've left it or just went to automatic icing its easier to explain to people and its less discretion given to the refs

I'm pretty sure they only blow it dead if the defending player has a lead, if the offensive player is ahead or even it plays on as normal.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MCD is correct, but Cup is right too its pretty fucking dumb

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too much responsibility on the linesman who will guaranteed be out of position for a good amount of icing calls. I have already seen plays that were called dead which would not have been icing under the old rules.

I'm all for rules that eliminate excess stoppages of play, and strongly against ones that create more stoppages.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
MCD is correct, but Cup is right too its pretty fucking dumb

I used to think the same, until I realized how an icing race has probably ended Joni Pitkanen's career. Is it worth it for the one play a game where it might matter. I think it's a good compromise.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, its a stupid compromise because the risk is still there, maybe even more now. If its really about safety then go to no touch, which what the Devils would have voted for if there was an option

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It reminds me of Ken Daneyko saying Brodeur's ability to play the puck extended his career because he wasn't getting crushed racing for pucks. It's a step in the right direction but there will be growing pains.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
tilo is right the danger is still there. did i just say that? whaaaaaaaaT!

the thing i dont get is they won't blow it dead if its a tie at the dots or the icing team is going to get there first? ok but chances are the team trying to touch up for icing will have a guy right there ontop of him no? so where does it eliminate the "race"? or the danger? i tried to find a clip i saw on tv explaining the hybrid icing and it was evander kane going up against someone else and they blew it dead but they both touched the puck at the exact same time! how is that even fair?

also even if they blow it dead at the dots your telling me a guy cant lose an edge and go sliding into the boards? look at kovy last year.

yeah it sucks that a guy might never play again and i'm sure there are other injuries just like kurtis foster. but lets get real outside of those "drastic freak accidents" how many non accidents happened on the injuries? probably 10,000 icings last year and what 2 or 3 injuries happen from them? just not warranted imo.