• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hue Jackson Fired

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with the Jackson move is that it sets them back, yet again.... Why go a half season with the guy if you weren't committed? To be fair to Jackson, some games they lost this year had nothing to do with coaching. They had a kicker miss 4 field goals in New Orleans because he tore a groin in warm ups. They were completely jobbed against Oakland where they had the game won. That team was competing.

Now they'll have a bogus half season playing for a lame duck coach.... Then they will rip it up and start with a new coach that has to match their system with the Browns personnel. It's another 2-3 year process - One they probably won't stay with. The cycle goes on and on up there.

I agree that mid season was not the ideal time to axe Hue Jackson, but he never should've been there after 1 and 31...regardless how they got there. You don't hire a new GM and saddle him with a coach that's won 1 game in 2 seasons. You let that GM start with a clean slate.

I get the sense that Hue and Haley were not working out and Hue wanted to pull rank and fire Haley. Dorsey just beat him to the punch and fired him instead.

I think head coaches need at least 3 seasons, but 2-3 years and another new staff, and another new system...viscous cycle.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly could see Hue here by the time the bye is over.... As pointed out by the Bengals beat guys on Twitter, Hue has been a defensive consultant for Lewis (so he doesn't have to step on Lazor's toes) and the Bengals 1/4 of the Bengals remaining games are against the Browns.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that mid season was not the ideal time to axe Hue Jackson, but he never should've been there after 1 and 31...regardless how they got there. You don't hire a new GM and saddle him with a coach that's won 1 game in 2 seasons. You let that GM start with a clean slate.

I get the sense that Hue and Haley were not working out and Hue wanted to pull rank and fire Haley. Dorsey just beat him to the punch and fired him instead.

I think head coaches need at least 3 seasons, but 2-3 years and another new staff, and another new system...viscous cycle.

The issue I have is that Mayfield is going to get screwed here. He started under a power struggle of offensive coaches in Hue and Haley. He's now stuck with Al Saunders the rest of the season..... And then he starts again under a new coach next Spring. If the Browns were going to go with a top pick qb but had no plans to keep the coach long term, they should have fired him last year. Mayfield's development is going to be stunted..... Same shit for this franchise.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You knew this was inevitable as soon as they brought in a new GM. Short of a playoff berth he was out at the end of the season but the rift with Haley probably led to the midseason move.
That and only two wins in three seasons.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue I have is that Mayfield is going to get screwed here. He started under a power struggle of offensive coaches in Hue and Haley. He's now stuck with Al Saunders the rest of the season..... And then he starts again under a new coach next Spring. If the Browns were going to go with a top pick qb but had no plans to keep the coach long term, they should have fired him last year. Mayfield's development is going to be stunted..... Same shit for this franchise.

Did I just read that Haley has been fired too?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I just read that Haley has been fired too?

Yes. Haley got his pink slip as well.

It's Al Saunders and Ken Zampese running the offense.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You draft a QB #1 overall then retain the coach who has proven he sucks and everyone knew was going to be fired at some point. Now you must ask the QB to start over in a new system instead of just making the move this past off season.

This is why they are the Browns.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You draft a QB #1 overall then retain the coach who has proven he sucks and everyone knew was going to be fired at some point. Now you must ask the QB to start over in a new system instead of just making the move this past off season.

This is why they are the Browns.

This is exactly my issue..... You just moved the program back at least 2 more seasons. If they would have hired a Frank Reich (before he took the Colts job late in the process), they could have prioritized Mayfield's development and would be ready to roll by season 2.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue going scorched earth on the Browns now. "We'd have been winning by now if we had done it my way in year 1".

Basically, he said he told ownership the QB's in the room sucked and he wanted Wentz, Watson, or Mahomes and was rebuffed by ownership at each pass. Always good to throw previous bosses under the bus on your way out, but you know...he is right about this. Knowing how badly they needed a QB and knowing on who they passed on...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue going scorched earth on the Browns now. "We'd have been winning by now if we had done it my way in year 1".

Basically, he said he told ownership the QB's in the room sucked and he wanted Wentz, Watson, or Mahomes and was rebuffed by ownership at each pass. Always good to throw previous bosses under the bus on your way out, but you know...he is right about this. Knowing how badly they needed a QB and knowing on who they passed on...

It's basically what smart folks have been saying about the Browns for years. Just because you missed on a top qb or two doesn't mean you stop trying. This idea that you're going to trade a bunch of picks and fill your roster in other places while grabbing the 4th or 5th highest ranked qb is not a winning idea. It's how you end up with Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Jonny Manziel and Dishone Kizer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's basically what smart folks have been saying about the Browns for years. Just because you missed on a top qb or two doesn't mean you stop trying. This idea that you're going to trade a bunch of picks and fill your roster in other places while grabbing the 4th or 5th highest ranked qb is not a winning idea. It's how you end up with Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Jonny Manziel and Dishone Kizer.

And you have to know as a coach, if you can't land a QB to build around in that 1st year, or two, you are pretty much screwed. You won't win starting off, and then by the time you draft a QB to build around, you are going to struggle through those growing pains, and then you are in year 3 or 4 with little to no wins, and the ownership "feels the need for a change" again.

And again.

And again.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the browns might be stupid enough to accept tyler eifert in a trade. he may injure himself just driving to Cleveland.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the browns might be stupid enough to accept tyler eifert in a trade. he may injure himself just driving to Cleveland.
Reminds me of the 90's commercial with Eric Davis doing Steinbergs (I think it was?)....where the entire commercial is them trying to get him to the studio to do the commercial but every time he leaves to get there, he suffers an injury.

It was funny...and accurate, sadly.