• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hubbard Extended

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step 1 of 2 in signing two of their own young, very good, players. Bates is up next.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it because the deal is good for the team. Four years and forty million is not the silly money that gets thrown around on the FA market. If there is a criticism of Hubbard it is that he isn't a prolific pass rusher and therefore you need to be careful to not overpay. But sacks aren't everything - I think of the career Justin Smith had - Particularly when he left here to play in SF. Hubbard is an important guy and they got him for the right price.

My guess is that it will be a little more difficult to sign Bates.... I think the Bengals are motivated, but his agent has to be trying to get him paid as the top safety in the game. Budda Baker is making close to 15 million per year in AZ.... That has to be the number that Bates is looking to make. We'll see.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it because the deal is good for the team. Four years and forty million is not the silly money that gets thrown around on the FA market. If there is a criticism of Hubbard it is that he isn't a prolific pass rusher and therefore you need to be careful to not overpay. But sacks aren't everything - I think of the career Justin Smith had - Particularly when he left here to play in SF. Hubbard is an important guy and they got him for the right price.

My guess is that it will be a little more difficult to sign Bates.... I think the Bengals are motivated, but his agent has to be trying to get him paid as the top safety in the game. Budda Baker is making close to 15 million per year in AZ.... That has to be the number that Bates is looking to make. We'll see.
I think Bates will get done on a reasonable deal, but "reasonable" likely means top 3. He's been highly underrated in terms of voting for Pro Bowl and such, but his stats speak for themselves. He's a top tier safety in the NFL.