• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How would you prefer college eligibility to be handled?

How would you prefer college eligibility to be handled?

• One and done (1 year in college, or kill the year another way...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not something you should be admitting to.

Whoops, I just did. Not that I actually give a shit.

Writing about their athletic abilities is not dating them, you moron. FYI, I had one of the fathers invite me to his team's games, and I've never even met the guy.

It's become abundantly clear that I have more use there than I do here watching you and your cronies beat off to LeBron James ever other day.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoops, I just did. Not that I actually give a shit.

Writing about their athletic abilities is not dating them, you moron. FYI, I had one of the fathers invite me to his team's games, and I've never even met the guy.

It's become abundantly clear that I have more use there than I do here watching you and your cronies beat off to LeBron James ever other day.

If that's true, why are you still here?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you think a guy, whom I presume is in his early 30s, without any kids, attending high school girls basketball games to "write about them" - not professionally, but for his blog... is normal?

Holy hell todd!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you think a guy, whom I presume is in his early 30s, without any kids, attending high school girls basketball games to "write about them" - not professionally, but for his blog... is normal?

Holy hell todd!

As the great philosopher Clark Griswold once said: "It's nothing to be proud of, Russ..."

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2003 is ancient have history, bro. Keep deluding yourself into thinking that pig is going to fly again.

That pig will fly again.

Because when generational talents like LeBron enter the league, it does not matter when/where they are drafted. It may take longer in some places, but they will find success.

When the league eventually goes back to allowing high school players to be drafted, there will be more future superstars who enter right out of high school.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree that players become who they will become. Yes, some guys fall of the track, Steven Jackson comes to mind, but they can back on and reach their potential.

However, it's better for the NBA in the sense that you know more of what you are drafting and have a much better read on that potential.

That two to three years in college gives you a much better picture of what you've got.

I think it would add a lot to the draft and it would make building teams through the draft realistic again.

I do think it matters for some. Just don’t agree with using guys who made it as examples.

Nothing wrong with being an NBA role player for many years.

And you are 100% right about college providing more time to evaluate.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old system.

Declare whenever you want.

Can come back if you go undrafted and don’t sign with an agent.

Can pull out up to a week before the draft as long as not signed with an agent.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The player should have the option of going Pro or going to college.

Going Pro
Team that drafts the player is responsible for educating them on the financial side of things and making them 'pro-ready'.

Going to College
Must obtain a degree in order to qualify for the NBA draft

This guarantees that colleges get the player for at least 3 years (maybe some smart ones can graduate in 3 years?), which helps strengthen the college game. Also allows for late bloomers to get NBA ready.

The goal here is that the NBA should promote the education of the players, which is a win-win for both the NBA and the college game. The optics should be that the NBA cares about the players, even if they really don't.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The player should have the option of going Pro or going to college.

Going Pro
Team that drafts the player is responsible for educating them on the financial side of things and making them 'pro-ready'.

Going to College
Must obtain a degree in order to qualify for the NBA draft

This guarantees that colleges get the player for at least 3 years (maybe some smart ones can graduate in 3 years?), which helps strengthen the college game. Also allows for late bloomers to get NBA ready.

The goal here is that the NBA should promote the education of the players, which is a win-win for both the NBA and the college game. The optics should be that the NBA cares about the players, even if they really don't.

I would rather do a hockey-ish model and have the team pay for the scholarship. This saves universities money, and may have players in school longer.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather do a hockey-ish model and have the team pay for the scholarship. This saves universities money, and may have players in school longer.

The problem is that you will likely end up with teams "steering" players to certain schools. If, for example, you are the Lakers or Clippers and want draft a guy out of high school...you'll want him to go to USC or that school across town so it's easier to monitor their development.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that you will likely end up with teams "steering" players to certain schools. If, for example, you are the Lakers or Clippers and want draft a guy out of high school...you'll want him to go to USC or that school across town so it's easier to monitor their development.

The draft is still in late june.

Kids are, typically, already in class at their schools by then.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is still in late june.

Kids are, typically, already in class at their schools by then.

In June? They're on summer vacation. We're talking about drafting kids out of high school and the NBA team paying for their scholarship, right? Or did I miss something?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In June? They're on summer vacation. We're talking about drafting kids out of high school and the NBA team paying for their scholarship, right? Or did I miss something?

Most of these kids enroll in june and take summer classes to get ahead and/or take less during the season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of these kids enroll in june and take summer classes to get ahead and/or take less during the season.

They do? I've rarely seen that and mainly in football. A basketball player who is good enough to go from high school to the NBA isn't interested in being in class during the season, let alone in the summer.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, I had one of the fathers invite me to his team's games, and I've never even met the guy

So a "father" of one of these high school girls asked you to come to one of their games?

Did he also ask you to hold a pair of panties and a bloody knife while he takes pictures of you in their locker room?

Either you're ridiculously gullible or your paedophile chatroom is lacking in creativity.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do? I've rarely seen that and mainly in football. A basketball player who is good enough to go from high school to the NBA isn't interested in being in class during the season, let alone in the summer.

its pretty normal now. But yeah I’m surprised they do it too.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah.

I think most D1 athletes are pretty much expected to live on campus each summer. I don’t think they can be forced to, but it is “strongly encouraged”.

Incoming freshman might be different, but I do know of many that have enrolled in summer classes before their fall semester. It is a great opportunity to get ahead both in terms of course load for the year and in terms of basketball. Getting that time to play pickup with teammates and work out with staffers is invaluable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

I think most D1 athletes are pretty much expected to live on campus each summer. I don’t think they can be forced to, but it is “strongly encouraged”.

Incoming freshman might be different, but I do know of many that have enrolled in summer classes before their fall semester. It is a great opportunity to get ahead both in terms of course load for the year and in terms of basketball. Getting that time to play pickup with teammates and work out with staffers is invaluable.

Had no idea basketball players did this. I always thought it was mainly football players because football training camp takes place in the summer, so some guys enroll early so they can participate.

I guess I just assumed that basketball players didn't really need to do that because their season starts later and they'd already be on campus when their training camp started.