• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How We Have Drafted/Developed

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was bored a couple weeks backs before giving life on here a try again so I looked up who we have DRAFTED and developed since 2000 that has the best WAR as a Mariner (not for any other team).

Non pitchers

M's WAR.jpg

Seager #1 by far.
Zunino #2 as a Mariner. Kind of surprised by that.
Ackley #3.
I didn't include Raul because he was raised by KC and returned here after we gave up on him. Same could be said with Boone I guess.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was bored a couple weeks backs before giving life on here a try again so I looked up who we have DRAFTED and developed since 2000 that has the best WAR as a Mariner (not for any other team).

Non pitchers

View attachment 208374

Seager #1 by far.
Zunino #2 as a Mariner. Kind of surprised by that.
Ackley #3.
I didn't include Raul because he was raised by KC and returned here after we gave up on him. Same could be said with Boone I guess.

That's pretty awful.

Jeff Clement, Brandon Morrow, Phillippe Aumont, Dustin Ackley, Danny Hultzen, etc. will haunt us for years.

Imagine if we actually hit on those picks. I don't think there is anything more miserable than being a Mariners fan.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty awful.

Jeff Clement, Brandon Morrow, Phillippe Aumont, Dustin Ackley, Danny Hultzen, etc. will haunt us for years.

Imagine if we actually hit on those picks. I don't think there is anything more miserable than being a Mariners fan.

You kind of have to break it up. Aumont is more in the category of Clement, Ackley, DJ Peterson and the Fab 5 pitching prospects they had in the late 90’s of the top prospect busts. Morrow kind of got the shaft from the Mariners, much like Adam Jones of toying with him thus slowing his development. Hultzen is in his whole special bubble of where it was just an idiotic pick but then the idiotic pick got hurt and was unable to fulfill his draft position.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You kind of have to break it up. Aumont is more in the category of Clement, Ackley, DJ Peterson and the Fab 5 pitching prospects they had in the late 90’s of the top prospect busts. Morrow kind of got the shaft from the Mariners, much like Adam Jones of toying with him thus slowing his development. Hultzen is in his whole special bubble of where it was just an idiotic pick but then the idiotic pick got hurt and was unable to fulfill his draft position.

I was never a fan of the Hultzen pick mostly due to the fact that he seemed like a low ceiling, high floor type guy. I think the reports on him were that at worst he's a #3 type starter, at best a #2. If he didn't suffer so many injuries, things could have gone differently but I can't imagine that's who you want to go after with the #2 pick.

They really fucked up with Brandon Morrow. I didn't recall this until now, but he had only pitched 16 innings in the minors before being brought up to the big leagues in 2007. I actually had to triple check to make sure I was reading that right.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same my top two that year that I really wanted were Rendon then Lindor. But they were dead set on taking a pitcher it seemed.

Rendon was the guy I hoped we would draft. I remember not being sold on Seager back then and figured that Anthony Rendon could be our future third baseman. I don't follow college baseball closely enough to say my opinion is even worth a damn, but he was the guy I liked.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same my top two that year that I really wanted were Rendon then Lindor. But they were dead set on taking a pitcher it seemed.

I’m pretty sure Rendon was the guy every single person had Seattle linked to. I may be way off but I think Jack’s press conference said they chose him because he was most major league ready player in the draft.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually a fan of the Danny Hultzen pick and I defend him to this day that he did not blow out his arm in the minors he would have been a serviceable pitcher. His stats in the minors were really good. What management at the time really sucked at doing was player development. top prospects would get drafted by us and in like 2 years they were already putting them on the major league roster.

Danny Hultzen, Dustin Ackley, and Mike Zunino were good picks but they decided to just rush two of them to the majors and Hultzen blew out his arm

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Alex Jackson was a major miss. When Dipoto took over he had no problems trading him away and considering the phillies took Aaron Nola with the very next pitch and he made the all star team last year stings.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually a fan of the Danny Hultzen pick and I defend him to this day that he did not blow out his arm in the minors he would have been a serviceable pitcher. His stats in the minors were really good. What management at the time really sucked at doing was player development. top prospects would get drafted by us and in like 2 years they were already putting them on the major league roster.

Danny Hultzen, Dustin Ackley, and Mike Zunino were good picks but they decided to just rush two of them to the majors and Hultzen blew out his arm

I get your feeling on Hultzen, but you kind of quote the problem with the pick. Had he stayed healthy he would’ve been serviceable. That should never been the ceiling of your top draft pick. To me, if you have a top 5 pick his ceiling should be an AS not a ceiling of a back end of the rotation guy. I will never fault them for the Ackley pick, the development of trying to turn him into a 2B while ignoring the hole in his swing is where I blame the Mariners.

I equate it to the Seahawks taking James Carpenter with their first pick because they needed a tackle. You shouldn’t waste your top pick on a guy who’s ceiling is serviceable it should be on a guy who can be a difference maker and if he turns out a dud then you live with it over drafting a guy who you didn’t even have eligible for your Super Bowl.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your feeling on Hultzen, but you kind of quote the problem with the pick. Had he stayed healthy he would’ve been serviceable. That should never been the ceiling of your top draft pick. To me, if you have a top 5 pick his ceiling should be an AS not a ceiling of a back end of the rotation guy. I will never fault them for the Ackley pick, the development of trying to turn him into a 2B while ignoring the hole in his swing is where I blame the Mariners.

I equate it to the Seahawks taking James Carpenter with their first pick because they needed a tackle. You shouldn’t waste your top pick on a guy who’s ceiling is serviceable it should be on a guy who can be a difference maker and if he turns out a dud then you live with it over drafting a guy who you didn’t even have eligible for your Super Bowl.

I should have used a word better than serviceable but what im trying to say is someone that made it to the majors but not exactly an elite talent but has been very good. Anthony Rendon has never made an all star selection and his numbers are a tad better than kyle seagers. becoming that talent is fine with me as long as you arent a bust.

James carpenter may not have been a great guard but he was a piece to the puzzle that helped the seahawks win the super bowl so it was a good decision to draft him

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have used a word better than serviceable but what im trying to say is someone that made it to the majors but not exactly an elite talent but has been very good. Anthony Rendon has never made an all star selection and his numbers are a tad better than kyle seagers. becoming that talent is fine with me as long as you arent a bust.

James carpenter may not have been a great guard but he was a piece to the puzzle that helped the seahawks win the super bowl so it was a good decision to draft him

But elite talent is what you shoot for in the 1st round and if they bust, they bust. Draft Rendon and you have 2 all star caliber players in Seager and him over having a ceiling of back end of the rotation starter. You either trade for those guys, draft them later or sign them as FA’s. Hell Andrew Miller busted as a 1st pick but had the talent to become a dominant bullpen arm.

Sorry, James Carpenter was just the only football to baseball analogy I could think of as a wasted first round pick. It is an apples to orange argument because the Seahawks can actually develop players so them taking a DT and making him the starting G in the Super Bowl worked out.