• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How on earth is this team going to be kept together?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • DeMarcus Lawrence is a FA

• Cole Beasely is a FA

• Martin is due an 8M increase in 2019

• Fredreick is due a 4.5M increase in 2019. (What's his current situation?)

• Cooper is due a 13.5M increase in 2019, and then hits FA

• Elliot is due a 1M increase in 2019, and then hits FA.

• Collins is due a 2M in crease in 2019, and then hits FA

• Jones is due a 3.5M increase in 2019, and then hits FA

• Prescott hits FA after 2019

• Sandrick is still due 1.5M in 2019

The top 4 OLmen are going to make 50M+5 in 2019. None but Collins is cuttable, if you had to.

Not to mention filling the other JAG roster holes this coming FA.

I don't see how this math works.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• Cole Beasely is a FA

The top 4 OLmen are going to make 50M+5 in 2019. None but Collins is cuttable, if you had to.

Much easier than you think. All these guys are under 30. You wouldn't want long term deals with guys that are 33, but at 25-26, you aren't going to get hurt. Just because a guy, say DLaw for example, signs for $18 million per...that doesn't mean he's going to count $18 million against the cap in the first couple of years. Big signing bonus and low base, if he continues to play well, convert third year salary to bonus and extend, then cut him in 5-6 years when his base is like $25 million but not guaranteed and you only take a hit for his prorated bonus.
To your players listed...DLaw get's a big extension, Beasley takes a home town discount or is let go, Martin, Fredrick and Cooper's raises are already on the books, and we are still $50 million under the cap(and could get $7 million more if Lee is not here). Dak will make a lot, but Jerry see's him as the QB here for the next 10-12 years, so his deal will be 6-7 years, and they will likely do like they did with Romo, convert and extend to get cap space. Add in the increases in the cap....ALL YOU REALLY NEED IS AN OWNER WILLING TO SPEND THE CASH NECESSARY TO KEEP EVERYONE. Jerry is that guy

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much easier than you think. All these guys are under 30. You wouldn't want long term deals with guys that are 33, but at 25-26, you aren't going to get hurt. Just because a guy, say DLaw for example, signs for $18 million per...that doesn't mean he's going to count $18 million against the cap in the first couple of years. Big signing bonus and low base, if he continues to play well, convert third year salary to bonus and extend, then cut him in 5-6 years when his base is like $25 million but not guaranteed and you only take a hit for his prorated bonus.
To your players listed...DLaw get's a big extension, Beasley takes a home town discount or is let go, Martin, Fredrick and Cooper's raises are already on the books, and we are still $50 million under the cap(and could get $7 million more if Lee is not here). Dak will make a lot, but Jerry see's him as the QB here for the next 10-12 years, so his deal will be 6-7 years, and they will likely do like they did with Romo, convert and extend to get cap space. Add in the increases in the cap....ALL YOU REALLY NEED IS AN OWNER WILLING TO SPEND THE CASH NECESSARY TO KEEP EVERYONE. Jerry is that guy

I know how the cap works; I was looking at the payroll after next season. I think there's going to be major changes before the 2020 season. I don't care how good Zack Martin is, it's an absurd amount of money for an OG. Frankly, I think they dropped too much money on the OL. OG and RT are the perfect positions to get guys on rookie contracts and not pay big money to afterwards.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It us unlikely all of these free agents return,but most will. Bease wants too much and he is no longer a young player. Collins is an underachiever and it would be crazy to extend him..

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing we absolutely cannot do is get so emotionally invested in players that we are willing to sign them all and kick the can of cap space down the road a few years.

I'm all for signing specific guys who bring a ton of talent to their individual position, but in the business of professional football, there comes a point at which every player's pay exceeds their productivity and is therefore detrimental to the team, or business.

New England continues to be a successful franchise precisely because the owner and HC don't allow themselves to get emotionally attached to any one player. They've even let guys go in their prime, and still they continue to win.

You can be certain that there is always another young player that can do what most of the players on the team right now do. Finding them is often a challenge, but that's where talent evaluation comes in, and, it seems to me, we've been doing that well for the last few years. Let's stick with that route and build this team the right way. Eventually, it'll come together.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 40-48 million open right now. Likely cut T. Crawford for the ~7 mill savings. Hard to imagine keeping Hurns (injured or not) so there is ~5 million there. So we have the ability to clear 12 more easily.

I think it s a lock that Dak and Zeke get their deals done this offseason. Everyone else comes after those two. It should not be hard to resign D-Law, but he won't see 18 mill/per. Then we also have to face reality with Lee. Back-up LBs don't get 10 mill.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 40-48 million open right now. Likely cut T. Crawford for the ~7 mill savings. Hard to imagine keeping Hurns (injured or not) so there is ~5 million there. So we have the ability to clear 12 more easily.

I think it s a lock that Dak and Zeke get their deals done this offseason. Everyone else comes after those two. It should not be hard to resign D-Law, but he won't see 18 mill/per. Then we also have to face reality with Lee. Back-up LBs don't get 10 mill.

And Cooper will cost a lot to retain in 2020. He's critical to that offense and'll only turn 25 a couple months before next season. 15M per season? I think he's more valuable to DAL than other teams.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, we will save $7 million on Lee, and another $2 million on TWill, plus the money from Crawford and Hurns and the club could be a $70 million+ without the first restructure. The OP is right in that the Cowboys may have tough choices to make on the players we listed, as well as TAustin, Beasley, and a couple of others, but to suggest we will let a DLaw, BJones, Zeke, Dak or Amari walk...not gonna happen

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Cooper will cost a lot to retain in 2020. He's critical to that offense and'll only turn 25 a couple months before next season. 15M per season? I think he's more valuable to DAL than other teams.
My numbers were based from 2019 roster cap from Spotrac, which already has Cooper being paid like the #1 he is at 13.9 million. Have to assume that will get us close for years after that.
Dak will see an average of 20. Zeke will see an average of 15. DLaw will get next money available, but will not be paid top money for a defender. Jones will eventually get paid, but it may come in the form of a tag in 2020.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Zeke + Dak are already accounting for 8.5 million in their 2019 cap numbers, so you can subtract that from the collective numbers above. And maybe Dak gets more than 20 while Zeke gets less than 15, but both of them combined should be in that ballpark of 35M. I won't argue it could be more since Jerrah loves them.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• Cole Beasely is a FA

Romo makes $8.9M less next year, Dez makes $8M less and we have a $9M carryover. That alone covers most of it. This team does not have a cap problem and we know what cap problems are because we had them for almost a decade...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo makes $8.9M less next year, Dez makes $8M less and we have a $9M carryover. That alone covers most of it. This team does not have a cap problem and we know what cap problems are because we had them for almost a decade...
Yeah, it's hysterical to hear the Cowboys have a cap problem. I've seen the Redskins go into a season $10 million over the cap, the next thing you know, they have signed the top 4-5 FA's on the market. The Cowboys went from having the worst cap situation in the NFL to one of the best, an old roster to the youngest, with Pro Bowl talent at every level. The front office is doing a fantastic job. This is nothing but the national media needing a Cowboys story for ratings. It's funny to hear folks talk about the Cowboys not being America's Team, yet EVERY damn TV/Sports Radio show is Cowboys every day

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything here but D Law is going to ask for a lot more than 18 million a year. What did Mack get? He’s way too important to lose

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything here but D Law is going to ask for a lot more than 18 million a year. What did Mack get? He’s way too important to lose
the team is 54+ mil to the good for 2019.
D Law will be a long term contract. There is no danger for the next few years. from his contract.

I figure Hurns is gone. That saves another 5 mil. Lee will either redo his contract or be gone. That saves another 7 mil.
That would be 66 mil to the good without redoing other contracts or any of that fancy cap crap.
48 players are signed as well. We are nowhere near hurting on the cap right now. Zero danger.

The only decisions will be who to let walk because they are asking more than they are worth. But that is different than because we cant afford someone.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the team is 54+ mil to the good for 2019.
D Law will be a long term contract. There is no danger for the next few years. from his contract.

I figure Hurns is gone. That saves another 5 mil. Lee will either redo his contract or be gone. That saves another 7 mil.
That would be 66 mil to the good without redoing other contracts or any of that fancy cap crap.
48 players are signed as well. We are nowhere near hurting on the cap right now. Zero danger.

The only decisions will be who to let walk because they are asking more than they are worth. But that is different than because we cant afford someone.

Dallas is in fine shape. They’ll get who they need done. I’m sure Dak won’t play next year without a new deal... WAY TO RISKY for him. Some HUGE deals coming up but they have the space.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top D players in the league are getting above 20M. DLaw is not in the same class as Miller, Mack, Donald. Spotrac has his estimated market value at 19.6M, but is using both Mack and Miller to make that assessment. DLaw should be paid less than Chandler Jones who has had double digit sacks the past 4 years. Jones is averaging less than 17M.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top D players in the league are getting above 20M. DLaw is not in the same class as Miller, Mack, Donald. Spotrac has his estimated market value at 19.6M, but is using both Mack and Miller to make that assessment. DLaw should be paid less than Chandler Jones who has had double digit sacks the past 4 years. Jones is averaging less than 17M.
D Law is a better all around player than Chandler Jones and Jones signed 2 years earlier. I'd say $20M is about right. But agree he won't get in the Donald/Mack range as those are different players altogether

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D Law is a better all around player than Chandler Jones and Jones signed 2 years earlier. I'd say $20M is about right. But agree he won't get in the Donald/Mack range as those are different players altogether
I read somewhere that DLaw was seeking around 17M per year last year before being tagged. If we were comfortable paying that, a deal should have been struck then. Now a year later, salary cap increase likely pushes their asking price to 18. But on the flip side, his 2018 season didn't match his 2017. So it gives the FO some ammo to hold firm on their number. 17M average is still top 10 edge rusher money. I absolutely would not give him 20, but that doesn't mean Jerrah won't.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• Cole Beasely is a FA

if you've read this thread you now know how the math works which should be a bonus for you.

Thanks for your concern

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten years ago this thread might have been revelant but now not so much .

Move along Move along