• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much did Britt Reid hurt the Chiefs on Sunday?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t really seen any discussion about this. An assistant coach killing a kid while drunk driving right before the Super Bowl is a monster story. Especially when that coach is the son of the head coach.

How much did this effect game preparation? How much was this on Andy Reid’s mind? Or the players’ minds? Did it cost the Chiefs the game?

The only comparable stories I can think of are Eugene Robinson with the Falcons and Barrett Robbins with the Raiders. Both of those teams lost. And neither of those cases are close to this one. Any thoughts on this?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently that kid is NOT dead yet. “Life-threatening injuries” and the other victim should be Ok.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue without actually being in that locker room.

Far and away the thing that hurt the Chiefs the most was injuries. The Bucs blew up 2 or 3 of the most important plays of the game before they even really started. Sammy Watkins might as well have not even played. Gay at LB might have been an important cog at slowing down TEs. They say injuries are part of the game and thats fine but getting your butt kicked is also part of that game, too.

The way they called penalties on the defense was probably the 2nd most important thing.

Receiver dropped 2 TDs. Kelce drop was big although thats actually more of an oline issue because he probably wasnt even supposed to get the ball. Mahomes had Hardman deep for a TD in the first quarter and they ran the wrong route and/or Mahomes threw it in the wrong spot.

I'd chalk this up more to Andy Reid being Andy Reid. I think he thought he could just keep ignoring the oline issue and just keep doing what the Chiefs do. At some point, you can't. We saw that point. Without question.

The gameplan should've been run the ball and then eventually play action once the Bucs played things straight up and not having their safeties 20 yards downfield. Every other coach in the league probably would've done that. Not Andy Reid. He was trying to find clever ways to still get his 50 yard TDs and the oline just wasn't good enough to make that happen.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue without actually being in that locker room.

Far and away the thing that hurt the Chiefs the most was injuries. The Bucs blew up 2 or 3 of the most important plays of the game before they even really started. Sammy Watkins might as well have not even played. Gay at LB might have been an important cog at slowing down TEs. They say injuries are part of the game and thats fine but getting your butt kicked is also part of that game, too.

The way they called penalties on the defense was probably the 2nd most important thing.

Receiver dropped 2 TDs. Kelce drop was big although thats actually more of an oline issue because he probably wasnt even supposed to get the ball. Mahomes had Hardman deep for a TD in the first quarter and they ran the wrong route and/or Mahomes threw it in the wrong spot.

I'd chalk this up more to Andy Reid being Andy Reid. I think he thought he could just keep ignoring the oline issue and just keep doing what the Chiefs do. At some point, you can't. We saw that point. Without question.

The gameplan should've been run the ball and then eventually play action once the Bucs played things straight up and not having their safeties 20 yards downfield. Every other coach in the league probably would've done that. Not Andy Reid. He was trying to find clever ways to still get his 50 yard TDs and the oline just wasn't good enough to make that happen.
You are definitely correct about the injuries. But the Chiefs didn’t look “right” at all in that game. And the play calling was poor. Andy certainly didn’t have a good day.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any truth to the rumor that Tom Brady put that kid in harms way?

that warrior will do anything to win

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are definitely correct about the injuries. But the Chiefs didn’t look “right” at all in that game. And the play calling was poor. Andy certainly didn’t have a good day.
They definitely dropped some passes they don't normally drop.

The not 'looking right', though, is explained by other things imo. Bucs ran a weird defense a lot where they had safeties deep and disguised. If the Chiefs just ran the ball then the Bucs would've been forced out of that scheme imo and eventually things would've looked more normal. Reid just kept on trying to have Scissors beat Rock.

Had the Chiefs played last year's Niners team with this oline they would've lost by about 31-9 to them, too.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Seems they were too confident with Mahomes magic and underestimated the Bucs. Not a good game plan by Andy & Chiefs.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brit Reid is probably as important to that team as my daughter is to my bar when I let her come in and cut limes on a Sunday morning
Yeah, I figured as much. Him being absent during the game means nothing. Him killing a kid before the game????? Different story????

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I figured as much. Him being absent during the game means nothing. Him killing a kid before the game????? Different story????

Oh that’s different

I’m talking just from a football X’s and O’s

the distraction for Andy is legit if he has a soul, and I think he def does

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if Reid had a lot of RPOs planned and Bowles just dialed up a defense they hadn't scouted so a lot of plays were just left off the table. If thats the case then there might have been something to the preparation gap between the two teams where one team had home field and the other had a major distraction/tragedy.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he didn’t coach in the game Sunday. I’m not sure how much that hurts being down a coach, but it’s something....
He was an outside linebackers coach, and probably wasn't that important in the big scheme of things. He didn't even make the trip to Tampa after the accident.

I think his absence was barely noticed.

I hope Fat Andy agrees to pay the kids' hospital bills after this is over. I'm sure the lawyers would tell him not to pay anything yet, though.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team without their head coach just beat a probable HOF coach in the playoffs.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh that’s different

I’m talking just from a football X’s and O’s

the distraction for Andy is legit if he has a soul, and I think he def does
I mean...that HAS to weigh on your mind if your kid kills someone. And I’m sure that had some impact on the mood of the team going in. I’m not too good on the psychological side of this, but that is quite a burden for all involved.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever work at a place where the boss employed his screwed up kid?

His absence probably amounted to a good chuckle around the Chiefs water cooler, a couple comments about how they were relieved and then they moved on.