• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How many full swings you guys take at the range?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm usually doing 200 total balls with my 8, 5, and fairway wood (I don't swing a driver anymore, 3's the longest club in my bag and I mix it up, but it seems like if I get those clubs down then the ones around them length-wise come as well). I'll do like 50 balls with about a quarter swing with the 8 just to get the feel for my hips, then maybe 40 half swings with each club and 10 with the swing that I'm hoping to bring to the course. I don't even think much of the full swings because I hate hitting off the mat, the balls are cold and rock-hard, and I figure if I do the things that I need to do with the other balls I hit then it will come together (which it usually does). I also get worn out if I try to hit a bunch a balls with a full swing right on top of each other. Wondering how some of you guys do your range work.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic.

It depends if I'm warming up for a round or just practicing. We have a range membership as part of our Players Club membership...large and med bucket everyday and mine is totally under used!

Practicing...I normally get the large bucket (100 balls or so) and I hit about 10 shots with the LW, and about 15 ea with the 52,56,48. Then move to the 9i, 7, 5 with about 5 shots ea. 5 with my 4H, 3w, and D...maybe 5 off the deck with the 3w and at the end I hit some 5i punch shots trying to hit greens from about 130 to 150 with the rest.

I rarely hit more than 3 shots in a row with the same club.

My preshot routine is supposed to ensure a consistent ball position...but if I don't practice it I get on the course and sometimes find the ball too far back in my stance with the driver and 3w and hit these pop up shots...that's largely why I try to hit most of the clubs.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually only hit the range if I'm having problems on the course.

My wife and I like to be the last ones on the course, this allows us to play multiple balls from different areas and different lies and try various clubs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually only hit the range if I'm having problems on the course.

My wife and I like to be the last ones on the course, this allows us to play multiple balls from different areas and different lies and try various clubs.

These sound more like practice type rounds, which are great imo.

I'm struggling with balls above my feet, either hitting it fat or thin lately...2 buckets of balls are not going to fix that....and playing once a week it's hard to overcome...I'm going to start playing 9 a little more after work.

Side note...I like having my time on the course, but having a wife that plays has to be pretty cool I would think.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats a range? lol :scratch::scratch::dhd::dhd:

the normal course i play at ( 9 hole) doesn't have a range so I don't hit anything. IF i am playing at a course that has one I usually only hit about 20-40 balls.

Now if this is solely going to a driving range and not playing.... I usually hit a large bucket (depends on the place) so probably 100 or so balls and 3/4ths usually are full swings

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will try to keep it under 50 full swings. Depends on how things are going.
If the full swing and full punch shots are ok, I will start hitting a bunch of different shots with my 60 degree.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usually the entire bucket, but I only get a smaller bucket. I just recently started doing more practice with punch shots and midrange chips on the range to get a better feel and it has helped.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will try to keep it under 50 full swings. Depends on how things are going.
If the full swing and full punch shots are ok, I will start hitting a bunch of different shots with my 60 degree.

I hate my 60..I don't know why I pull it out of the bag...it's always the beginning of the end.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate my 60..I don't know why I pull it out of the bag...it's always the beginning of the end.

Sounds like a true love/hate relationship.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I have ever hit a 60°. I think there is one in my dad's bag in my basement. Maybe I will throw it in my bag and try it out today in my league play.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go to the range when it's been a few weeks since I've been on the course and hit probably two buckets (which I'm guessing is around 100 balls total). During the first bucket I'll work my way up using my SW, PW, 8, 6, 4, 5w and 3w off the deck, and driver. A couple half swings with each before taking full swings with the wedges, and mainly full swings with everything else.

On my second bucket, I try to imagine playing a simulated round with my routine and full swings working my way around the bag and leave the last 10-15 balls for pitching to 30-75 yard targets using my SW, AW, and PW. Or I'll use the second bucket to practice working the ball for a draw or fade, especially if I was hitting it well/straight during the first bucket.

If I'm at a course that has a range and I've got time to warm up before a round, I'll be using only one bucket and keeping it similar to the first bucket from above. However, the last swing or two will be the club I plan to use off the tee on hole 1. I'll head to the putting green before the driving range for 5-10 minutes or so, and then when I'm done with the driving range, I'll head back to the putting green to putt a few from distances of 20, 10, and 5 feet or so. Then off to start the round.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 large bucket if I'm not playing a round after. I've honestly never bothered to count. I want to get 5 clean solid consecutive shots before I move onto the next club minimum.