• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How is Lovie Smith out of the NFL?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its amazing how people do NO RESEARCH, yet Blast off their lame and WRONG Opinions.

Lovie Smith is still being paid by the Bears

Would you hire a Head Coach that cared more about Doing Nothing and Collecting Free Money, or one who would Rather be Coaching Football?

Lovie would make less money as a DC then he is now, waiting for a HC job. He is not stupid. I would take the smart one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some teams don't want a coach with a hard ass name like "Lovie"?

Lovie Smith was born in Gladewater and raised in Big Sandy, Texas.[2] He was named after his great aunt, Lavana.[3] During Smith's high school career in Big Sandy, he earned all-state honors for three years as a defensive end and linebacker. His team won three consecutive state championships in 1973–75, including a 0–0 tie in 1974 versus Celina High School of legendary coach G. A. Moore. In 1975, Big Sandy had one of the most dominant seasons in high school football history, as the defense allowed only 15 points (11 shutouts) all season, while the offense, featuring eventual Miami Dolphins running back David Overstreet, scored a then-national record 824 points.[4]
Smith played college football at University of Tulsa under head coach John Cooper. He was a two-time All-American at linebacker and safety. After graduation he immediately pursued a coaching career. He was hired as defensive coordinator at his hometown high school in 1980. A year later he left to coach at Cascia Hall Preparatory School in Tulsa. By 1983, he began coaching linebackers on the college level, first at his alma mater Tulsa (1983–86), and then at University of Wisconsin–Madison (1987), Arizona State University (1988–91), and the University of Kentucky (1992). He also served as defensive backs coach at the University of Tennessee (1993–94), and Ohio State University (1995).

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its amazing how people do NO RESEARCH, yet Blast off their lame and WRONG Opinions.

Lovie Smith is still being paid by the Bears, if he took ANY job as ANY coach in the NFL he would forgo that Money the Bears still owe him.

So that fact is NO ONE on this board knows if Smith told his agent he will not Interview with a team until after his contract expires. Which would be after this season.

It is the same reason Gruden has never been interviewed for a NFL job.

NOW, ask yourself This question if you were an owner....

Would you hire a Head Coach that cared more about Doing Nothing and Collecting Free Money, or one who would Rather be Coaching Football?

In today's NFL, when a head coach is fired, the team is responsible for paying him what he is owed on his contract. So, your "doing nothing" and "collecting free money" thought needs a little more RESEARCH.

Did you know that Lovie has a better winning percentage as an NFL HC than all of the current HC's who have coached at least 100 games?

Pete Carroll .518
Tom Coughlin .555
Jeff Fisher .538
John Fox .534
Gary Kubiak .527

Lovie Smith .560

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all for the record, dude I'm white! But, if Lovie were John Gruden would he not have been one of the most sought after free agent HC's in the league?...but, Lovie is a brother.

That sucks! Because anyone that knows football, knows that Lovie can flat out coach. Good luck Lovie, just don't show up in the NFCE next year, and its all good.

HAIL!

Because like Mike Shannahan, he's not a good NFL head coach.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was such a bad gig, with the HC having 0 say in any players acquired via draft or FA, and I seriously doubt that to begin with, then he could of left a long time ago for a better job?

If your GM was soo world class bad, why did Lovie stick around for 9 years of that?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all for the record, dude I'm white! But, if Lovie were John Gruden would he not have been one of the most sought after free agent HC's in the league?...but, Lovie is a brother.

That sucks! Because anyone that knows football, knows that Lovie can flat out coach. Good luck Lovie, just don't show up in the NFCE next year, and its all good.

HAIL!

Kind of surprised he didn't fill one of the openings, certainly as a DC, but not sure what factor race played.

Can he really flat out coach? DEF, yes. After reaching the SB, many of Lovie's teams seem to underachieve the last couple of years. Right now and for the foreseeable future the NFL is OFC driven...Reid was known as an OFC guy...re-hired in KC, Kelly, known as an OFC guru @ ORE hired in PHI, Arians in AZ.

If he still wants to coach and doesn't mind taking a DC job I think he'll be back in the NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lovie Smith is still being paid by the Bears, if he took ANY job as ANY coach in the NFL he would forgo that Money the Bears still owe him.

So that fact is NO ONE on this board knows if Smith told his agent he will not Interview with a team until after his contract expires. Which would be after this season.

It is the same reason Gruden has never been interviewed for a NFL job.

NOW, ask yourself This question if you were an owner....

You have a point, but I don't think it's valid...out of sight out of mind. Any HC that has been let go and wants another job is not going to sit out a yr just to collect the remaining $ on his previous contract. Gruden is not out of sight, but he reportedly earns well over a million bucks a year...not NFL HC money, but it's a comfortable gig w/o the pressure and scrutiny...I can see why he doesn't want to coach anymore, same with Cowher.

Most NFL HC jobs carry 4 to 5 yrs terms and unlike player contracts...this money is guaranteed. There's only 32 of these jobs in the world and only a handful open up on an annual basis...if he wanted to coach, does it really make sense to wait and collect his final yr before diving back in?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today's NFL, when a head coach is fired, the team is responsible for paying him what he is owed on his contract. So, your "doing nothing" and "collecting free money" thought needs a little more RESEARCH.

Did you know that Lovie has a better winning percentage as an NFL HC than all of the current HC's who have coached at least 100 games?

Pete Carroll .518
Tom Coughlin .555
Jeff Fisher .538
John Fox .534
Gary Kubiak .527

Lovie Smith .560

All?

Mike Shanahan .572
Bill Belichick .649

No clue if there are more. Those are just the first two names to pop into my head.

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because like Mike Shannahan, he's not a good NFL head coach.

Your right Earl, Mike Shannahan is not a good NFL coach. In fact, I don't think "Shannahan" has ever coached in the league before. But, the other Mike SHANAHAN who was voted as one of the best 20 NFL HC's in the history of the NFL, and is a sure bet first ballot HOF'er is...a great coach.

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All?

Mike Shanahan .572
Bill Belichick .649

No clue if there are more. Those are just the first two names to pop into my head.

I didn't mean "all" should have said these.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, the other Mike SHANAHAN who was voted as one of the best 20 NFL HC's in the history of the NFL, and is a sure bet first ballot HOF'er is...a great coach.

Idk about great...won 2 SB with a HOF QB & Terrell Davis...since then, not so great...but if Parcells got in I agree he will too.

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk about great...won 2 SB with a HOF QB & Terrell Davis...since then, not so great...but if Parcells got in I agree he will too.

Haven't most of the said "Great NFL HC's" had HOF quarterbacks? LOL. Of course they have. With the exception of, IMO the greatest of them all...Coach Joe Gibbs.

As of right now, Shanahan is in the unique position to have a chance to be the HC of two different super bowl winning teams. And, if he does that certainly will move up on the list as one of the greatest of all time.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he would have been hired but I think he declined interviews for everything but head coaching spots. He was content to take a year off if he was not gonna get the exact job he wanted.

He will be back next year. He is a good coach.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't most of the said "Great NFL HC's" had HOF quarterbacks? LOL. Of course they have. With the exception of, IMO the greatest of them all...Coach Joe Gibbs.

As of right now, Shanahan is in the unique position to have a chance to be the HC of two different super bowl winning teams. And, if he does that certainly will move up on the list as one of the greatest of all time.

Like Gibbs a lot, but maybe you're looking at this as a 'Skins fan whereas I'm looking at it as a football fan.

For the most part you're right, but in addition to Thiesmann, Rypien, and Williams, would either Jeff Hosteler (sp) or Phil Simms be great in your book? Not in mine either.

He's good coach.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears have totally under estimated the importance of OL. Aside from 2008 and 2011 they usually only spend one of their final draft picks on OL. That has been the MO for the last 8 or 9 years.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears have totally under estimated the importance of OL. Aside from 2008 and 2011 they usually only spend one of their final draft picks on OL. That has been the MO for the last 8 or 9 years.

Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith were horrible together and obviously couldnt find an offense to save their jobs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bears have used 4 of their last 5 1st rd pics on Oline. :doh:

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears have used 4 of their last 5 1st rd pics on Oline. :doh:

I wouldn't consider Greg Olsen an Offensive Lineman. And, since the team has not played this season, I didn't consider this seasons draft. Did Lovie even take part in it?