• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How far away are we from Robo-Refs?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How far away are we from Robo-Refs? …sensors and technology that thru artificial intelligence will predict a Referee throwing a flag before the penalty happens?

More likely, the Robo-Ref, equipped with sensors and AI will make better decisions in real time? So many questions, so little time.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This song could work: I am Robo Ref, iron man

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How far away are we from Robo-Refs? …sensors and technology that thru artificial intelligence will predict a Referee throwing a flag before the penalty happens?

More likely, the Robo-Ref, equipped with sensors and AI will make better decisions in real time? So many questions, so little time.
Na we all saw how the terminator played out can't let that happen. If anything put a chip in the football so you know when its a TD instead of the BS. I would rather have a robot stumble spotter as that guy wouldn't be drunk or high in the stands and take my QB's out of games.

I forgot to add that Ozzy must be a robot as he can't talk, walk or stand but on stage he looks 18 again. Crystal clear voice...makes no sense.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was gonna say maybe balls and strokes in baseball. Goals in hockey. Possibly first downs and/or touchdowns are in the future. Maybe something even like goaltending or 3 points in basketball. I can even see things like down field contact or possibly pass interference being in the next 10-20 years of constant improvements. But we're worlds away from robo refs calling holding on O-linemen or some other subjective penalties. It's not even feasible to take the human element out of football yet.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One part of football officiating that's still really in the stone ages is using two poles and a chain to measure 1st downs. There's so much human error involved in that it's not even funny. I could see them replacing that with something high tech, which would be much more precise and faster.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One part of football officiating that's still really in the stone ages is using two poles and a chain to measure 1st downs. There's so much human error involved in that it's not even funny. I could see them replacing that with something high tech, which would be much more precise and faster.
I've always thought it was beyond ridiculous that they just kind of sort of eye up where they generally think the ball landed. And then guys on the sidelines will eye up generally where the ref put his foot while they are from 25+ yards away to put down the sticks. And then 3 downs later they will measure exactly whether or not they made the first down, to the smallest cm.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balls/strikes need to be 100% robotisized (pretty sure that's a word? Mods?) in baseball... it's absolutely ridiculous this has gone on as long as it has.

Hockey/NFL move way too fast, they just need to introduce penalty challenges.

And then there's NBA.. and that sport is beyond saving... just take off and nuke the stadium from orbit.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never happen

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balls/strikes need to be 100% robotisized (pretty sure that's a word? Mods?) in baseball... it's absolutely ridiculous this has gone on as long as it has.

Hockey/NFL move way too fast, they just need to introduce penalty challenges.

And then there's NBA.. and that sport is beyond saving... just take off and nuke the stadium from orbit.
People copy/pasting this from MLB discussion are comparing apples and oranges entirely. There are tons of very discrete outcomes in baseball with relatively stable criteria.

Did you touch a base?

Is it a strike or not?

Did the ball go over the fence?

The most fluid thing is the strike zone and that's just a two dimensional square you have lasers for. Football is a never-ending deluge of (often obscured) judgement calls. The definition of a catch being controversial is proof of that. Heck, the catch is kinda wonky in MLB too

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not close at all.

Robots are only good at "processing and reacting" to consistent trained inputs. They can't take variable stimuli.

Humans are still better at many tasks and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was gonna say maybe balls and strokes in baseball. Goals in hockey. Possibly first downs and/or touchdowns are in the future. Maybe something even like goaltending or 3 points in basketball. I can even see things like down field contact or possibly pass interference being in the next 10-20 years of constant improvements. But we're worlds away from robo refs calling holding on O-linemen or some other subjective penalties. It's not even feasible to take the human element out of football yet.
That's not a robot, that's just vision systems and sensors.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly. I'm against it unless it has limits.

What happens in a rain game? Snow? Someone dumps a bottle of liquid?

If any of those happens. Buh Bye Robot.

They need to have human refs to back them up