• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do the Hawks improve their pass D?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks would've had to trade up to take Vander Esch. I do like Cody Barton and I'm biased being a UW fan but I also like Ben Burr-Kirven. Obviously I'd prefer Vander Esch to both of those guys, but it is what it is.

The fumbling issue I'm not concerned about. He only had 3 fumbles last year and IMO it's a fixable problem and something that I don't think will continue.

I can understand your preference to use a first round pick on a different position, but Carson was coming off of a serious injury and hadn't really proven himself completely prior to the injury. At this point though I am happy to have Penny due to the workload they give Carson and his injury history.

You are wrong about vander esch, we had the 18th pick and traded down. He was taken 19th. Huge mistake that one was.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was so awesome to see J. Clowney absolute dominate... Not only did he dominate but he dominated a very good LT in Joe Staley... Clowney had 10 QB pressures, 5 QB hits, 1 Sack, 1 FF, 1 FR and 1 touchdown... He was the best player on the field tonight...This is exactly what we expected from him in big, divisional games and he didn't disapoint...

On the other side of things, Ziggy didn't play much... When he did, he had a offsides and a missed tackle... He didn't play another snap in the 4th quarter... I expected more of him but at least the coaches are finally benching him for not playing up to standards...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense started out like crap, but man did they wake up after that, pass rush showed up, Clowney has been good all year but he was insane last night, unstoppable force... And our secondary played solid ... Glad to see the D find there groove... Diggs also showed why Detroit players were upset seeing him leave ...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was so awesome to see J. Clowney absolute dominate... Not only did he dominate but he dominated a very good LT in Joe Staley... Clowney had 10 QB pressures, 5 QB hits, 1 Sack, 1 FF, 1 FR and 1 touchdown... He was the best player on the field tonight...This is exactly what we expected from him in big, divisional games and he didn't disapoint...

On the other side of things, Ziggy didn't play much... When he did, he had a offsides and a missed tackle... He didn't play another snap in the 4th quarter... I expected more of him but at least the coaches are finally benching him for not playing up to standards...

Marsh would have been a better option than Ziggy, I bet if he was still on the team and got the snaps Ziggy did/does he would have 2 or 3 more sacks than Ziggy.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former 1st round CB, Hargreaves was released by TB. Would it be worth it to make a waiver claim on him? Or bring him in for a workout if he clears waivers?

Bucs release CB Hargreaves after benching

We could use the help in the secondary but could we even afford to bring him in? I think he's making $9M this year.

Plus the obvious thing is, do we want a CB that apparently pissed off his HC and GM so badly for being lazy that they were fine with dumping their #1 Corner in the middle of the season? As far as red flags go they don't get much bigger than that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wrong about vander esch, we had the 18th pick and traded down. He was taken 19th. Huge mistake that one was.

Ahhh good memory. I knew we traded down that year but didn't recall it was that high in the draft order. For whatever it's worth, that did land us Penny, Rasheem Green and Jacob Martin (who was part of the Clowney trade).

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could use the help in the secondary but could we even afford to bring him in? I think he's making $9M this year.

Plus the obvious thing is, do we want a CB that apparently pissed off his HC and GM so badly for being lazy that they were fine with dumping their #1 Corner in the middle of the season? As far as red flags go they don't get much bigger than that.
Very true. For $9 mil I think he would clear waivers. But then I think there will be multiple teams willing to take a flier on him. If there is a lack of hustle on his part, getting kicked off a team would be a great wake up call. And in the right environment, the lack of motivation should fix itself. If anyone could motivate him, Pete would be that guy.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For all of the amazing games that Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Patrick Kerney, Julian Peterson, etc. gave us I cannot recall a game in which an edge rusher dominated the game as thoroughly as Clowney did that game.

I hate to say it due to how much money we're paying Ziggy Ansah, but I'm happy the coaching staff recognized that he shouldn't be on the field. He has been a complete non-factor this year. I'm hoping it's that he's still recovering from his injury and will be able to make an impact down the stretch, but when he has been on the field he hasn't been helpful.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marsh would have been a better option than Ziggy, I bet if he was still on the team and got the snaps Ziggy did/does he would have 2 or 3 more sacks than Ziggy.

Hate to say it, but you're definitely right. I liked the signing of Ansah at first, but he has been about as bad as it can get. In addition to not generating any pressure, from what I've observed he has been getting blown off the line of scrimmage on run plays. I'm really hoping that it's that he's not 100% yet and once he gets back to full strength he can help the team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former 1st round CB, Hargreaves was released by TB. Would it be worth it to make a waiver claim on him? Or bring him in for a workout if he clears waivers?

Bucs release CB Hargreaves after benching

I fully expect that Hargreaves will make it through waivers due to his contract. I would definitely take a flier on him after he clears waivers because Jamar Taylor has played like shit at nickel and Hargreaves has experience playing in the nickel. I fully believe the reason the Seahawks have been playing in a base 4-3 formation 3/4 of the time is because they don't trust Taylor playing nickel.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect that Hargreaves will make it through waivers due to his contract. I would definitely take a flier on him after he clears waivers because Jamar Taylor has played like shit at nickel and Hargreaves has experience playing in the nickel. I fully believe the reason the Seahawks have been playing in a base 4-3 formation 3/4 of the time is because they don't trust Taylor playing nickel.

Taylor has been bad, but that defensive holding against him last night seemed to take what little he had away from him. After that he refused to do anything less than a five yard cushion all game.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all of the amazing games that Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Patrick Kerney, Julian Peterson, etc. gave us I cannot recall a game in which an edge rusher dominated the game as thoroughly as Clowney did that game.

I hate to say it due to how much money we're paying Ziggy Ansah, but I'm happy the coaching staff recognized that he shouldn't be on the field. He has been a complete non-factor this year. I'm hoping it's that he's still recovering from his injury and will be able to make an impact down the stretch, but when he has been on the field he hasn't been helpful.

Carroll seems to think it's because he's almost 20lbs under his normal playing weight due to not being able to lift weights and put on weight because of his shoulder injury...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor has been bad, but that defensive holding against him last night seemed to take what little he had away from him. After that he refused to do anything less than a five yard cushion all game.

If by five yard cushion you're referring to how far off the line of scrimmage he was pre-snap, generally that's determined by the coaching staff. With how much the Seahawks like to run cover-3, you normally only bring up the corners if you're trying to disguise the coverage or blitz.

When you run cover-3 out of the nickel with a single high safety and press the corners you risk the possibility that if the WR beats the press, then there will be a gap that the QB can throw to with only the safety over the top.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll seems to think it's because he's almost 20lbs under his normal playing weight due to not being able to lift weights and put on weight because of his shoulder injury...

I heard that as well. I do think they rushed him back too early and that he isn't at full strength yet. In retrospect it might've made more sense for them to put him on the PUP or IR during the preseason. I can't imagine trying to maintain upper body strength while recovering from shoulder surgery.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey lets not forget about the invisible man LJ Collier

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by five yard cushion you're referring to how far off the line of scrimmage he was pre-snap, generally that's determined by the coaching staff. With how much the Seahawks like to run cover-3, you normally only bring up the corners if you're trying to disguise the coverage or blitz.

When you run cover-3 out of the nickel with a single high safety and press the corners you risk the possibility that if the WR beats the press, then there will be a gap that the QB can throw to with only the safety over the top.

No, I was satirically referring to the impression that he seemed to always be 5 yards from his responsibility every time the receiver caught the ball.