• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do the Hawks improve their pass D?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Ziggy and Clowney will continue to be even more productive as they grow accustomed to the scheme, personel, coaching staff, etc... Clowney has been a beast... When Reed returns, teams wont be able to double team Clowney as much due to productive Reed is - especially rushing the passer... Safeties are definitely the weakest link on this defense right now...

Agree with Flyer, Griffin has been very good for us so far at the CB position... He's having a very strong season...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags aren't trading Ramsey as long as Uncle Rico keeps winning down there. Plus if the rumor is true on them turning down 2 firsts than I would go near that. Diggs I would kick the tires and see what Minny thoughts are even though they said he wouldn't be traded. When Reed gets back, I think our pass rush will be vastly improved which will help out our secondary.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the numbers: Which QBs have been best, worst against the...

For those that don't have an Athletic account.

The Seahawks rank 30th for pass pressure on non-bllitz plays
The Seahawks rank 9th for pass pressure on blitz plays
The Seahawks rank 29th in blitz frequency

Now we should realize that these numbers don't tell the whole story and the low frequency on blitz frequency likely is skewing their pressure numbers.

But is is pretty clear that this team has to adjust their defensive philosophy unless Jarran Reed is able to transform the entire defense which is a pretty big ask.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the numbers: Which QBs have been best, worst against the...

For those that don't have an Athletic account.

The Seahawks rank 30th for pass pressure on non-bllitz plays
The Seahawks rank 9th for pass pressure on blitz plays
The Seahawks rank 29th in blitz frequency

Now we should realize that these numbers don't tell the whole story and the low frequency on blitz frequency likely is skewing their pressure numbers.

But is is pretty clear that this team has to adjust their defensive philosophy unless Jarran Reed is able to transform the entire defense which is a pretty big ask.

That's kind of weird that they rank 29th in blitz frequency. I felt that they were blitzing more, but that could just be because it sticks out in my mind that they were successful in blitzing situations.

I think the pass rush will improve. Ansah has looked kind of rusty to me, but I'd assume things will improve with him. Once Ansah gets back to form (assuming he does) and Jarran Reed gets back I think the Seahawks will have more flexibility on passing downs.

The Seahawks training staff knows more than me but I think that they rushed Ansah back. I have to imagine in his case it would've been really difficult maintaining upper body strength while recovering from a shoulder injury.

Regarding the secondary in general it has been nice to see Griffin play well. With the way that the Seahawks scheme defensively, it puts more pressure on the CBs not having a guy like Earl Thomas out there in middle field.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags aren't trading Ramsey as long as Uncle Rico keeps winning down there. Plus if the rumor is true on them turning down 2 firsts than I would go near that. Diggs I would kick the tires and see what Minny thoughts are even though they said he wouldn't be traded. When Reed gets back, I think our pass rush will be vastly improved which will help out our secondary.

I'm relatively comfortable with the receiving corps right now. It could be a product of how well Russell Wilson has been playing, but the passing game has been extremely efficient. It's a team sport and so far the passing game has worked well for the Seahawks.

Also I don't know how the money works with a trade, but I'd rather not take on Stefon Diggs' contract. I think there are other priorities for the Seahawks financially.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we need Diggs? Heck we got Jennings and Ursa inactive almost every week and no i am not saying they are as good as Diggs lol i am saying they think enough of these guys to keep them on the roster even though our CB/S are thin with talent. Diggs is not some superstar and also has never played 16 games in a season. He is a solid WR i would say a step below Lockett.

You know what? our return game sucks and that needs to be improved that's for sure.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Diggs contract actually isn't all that bad. I'm not saying give up the world for him but him, Lockett and Metcalf would be right up there with the Rams trio and Carson would have more running room as teams would have to back off to respect the pass. It's just a thought.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm relatively comfortable with the receiving corps right now. It could be a product of how well Russell Wilson has been playing, but the passing game has been extremely efficient. It's a team sport and so far the passing game has worked well for the Seahawks.

Also I don't know how the money works with a trade, but I'd rather not take on Stefon Diggs' contract. I think there are other priorities for the Seahawks financially.

We have Reed to resign (will prob. be expensive, actually helps a bit he was suspended, but if he comes on and transforms the D yikes... looking at $11-12M+ per) and Clowney has looked incredible so far and would be probably $15M per. He was one of the few defenders that got pressure on Goff and he's been stellar in run defense. Our run defense last year was TERRIBLE (in YPC), this year it's massively improved. Now granted Al Woods is a big part of that (and a healthy KJ) but still...

Either way I don't want Ramsey or Diggs. We better hope Lockett stays healthy though...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just no on high priced import receivers. Done with that because it just doesn't work out how you want in most cases. Deon Branch, TJ Housh, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham. All of those moves were ill fated. Jimmy was productive here but most would still say he didn't really fit, and the deterioration of our offensive identity started as soon as we made that trade. Paying your homegrown guys like Baldwin & Lockett is a much better idea.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just no on high priced import receivers. Done with that because it just doesn't work out how you want in most cases. Deon Branch, TJ Housh, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham. All of those moves were ill fated. Jimmy was productive here but most would still say he didn't really fit, and the deterioration of our offensive identity started as soon as we made that trade. Paying your homegrown guys like Baldwin & Lockett is a much better idea.

I most certainly do not want to waste capital bringing in a receiver. It never works out.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a pass rush. It doesn't fix everything but it would help cover quite a few of the holes. And it's the most realistic way we get any improvement, unless the Jets decide to trade Jamal Adams.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Reed back will help, he’s a load upfront... Also it wouldn’t hurt to blitz a little more instead of always sending 4... Our zones were getting picked apart, it was painful ....

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a pass rush. It doesn't fix everything but it would help cover quite a few of the holes. And it's the most realistic way we get any improvement, unless the Jets decide to trade Jamal Adams.

I agree I don't see much pass rush coming from our defense and I have not been impressed with Clowney so far other than the pick 6 which was impressive and disrupting plays but he is on pace to finish the season with like 4 sacks in which we should just let him go to free agency

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree I don't see much pass rush coming from our defense and I have not been impressed with Clowney so far other than the pick 6 which was impressive and disrupting plays but he is on pace to finish the season with like 4 sacks in which we should just let him go to free agency

He also has 3 pass deflections (tied with the lead among DL) - 2 were on 3rd down and a forced fumble... He has 3 QB hits along w/ his sack and 4 QB hurries so he's making that QB think about the clock in his head a bit more... He's only going to get better...

The sacks haven't been there yet but he's been productive and disruptive imo...

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't understand what you all expected from Clowney he is not a 10+ Sack guy NEVER HAS BEEN! He is a disruptive force and that's his game not a sack master. He has been very disruptive for the Hawks this season so far.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand what you all expected from Clowney he is not a 10+ Sack guy NEVER HAS BEEN! He is a disruptive force and that's his game not a sack master. He has been very disruptive for the Hawks this season so far.

Well the amount of money he will be seeking at the end of this season I think needs to match the production and I get the disruption piece but I need him to start taking down the QB because right now people are telling me how disruptive he is so he is basically brings what Red Bryant used to bring to our team. He was solid player and I remember we didn't pay him what Clowney will be seeking. I am expecting what he is doing now plus 9 sacks which was what he did the last two years in Houston

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Donald and Frank Clark each only have 1 sack, same as Clowney. Clowney has a pretty high 1 on 1 win rate, and he's deflected a couple passes (one resulted in an INT), has a pick 6 of his own, and he's collapsed the pocket quite a few times. Also a fumble recovery. Sacks is not the only way to impact the game.

This Sunday is the last game of Reed's suspension. It will take him a while to work into things, but when he does then we should be in really good shape up front with Ansah, Jarran Reed, Poona Ford, Clowney, and the rotation guys -- Jefferson, Green, Collier, etc.

Unrelated, but Rams host 49ers on Sunday. Who do you guys want to win that one? I'm leaning Rams because we already beat them, but then again we need the 49ers to get a loss at some point. If you think the Niners are for real, then you are probably rooting for the Rams. If you think the Rams will still emerge as the biggest obstacle to winning the division, then I guess you have to wan the 49ers to win?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the amount of money he will be seeking at the end of this season I think needs to match the production and I get the disruption piece but I need him to start taking down the QB because right now people are telling me how disruptive he is so he is basically brings what Red Bryant used to bring to our team. He was solid player and I remember we didn't pay him what Clowney will be seeking. I am expecting what he is doing now plus 9 sacks which was what he did the last two years in Houston

sacks normally come in bunches, 3 games from now he might have 3 and a 1/2 more sacks putting him on pace for 9. But 9 sacks for Clowney is a high number for him. Also a Red Bryant type player in todays game would get paid pretty well. Thing is Red Bryants BEST season was never as good as Clowneys.

Also the Hawks Coaches don't know how to use Clowney right now, they are still feeling him out.

Last edited:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Reed will be your biggest upgrade to the pass rush. Interior guys that can command attention help the guys on the outside by giving them better looks.

Nick Bosa is getting a lot of attention right now because he is a very talented pass rusher but what's being lost is he's getting great looks with Deforest Buckner in the middle forcing offenses to account for him because you're always going to take your chances with pressure from the outside over pressure from the inside.

Clowney and Ziggy do have room to improve but I'd say for the most part what you're seeing right now is what you're going to get. The Clowney you're seeing right now is the what Clowney has been his entire career so far in a guy that's a monster run defender and above average pass rusher. Ziggy is the biggest wild card but at this point with his injury history it's probably more likely he's under 10 sacks than over it.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well having watched the Browns game and I know there were a lot of good things the defense did but there were some breaks we caught in that game if the browns receivers would have caught some key passes for first downs and that one guy literally botching a pass to his hands for an INT in the 4th quarter that could have changed the outcome of the game. I saw a decent amount of pressure but there was nothing there to really penetrate the pass game.