• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Did Derrick Henry Last Until the 2nd round

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy won the Heisman, looks like The Hulk and Groot had a baby, runs a 4.5, yet went 45th overall in the draft. How does this happen? I mean, the analysis of Derrick Henry's NFL upside is hardly difficult--"Big man fast. Give man rock. Man runs hard." NFL talent evaluation is fascinating.

capture_20160111_193716.jpg

"Former Michigan State defensive coordinator Harlan Barnett, whose team faced Henry in the 2015 college football playoffs described it this way: “You get tired of hitting that big back,” he said. “Boom. Again. Here he comes again. Boom. Again and again and again. And so you have to have the mental toughness to be able to say: ‘Hold on. We’re going to hold up, and we’re going to keep smacking him. Keep hitting him.’”

That’s if you can get your hands on him. Compounding his weightiness and his speed — 4.5 seconds in the 40-meter dash — is his ability to cutback and make defenders miss in space. And as if those traits weren’t enough to deal with, there is his long stride. At 6-foot-3, he literally eat up the yard lines like his legs are hungry for dirt.

Someone at Alabama once measured that stride. In full lope, Henry covers 7.5 feet per step. Think about that for a second: That’s two and half yards per stride. It’s 10 yards in just four steps. “If we can get him into his fourth or fifth step, we feel very confident in his ability and our ability to gain meaningful yards,” Vrabel said. And once he breaks a tackle, he’s gone. On 23 occasions this season he's burst upfield for 15 yards or longer, most in the league.

“He doesn’t get caught much,” Patriots Coach Bill Belichick observed."

Finally, there is Henry’s capacity for a daunting workload. He’s carried the ball 96 times in his past three games, a scarcely believable rate in this era of balance offense. But for him, it’s normal. Back in high school in Yulee, Florida, he regularly carried 40 or more times a game, and the trend continued at Alabama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...14d9e8-38ba-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html

NFL Draft 2016: The 44 players somehow chosen before Derrick Henry

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasnt his blocking and pass catching a question at alabama? he has 57 catches in his career, career high 18 last year.

he was a one trick pony at alabama, and teams was complete 3 down backs.

Reactions: GNG

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol yeah he had 17 catches at alabama. 17. he did that in 2019 for TN.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the RB isn't considered important any more? I don't really know why that is, we have gravitated to almost completely passing and the running back position is considered easily replaceable. Maybe Henry will change this mindset? I mean, about the only way to control Mahommes is to keep him off the field. If Henry can run on KC like he has the last 2 weeks and Tn. can control possession, limiting Mahommes time of possession, things could get interesting!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but a lot of backs coming out of college lack blocking and pass catching skills. From what I have seen, Henry can catch a little in the screen game and is actually devastating on screens because he can bust out into the open field with a head of steam.

I think the main concern from what I read was lack of quickness. People felt he would be too slow to accelerate and would struggle to make the first man miss at the pro level. Some of that is true but if used right he is devastating. He has plenty of speed but needs a couple of strides to get going, deeper sets etc.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the RB isn't considered important any more? I don't really know why that is, we have gravitated to almost completely passing and the running back position is considered easily replaceable. Maybe Henry will change this mindset? I mean, about the only way to control Mahommes is to keep him off the field. If Henry can run on KC like he has the last 2 weeks and Tn. can control possession, limiting Mahommes time of possession, things could get interesting!

Astute observation. Who are you and where is the real Mrs. Chaney?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to say that Henry is not on a hot streak and the Titans should ride him as much as they can, but Henry has been in the league for 4 seasons now and has less than 4,000 yards rushing. Not exactly superstar stats.

Reactions: gob

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because running backs don't matter. Look how high Barkley went. Now look how many wins the Giants have had in his first two seasons.

A RB isn't valuable without a whole team around them. Henry is a good back, but the Titans needed to be a well rounded team before his role could become meaningful.

Hard to have use a 1st round pick on something that isn't useful.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to say that Henry is not on a hot streak and the Titans should ride him as much as they can, but Henry has been in the league for 4 seasons now and has less than 4,000 yards rushing. Not exactly superstar stats.

He was sharing carries with Demarco Murray earlier in his career. Since getting the chance to start he has been pretty beastly.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was sharing carries with Demarco Murray earlier in his career. Since getting the chance to start he has been pretty beastly.

This season is the 1st time he has reached star status. I don't know his contract status but as a 2nd rounder pick, isn't this his contract year?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because running backs don't matter. Look how high Barkley went. Now look how many wins the Giants have had in his first two seasons.

A RB isn't valuable without a whole team around them. Henry is a good back, but the Titans needed to be a well rounded team before his role could become meaningful.

Hard to have use a 1st round pick on something that isn't useful.

Broncos took Paxton Lynch ahead of Henry in the 2016 draft. How useful is he?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean this season is the first season he averaged over 60 yards a game. His 4th season.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His career has Damarco Murray written all over it.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos took Paxton Lynch ahead of Henry in the 2016 draft. How useful is he?

Philip Lindsay has had back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons to start his career. Denver has yet to top .500 in either season. A good RB does not equal having a good team or even a good offense. You need a complete team before a good RB can have a meaningful role.

Added bonus, Lindsay was undrafted. Why do I need to use a 1st round pick on a RB when good RBs can be found anywhere?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillip Lindsay is a generational talent. All you haters just don't understand until the Broncos upgrade their OL.