• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Bad Are Things At Nebraska?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll be damned.

Mississippi St (who lost to Iowa in their bowl game) throttled Blahburn (23-9) last season.

Mississippi St didn't want to be in that bowl tho, right?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think @Wild Turkey is still butt-hurt with Frost because Frost and UCF beat 10.5 point favorite Blahburn in that Peach Bowl that Blahburn didn't want to be in?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll be damned.

Mississippi St (who lost to Iowa in their bowl game) throttled Blahburn (23-9) last season.

Mississippi St didn't want to be in that bowl tho, right?

When you have to resort to Iowa/MSU for trash talk, you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Might as well take shots at Cal Poly...

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a punter/kicker you can sit on the sidelines and eat a hamburger or smoke a cigar until your name is called. This makes them as much of an athlete as a bowler, a pool shark, or a dart thrower.

I dunno... At least the punter/kickers are generally in MUCH better shape than "a bowler, a pool shark, or a dart thrower"... heh heh :heh:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have to resort to Iowa/MSU for trash talk, you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Might as well take shots at Cal Poly...

Not my trash talk thread, ya flaming idiot.

You butt-hurt over Frost beating blahburn too?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5/25/18 - What Is Nebraska's Blackshirt Tradition Now?

Zack Bowman understood, though some were perplexed by what he did.

Bowman, a cornerback and senior co-captain on Bill Callahan’s final team in 2007, didn’t wear his Blackshirt to practice on the Tuesday following Nebraska’s 49-31 loss against USC.

He didn’t wear it the next day, or the next.

He didn’t deserve to wear it, Bowman said, because he wasn’t playing as a Blackshirt should play. Not that others on defense necessarily were. But the system was in place. If you were on the first-team defense, and that might include more than 11, you “earned” a black practice jersey.

Those players were the Blackshirts. That’s how it worked. So there was no reason to criticize those who didn’t follow Bowman’s lead. The interpretation and statement were his alone.

Four games later, following a 45-14 Homecoming loss to Oklahoma State, on the heels of a 41-6 loss at Missouri, all the Blackshirts were pulled – and Athletic Director Steve Pederson was fired.

Nebraska wouldn’t have Blackshirts again until early November of 2008, when new head coach Bo Pelini finally determined they had been earned, 10 games into the season.

Pelini’s departure from the defensive-starters-get-them approach to one by which they-have-to-be-earned was questioned by some, who wondered about his commitment to tradition. But that was precisely why he did what he did. “Blackshirts are earned on the field,” he said.

9/10/18 - https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_51262095-f08d-5c04-b429-8b664ab63882.html

The Nebraska football team doled out seven of the coveted defensive practice jerseys as the Huskers got back to work after Saturday's 33-28 loss to Colorado.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5/25/18 - What Is Nebraska's Blackshirt Tradition Now?

Zack Bowman understood, though some were perplexed by what he did.

Bowman, a cornerback and senior co-captain on Bill Callahan’s final team in 2007, didn’t wear his Blackshirt to practice on the Tuesday following Nebraska’s 49-31 loss against USC.

He didn’t wear it the next day, or the next.

He didn’t deserve to wear it, Bowman said, because he wasn’t playing as a Blackshirt should play. Not that others on defense necessarily were. But the system was in place. If you were on the first-team defense, and that might include more than 11, you “earned” a black practice jersey.

Those players were the Blackshirts. That’s how it worked. So there was no reason to criticize those who didn’t follow Bowman’s lead. The interpretation and statement were his alone.

Four games later, following a 45-14 Homecoming loss to Oklahoma State, on the heels of a 41-6 loss at Missouri, all the Blackshirts were pulled – and Athletic Director Steve Pederson was fired.

Nebraska wouldn’t have Blackshirts again until early November of 2008, when new head coach Bo Pelini finally determined they had been earned, 10 games into the season.

Pelini’s departure from the defensive-starters-get-them approach to one by which they-have-to-be-earned was questioned by some, who wondered about his commitment to tradition. But that was precisely why he did what he did. “Blackshirts are earned on the field,” he said.

9/10/18 - https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_51262095-f08d-5c04-b429-8b664ab63882.html

The Nebraska football team doled out seven of the coveted defensive practice jerseys as the Huskers got back to work after Saturday's 33-28 loss to Colorado.

Yup, Cosgrove and Pelini both fucked the Blackshirt tradition.

From the beginning of the Blackshirts in the early 60's, every defensive STARTER wore a black jersey in practice. The reason why is they could only afford 11 of them. If you wanted a 'Blackshirt' in your locker you had to beat the guy ahead of you. i.e. He would lose his Blackshirt and have to earn it back. Economics obviously changed but they kept that tradition of only 11 throughout the 70's, 80's, 90.s.

Cosgrove fucked it up by passing them out like candy. You had half the defensive players wearing black jerseys in practice. Instead of just 11 there were like 30.

Pelini further fucked it up by withholding them completely in practice until players "earned them". A guy like Ndomukong Suh didn't even get one. Then instead of giving them to all starters (i.e. 11 of them) he would only issue them to just a handful of players. They went like 6 games one year of nobody getting a black jersey in their locker. We're talking Ndomukong Suh here. One of the greatest defensive lineman of all-time.

Frost knows the tradition and will bring it back.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Cosgrove and Pelini both fucked the Blackshirt tradition.

From the beginning of the Blackshirts in the early 60's, every defensive STARTER wore a black jersey in practice. The reason why is they could only afford 11 of them. If you wanted a 'Blackshirt' in your locker you had to beat the guy ahead of you. i.e. He would lose his Blackshirt and have to earn it back. Economics obviously changed but they kept that tradition of only 11 throughout the 70's, 80's, 90.s.

Cosgrove fucked it up by passing them out like candy. You had half the defensive players wearing black jerseys in practice. Instead of just 11 there were like 30.

Pelini further fucked it up by withholding them completely in practice until players "earned them". A guy like Ndomukong Suh didn't even get one. Then instead of giving them to all starters (i.e. 11 of them) he would only issue them to just a handful of players. They went like 6 games one year of nobody getting a black jersey in their locker. We're talking Ndomukong Suh here. One of the greatest defensive lineman of all-time.

Frost knows the tradition and will bring it back.

I am sure Suh and the DL got them. I was going to York at the time. Everyone talked about how the Blackshirts were back, and I will admit, they (well, Husker's defense) were exciting to watch with Suh.

Also, Frost gave out 7 blackshirts last season after they lost to Colorado, giving up 33 points.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again....When you earned a Blackshirt it was hanging in your locker when you went to suit up for practice. It was a surprise and an honor for hard work, being a better athlete, knowing the playbook better, whatever the case. It was theirs to defend, or lose to some 2nd or 3rd stringer.
Instead of the emotion of a player finding it hanging in their locker, Cosgrove started handing them out in team meetings.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure Suh and the DL got them. I was going to York at the time. Everyone talked about how the Blackshirts were back, and I will admit, they (well, Husker's defense) were exciting to watch with Suh.

Also, Frost gave out 7 blackshirts last season after they lost to Colorado, giving up 33 points.

Well you spent a couple years in York, NE as an Iowa fan so that obviously makes you an expert on all things Nebraska football.

That being said......You're gonna have to trust me on this, but as I said there was a point where nobody had them 6 games into the season. Not even Suh.

Pelini: Nebraska defenders must 'earn' Blackshirts

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Coach Bo Pelini says his defense isn't worthy despite giving up the fewest points in the nation."

Pelini mind fucked his players so bad they never knew what they were doing in games. They often looked to the side line with their hands in the air like "What are we supposed to be doing, we didn't see this formation/play in practice."

Suh was a one-man-team that was so disruptive he freed up at least 2 other defenders on every play. He was double/triple teamed every play whether it was a run or pass.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you spent a couple years in York, NE as an Iowa fan so that obviously makes you an expert on all things Nebraska football.

That being said......You're gonna have to trust me on this, but as I said there was a point where nobody had them 6 games into the season. Not even Suh.

Pelini: Nebraska defenders must 'earn' Blackshirts

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_d2fb42ee-f57d-5c92-a441-eeeb67c410a0.html

Ndamukong Suh had a decision to make after last season: go to the NFL, or come back to Nebraska. Suh decided to come back, and now is set to anchor the Blackshirt defensive line.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my trash talk thread, ya flaming idiot.

You butt-hurt over Frost beating blahburn too?
I'll get that rent payment over pronto for the space I'm occupying in your head.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, it was s joke.

Btw, I enjoyed Frost beating our rival. I would think you would enjoy Iowa losing as well.

Iowa's not really Nebraska's 'rival'. What little is there is media created. I only care that they lose to the Huskers. It could get there eventually, but it's not there now.
They're more like Missouri was to Nebraska. They aren't the type of program that will make Nebraska better like playing Oklahoma did. Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan will be the type of programs that make Nebraska better.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll get that rent payment over pronto for the space I'm occupying in your head.

We know who's in who's head, don't we barndoor?

tGabeC0.gif