• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

House keeping

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think the stable lineup Riggleman ran out there for awhile did enable the team to play at least well enough to be relevant for 60 days or so. That would be useful come ST if the infield is in place and at least 2 outfielders are game ready. Appears, so far, that is the case.
Of course, hamstrings and obliques ... Cincy does not have NAPA replacement parts. They go to the scrap heap behind Earl Scheib's garage.
Anybody thinks the 'we're gonna get the pitching' line that Castellini threw out there ... yes, Bob has no idea about how the game is played. He needs to own the thing, not run it. Even I can look at the list of pitchers on the FA list and compare it to the guys the Reds have ... seriously? Lance Lynn?
The Reds go into the FA market with one hand inside the bag without looking inside the bag to see what's rattling in there.
They still will give up 2 or 3 homers a game in GABP and we all know it.
If they are serious, they go out and get 2 or 3 home run hitters and try to win 13-11, just like the 1956 Redlegs, who almost won a pennant.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds need a REAL orgnanizational change, hopefully, one that could be made with current ownership. The reason I say that is, Castellini does appear to care- about the legacy, keeping the team in Cincinnati, and if he’s to be believed, about putting a better team on the field. Not sure he knows enough to hire the guys required to accomplish that though.

It’s been a long time since the Reds farm system was a consistent producer of more than short term role players.

Not all of that is the inability to keep MLB payroll pace with contenders, some of that has to fall on the organizations ability to draft and trade better at lower levels, and to improve skills rather than just going through the motions. I think the major problems with the Reds annual MLB product, is their minor league product 4 years earlier.

That’s tougher than signing $3M per year roster filler and trying to draw fans for fireworks and hometown has-been at the end of their careers. The Reds can’t keep a “core” of legit talent until this disfunctional farm fills in the blanks. They simply have to produce more- predominantly pitchers, from lower levels. It takes more than a 95 mph fastball for ball 4 to do that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft picks 5 through 10 are often pitchers and are often sold to the fans as low-risk, high-potential prospects. The reality is these guys are a dime a dozen, will sign for 10 grand and show up in camp. Most of them get cut and end up in the indy leagues, where the scouts get one more look at them after they learn some pro skills. NONE of these guys should get any higher than Dayton on a serious run and none should ever make the International League.

So the next time the Reds tell you they have this solid core of pitching prospects, it's bogus. These pitchers are borderline starters at D1 schools and that's about it. Most of them are better in the outfield. Cincy isn't the only outfit doing this, so anytime they trade these guys in a 2-fer deal for somebody like Chris Heisey, it's just organizational paperwork.

Lucas Sims? David Holmberg?

If they aren't drafting a top flight pitcher in the 2nd round, they need to look for catchers, who are more useful. But there are very few pitchers like that and when a bust like Stephenson comes along, it sets everything back a year.

I don't know how many big-league arms are in the college draft or even the high school draft. Hunter Greene is 3 years out. Santillan may be ready in 2020. After that, who knows.

There are a lot of guys who got a rare chance to pitch at the top level in the Reds organization. Once in a lifetime. Most of them coughed it up. The rest belong in the bullpen.

Or pitching in Gary.

I see a lot of that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This hasn’t changed:

“You can’t teach 95 mph”

It’s still pitching evaluation 101...pervasive in ALL scouting, and signing pitchers.

They say “Just show me the fastball”. It’s THE instruction to prospects everywhere, in every tryout, since Abner Doubleday. Sometime shortly after, they used a radar gun. The Reds have one too...lol.

they might ask another possibly more pertinent question;

“How often does he hit the mitt with it ?”

Don’t get me wrong- the blazing fastball is great...but Tom Glavine isnt in the HOF because of an 89mph fastball.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of the house cleaning has been in the dugout, but there are some new names in key player development and scouting jobs as well. I think someone finally opened their eyes and realized a change was needed. I'd rather it didn't take four 90+ losing seasons to realize it.

I like what I'm hearing from Derek Johnson. One of the first things he did after being hired was get in contact with the developmental staff. From what I've heard Johnson is going to play a heavy hand in the organizations developmental strategy. The guy has a nice resume in player development, so I'm more optimistic than before the hiring.

Nothing this team does is a quick fix moving forward, but at least they're laying the groundwork for improvement.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night was the last roster deadline of 2018 and it didn't come with any real shockers. Billy Hamilton would have been a prime candidate for most teams to non-tender with an expected $6M arbitration salary looming. The Reds have stated there was little to no interest on the trade market for BH, so they essentially released him to free agency.

There's always the chance he resigns later with the Reds if the market doesn't offer him what he wants. But I think some one will offer him a deal and he'll move on.

The Reds haven't been very smart over the years with the timing of their trades and such. Non-tendering BH is another example. Other teams knew he was a candidate to be non-tendered, so why offer any value in a trade for a player that most likely is going to be a free agent in a few weeks.
Waiting to trade players until your back is up against the wall greatly reduces your leverage. The Chapman deal should have taught them a lesson, but this group has been slow to figure out the transaction learning curve.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentlemen, just checking in to let you know another member of the Big Red Machine is here to commisserate in our collective misery as we traverse another offseason where hope springs eternal that Castellini opens his wallet and gets us what we need.

No shocker about Billy, paying him that $6-7 mil was untenable. Shame we couldn't get anything for him, someone will sign him on the cheap. I wouldnt mind resigning him to a club friendly deal, always nice to have his defense, but not at the expense of a lineup spot for someone like Senzel. What are y'alls thoughts on sticking Nick in the outfield? Dont see us shaking up the infield at all at this point.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in love with Billy's game about twice a week, wondered why he was on the team the other five days. The idea that the Reds had the fastest player in baseball and the hardest-throwing lefty in league history and still averaged 90-some losses a year, it's kind of like knowing you live with Miss September, except she's your sister.
The objective is to win, not have guys win Gold Gloves or tag up on popups to the catcher or throw 106 mph against the Padres on Sept. 14.
The question is whether Senzel will be in the OF or at 2nd base. I think for the moment, they move Ervin or Schebler to CF.
Senzel will be in the minors until June, probably. That's business. If the Reds deal Scooter -- and they might -- that leaves an OF spot open for Mason Jar or Taylor Trammell, who isn't ready yet. But outfielders can be found on the doorstep. Ervin has made the team. Jose Siri might be a good replacement for Billy. Most infielders can play an OK outfield.
Shed Long will now get a chance.
Hamilton will find work. He has skills that can't be replicated. His hitting isn't relevant in the AL, so figure he'll end up there, probably where the outfield is huge -- Detroit maybe.
BH was blocking progress. His game is going be what it is, always was ... and 7 million bucks to watch a guy eventually get slower ... those 94 losses every year have to be addressed in cold hard ways.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can pick up a Straily-type guy on the cheap, I think that would be a coup. They may actually already have such a guy on the roster.

Say no to Zach Greinke.