• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hot & cold - May 2017

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we don't need to be reminded of who did well and who did not for the month of May (yeah, I may be going a little grabsomepinemeat here) but I find it interesting to see who was doing well versus who I thought was doing well (as well as who was really cold versus who I thought was cold). Here goes:

Hot:flame:
Nick Hundley - The backup catcher signed for his bat at least performed to expectations in May, hitting .324/.368/.500 in 34 May at-bats. Maybe he needs to play more.
George Kontos - It doesn't take much to stand out in this bullpen. Kontos posted a 1.214 WHIP and a 1.93 ERA in 12 relief appearances. I just don't want to know how he did with inherited runners.
Mark Melancon - He missed about half the month to injury but when he could pitch, he did well. In 6 appearances he converted 5 saves with 0 walks and only 1 run allowed. Of course, his best appearance was his lone non-save situation.
Buster Posey - At least the catchers know what they are doing at the plate. Posey hit an amazing .344/.454/.600(!!) in May.
Jeff Samardzija - He had a couple of stinkers but in the 4 other starts for the month, the guy was on fire! For the month, he posted a 1.057 WHIP and 3.32 ERA with just 1 (one!) walk allowed on the month.

Cold:o

Christian Arroyo - There is a reason he went down to AAA (besides a veteran being ready to play again), Christian hit .188/.255/.271, teaming very nicely (in a bad way) with Joe Panik.
Matt Cain - In 6 starts, Cain had two quality starts. A third could have been considered quality had he gone 6 innings. However, two of his starts were awful. He posted a 1.856 WHIP and 6.40 ERA, with his only win coming against the Dodgers (must have been a twilight game).
Conor Gillaspie - Before going down with an injury, Gillaspie's bat was hurting. He went 0 for 15 with 1 walk (and an RBI! There's hope!) in 7 games.
Gorkys Hernandez - Everybody's favorite 4th outfielder on this board showed he could not hit in the big leagues in May (after also doing much the same in April), sporting a .196/.293/.255 split in 51 at-bats.
Aaron Hill - While the dude certainly brings some veteran presence to the experienced, veteran heavy lineup, he doesn't bring much more. Since coming off the dl on May 27th, he proceeded to go 1 for 8 with 2 walks and 2 runs in May.
Matt Moore - It is a well know fact that pitchers named Matt don't like the month of May. Or maybe its the month of May don't like pitchers named Matt. Moore did throw 3 quality start but was mediocre in 2 others and absolutely stunk in another start. A 1.543 WHIP and 5.14 ERA earns him a place on this list.
Bryan Morris - I debated whether to include him but a 1.829 WHIP simply has to earn a spot here. Kuddos to him for only having a 4.61 ERA after allowing all those runners.
Michael Morse - His bat off the bench has been something else - going 5 for 26 with 3 walks and no extra base hits.
Steven Okert - He certainly didn't take the most of his opportunity, walking more batters (5) than he struck out (4), and giving up 5 runs in 11 appearances.
Joe Panik - We need some more vintage Panik but the May 2017 version was just awful - .192/.250/.303 in 99 at bats.
Hunter Pence - The guy wasn't brought back from injury so he could continue his frigid start to May - .190/.186/.333 in 11 games.
Justin Ruggiano - While hardly the worst of the bunch, he certainly deserves to be on this list, hitting .217/.238/.333 in 60 at bats before getting the boot.
Kelby Tomlinson - He wasn't so super this month - 3 for 19 with 1 walk and no extra base hits.
Mac Williamson - Given the amount of hitters on this list, it is a bit puzzling that he would not stay on the roster. However, he did hit a paltry .161/.235/.258 before going back to Sacramento.

If not for the dud against Cincinnati early in the month, Ty Blach would definitely fit in the first category.