• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hopkins deal?

Mjharvey1878

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cooper just got 5 years/100 million, he has to get more than that. That’s why the Texans traded him. I get that. I still don’t believe the pitiful return

RealAlex01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Fitzgerald led the Arizona Cardinals with 804 receiving yards at 36 years old, so you needed a true No. 1 wideout. Kliff Kingsbury's offense was limited without a consistent deep-ball threat and you now have that with DeAndre Hopkins.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pleased as punch. This was a steal no matter what way you slice it.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cooper just got 5 years/100 million, he has to get more than that. That’s why the Texans traded him. I get that. I still don’t believe the pitiful return
Funny thing is the Texans went and got 2 WRs that don't really replace what Hopkins does and are essentially paying them combined what Hopkins wants. Plus they took DJ's contract so paying out about 33 mil or something like that. O'Brien is an absolute fool. The Cards can pay Hopkins easily having dumped Johnson.

Mjharvey1878

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is the Texans went and got 2 WRs that don't really replace what Hopkins does and are essentially paying them combined what Hopkins wants. Plus they took DJ's contract so paying out about 33 mil or something like that. O'Brien is an absolute fool. The Cards can pay Hopkins easily having dumped Johnson.

No argument there. O'Brien's biggest problem is his arrogance. He thinks he knows so much and is smarter than everyone at the table, but truthfully doesnt realize the table is laughing at him, not with him.

The difference is that they are paying those WR for less years than they would have committed to Hopkins. BoB is spinning it as we could have these 3 guys for the price of one Hopkins. He feels like he can outsmart and outmaneuver the system. The problem is the risk he is taking on DJ staying healthy, Cooks staying healthy, and Cobb not showing his age. On paper, he might be right that those 3 match the production of one Hopkins and don't prevent the Texans from backing up the truck for Watson and Tunsil. However, all it takes is those guys getting hurt (like 2 of them always do) or not producing at their expected levels for this deal to not work out.

All of that STILL doesn't excuse the piss poor return O'Brien keeps getting on these trades. Johnson had negative trade value, and the Card's 2nd is a good pick but it doesn't match the value of a top 3 WR. He deserves a lot of criticism.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument there. O'Brien's biggest problem is his arrogance. He thinks he knows so much and is smarter than everyone at the table, but truthfully doesnt realize the table is laughing at him, not with him.

The difference is that they are paying those WR for less years than they would have committed to Hopkins. BoB is spinning it as we could have these 3 guys for the price of one Hopkins. He feels like he can outsmart and outmaneuver the system. The problem is the risk he is taking on DJ staying healthy, Cooks staying healthy, and Cobb not showing his age. On paper, he might be right that those 3 match the production of one Hopkins and don't prevent the Texans from backing up the truck for Watson and Tunsil. However, all it takes is those guys getting hurt (like 2 of them always do) or not producing at their expected levels for this deal to not work out.

All of that STILL doesn't excuse the piss poor return O'Brien keeps getting on these trades. Johnson had negative trade value, and the Card's 2nd is a good pick but it doesn't match the value of a top 3 WR. He deserves a lot of criticism.
Yeah, I get the thinking regarding the long term deal to Hopkins and but he is paying approximately 1.5 times for those 3 for next season. The article I read said something like 33-34 mil including DJ. And yes, come the end of the season,( if we get a season) the Texans are looking at 40 mil per and 200 guaranteed to Watson in all likelihood. and Tunsil will be another big hit.
My issue with those 3 guys isn't even from a health standpoint, tbh. It's just that Hopkins does way more than them.
Imo, Cobb is done and really isn't all that good to begin with. He had a couple good seasons with Rodgers but that was then.
Cooks is a deep threat when healthy and has had pretty good numbers. But he has played with 2 HOF QBs and in great offensive schemes under very good coaches. And he has been dumped by every team. Likely injury notwithstanding, getting let go is telling. Not only that, his best attribute is tge same as the 2 WRs Houston already has in Stills amd Fuller. What do they do, just say go deep and tell Watson to let it fly every down?
Now for the white elephant in the room in David Johnson. Honestly, his contract is an albatross and he's a flash in the pan RB. Here's where I maybe include the injury situation to some degree also but I don't think most of these dual threat RBs are all that special anyway.
The thing with Hopkins is he is a great intermediate route runner that moves the chains and has great hands (maybe the best hands in the biz). He can, at times, go vertical but that's not really what he is. He had a "down" year last year by his srandards. 104 catches fir 1165 at 11.2 avg but a lot of that had to do with Fuller and Stills both getting more targets as Hopkins drew more double coverage. People easily also forget that before Watson came, the Texans might have had the worst run of QBs in the modern era yet Hopkins was still very good.
But I agree with all you said and most of the argument against Hopkins is nothing more tham O'Brien spin and deflection. If I was Watson and/or his agent, I would be tempted to play out the rookie deal and get tagged. Then just walk if O'Brien is still running things. No way I would want to be a part of that inept situation.

Mjharvey1878

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get the thinking regarding the long term deal to Hopkins and but he is paying approximately 1.5 times for those 3 for next season. The article I read said something like 33-34 mil including DJ. And yes, come the end of the season,( if we get a season) the Texans are looking at 40 mil per and 200 guaranteed to Watson in all likelihood. and Tunsil will be another big hit.
My issue with those 3 guys isn't even from a health standpoint, tbh. It's just that Hopkins does way more than them.
Imo, Cobb is done and really isn't all that good to begin with. He had a couple good seasons with Rodgers but that was then.
Cooks is a deep threat when healthy and has had pretty good numbers. But he has played with 2 HOF QBs and in great offensive schemes under very good coaches. And he has been dumped by every team. Likely injury notwithstanding, getting let go is telling. Not only that, his best attribute is tge same as the 2 WRs Houston already has in Stills amd Fuller. What do they do, just say go deep and tell Watson to let it fly every down?
Now for the white elephant in the room in David Johnson. Honestly, his contract is an albatross and he's a flash in the pan RB. Here's where I maybe include the injury situation to some degree also but I don't think most of these dual threat RBs are all that special anyway.
The thing with Hopkins is he is a great intermediate route runner that moves the chains and has great hands (maybe the best hands in the biz). He can, at times, go vertical but that's not really what he is. He had a "down" year last year by his srandards. 104 catches fir 1165 at 11.2 avg but a lot of that had to do with Fuller and Stills both getting more targets as Hopkins drew more double coverage. People easily also forget that before Watson came, the Texans might have had the worst run of QBs in the modern era yet Hopkins was still very good.
But I agree with all you said and most of the argument against Hopkins is nothing more tham O'Brien spin and deflection. If I was Watson and/or his agent, I would be tempted to play out the rookie deal and get tagged. Then just walk if O'Brien is still running things. No way I would want to be a part of that inept situation.

And your last lines are my biggest concern. I am a Texans fan by proximity. I live here, so I support the home team. But the Oilers were my football team for many years. When they left, my heart for the NFL left with them. I was living in Arkansas when the Texans started up, and so I have no real deep connection with this team. That makes it hard for me to be willing to put up with this INEPT franchise. Excellent word choice, by the way. So all that said, why would Watson stay? Money would be the only reason I'd think. However, DeShaun also strikes me as someone who is extremely loyal. He is a genuinely great human being. He matches the same image that so many other Houston sports icons have projected over the years. I'd hate to see him play somewhere else, and that says a lot coming from a native Alabamian.

Meh, it's things like this that make me focus on College Football more and more every year.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing about Hopkins contract that I think was true with what Bill O'Brian said was that there were rumors of him wanting a new contract. He is barely top 10 as a receiver in the league as far as salary and after seeing Amari Cooper get 20 million I think Hopkins will want a new deal that would put him above that around where Julio Jones has around 22-23 million