• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Homestretch thread

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my conservative ass wants him gone, you know it's time, haha.

when I used to post on cbssports.com me and another regular poster had said that Sutton's schemes were gonna be a killer...

Honestly it's not only the schemes, though. Knowing WHEN to do things(blitzing, soft zones, etc. ) is a huge part of the equation, too...

obviously quite a bit goes into it, but he's simply not the right guy for the job...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when I used to post on cbssports.com me and another regular poster had said that Sutton's schemes were gonna be a killer...

Honestly it's not only the schemes, though. Knowing WHEN to things(blitzing, soft zones, etc. ) is a huge part of the equation, too...

obviously quite a bit goes into it, but he's simply not the right guy for the job...
He has plenty of toys a good DC can work with at this point, and he had to have had some input on signing Hitchens I'd imagine.

It all adds up to a firing, or a polite nudge into retirement. Either way, he can't be the Chiefs DC next year. This is absurd to have a defense with Jones, Houston, Ford, Berry, and two decently graded corners, and still be a disaster on defense.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is gonna come off as highly controversial in some places, but I think Ward should get another start over Scandrick and is ahead of Smith as well on the depth chart at this point. Not much to lose at this point at that 3rd CB spot, may as well go with some upside. Tremon is straight up not ready to see a field on D, imo. Better to just check up on him the next year or two.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch games like the one against the Raiders and I feel like its obvious that Mahomes is the MVP. I believe really early on he made some impossible sack escape on 3rd down with a throw to Sherman. I think he had a 70yd TD bomb the next pass play.

Raiders were able to stop the Chiefs on the goal line with 3rd and 2 and 4th and Inches. Chiefs aren't a dominant stand-up and knock em down offense. They need their crazy awesome offensive stars.

Teams have all pretty much done the same things in the 2nd half of the season against the Chiefs. Browns and Raiders were doing lots of quick passes. Everyone runs the football. It seems like New England gameplanned to take Kelce out while the rest of the league has been gameplanning to take Hill out.

I figure the Chiefs have a 50/50 shot at beating anyone in the AFC. So...25% chance at a Super Bowl. Maybe a little higher with Watkins and Fuller healthy.

All I know is that the Chiefs are going to live and die based on how Mahomes plays and nobody is going to give him the edge to make plays out of the pocket.

Sidenote: finally ate at Joes. Good stuff

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs v Colts playoffs game thoughts.

Offense: B
Defense: A-
Special Teams: D-

I guess that was enough to get things done. Chiefs had a bunch of pre-game stuff based on Colts film it looks like. Colts did what everyone thought they were going to do on offense and the Chiefs were ready for the Colts to go run, run, short pass, run, short pass, run. Knocked down a lot of balls on defense. Probably dropped a couple of INTs. Colts defense played aggressive and Andy Reid was able to get his fast guys in space and have the Colts players on skates.

That punting unit was abysmal, though. They had one block for a TD and I think 2 more that could've been blocked. Reid and Sutton look like geniuses and Toub looked bad. Go figure.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9470_zpsubapddas.jpeg

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs v Colts playoffs game thoughts.

Offense: B
Defense: A-
Special Teams: D-

I guess that was enough to get things done. Chiefs had a bunch of pre-game stuff based on Colts film it looks like. Colts did what everyone thought they were going to do on offense and the Chiefs were ready for the Colts to go run, run, short pass, run, short pass, run. Knocked down a lot of balls on defense. Probably dropped a couple of INTs. Colts defense played aggressive and Andy Reid was able to get his fast guys in space and have the Colts players on skates.

That punting unit was abysmal, though. They had one block for a TD and I think 2 more that could've been blocked. Reid and Sutton look like geniuses and Toub looked bad. Go figure.
Fingers crossed for today. Special teams better not be a disaster this week as it was last week.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats Game

Offense B-
Defense B
Special Teams C-

Not enough to get you to the Super Bowl. Pats burn through zone defense with ease but even the man defense had issues with rubs and Gronk. Mahomes and the oline really blew it in the first half.

Hats off to the Patriots but Mahomes needs to be more consistent before he is ready to make the leap. Hopefully the Chiefs can maintain their momentum next year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rewatching some AFCCG highlights again and I think I'm downgrading the Chiefs defense to C. They had a couple of absolutely massive plays but you can't give up 13-19 on 3rd down and 524 yards and the Dee Ford error was the thing that ultimately cost the Chiefs the game.

Even when the Chiefs defense does a lot of things right, it still looks pretty mediocre. I don't know how you keep Bob Sutton at this point. When the announcer is talking about Brady not being worried about the KC crowd because the Chiefs defense isnt that complex then its an issue.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sutton is gone.

My last thought from this season: the Chiefs didn't lose any football games by more than one score. They had 8 games where they won by 9+ points. It was best season of football the Chiefs have played in my life.