• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

homebrewing parents

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how in thee hell do you find time to brew? in these past almost 4 months, i've found i barely have time to do a load of laundry, much less devote a day brewing. it hurts, i've had a keg sitting empty for 3 weeks now :pout:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We brewed a lot right before our wedding and immediately after, but then it wasn't until our youngest kid turned 3 that we were able to pick it up again. I feel your pain...just drink a lot of crafts until the tyke is mobile enough to help strain the mash!

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason I've kept with extract and specialty grains versus going AG. A lot easier finding a few hours rather than a whole day. Did my imperial IPA a couple Saturdays ago when the wife took the boy shopping for a few hours.

I'll transfer and bottle during his afternoon naps this weekend and a few weekends from now respectively.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm off monday, so i could brew while he's at daycare...but i tend to drink all day while i brew, dont think i could go pick him up...

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason I've kept with extract and specialty grains versus going AG. A lot easier finding a few hours rather than a whole day. Did my imperial IPA a couple Saturdays ago when the wife took the boy shopping for a few hours.

I'll transfer and bottle during his afternoon naps this weekend and a few weekends from now respectively.
this.

also, i just plan ahead and tell my wife, i want to brew and I'll watch the kids this day or these nights if you keep them out of my hair on Saturday.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, looks like its a good thing i havent found time to brew yet...going to be moving in about a month or so, wouldnt want to lug around a full keg. One empty and one is about 1/2....got some drinking to do!

will definitely find a brew day to christen the new home

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what your rig is set up for in (volume) 757, but I have resorted to doing larger batches and longer brew days (more batches). I have only brewed 2-3 times a year the last couple. A brew session earlier this year consisted of a 5 gallon extract batch, and two separate 8 gallon batches. I had all of the equipment cleaned up and ready to go, all ingredients set up and ready to roll. It made for a long busy day, but I had enough beer to last me awhile.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brew every weekend. 6:00 AM starts on Saturday. All grain. 60 minute boils. I'm done, clean, broken down and put away by noon. That's with drinking and bullshitting. If I brew by myself, I'm done at 11:00.

What's your rig like these days? I'm running pumps for recirc, sparge and KO. I've got three propane burners, two of which are 90,000 btu (kettle and mash tun; sparge is on a different setup because it needs to be taller for the pump to move, and it's running at 60,000 btu).

Of course, my current system is bigger than two kegs. Three faucet kegerator ran by a 7.5# CO2 can. 14.5 cubic foot, top open, digitally temp-controlled cellar that holds 6 kegs and a 20# CO2 can for carbing/cellaring.

To answer the original question, wife is awesome, netflix helps on Saturday, and kiddo is self-sufficient. I don't think I could do what I do without those items.