• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy Shit! Donald Sterling ruled mentally unfit, can't prevent Clippers sale

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling does not have the authority to stop a $2 billion sale of his team because he has been determined to be mentally unfit to make decisions related to the family trust, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports.

The Sterling Family Trust owns the team, with Donald and his wife Shelly each owning a 50% share. The trust spells out provisions and procedures related to the mental capacity of the trustees, and Donald Sterling did not meet the standard in a determination by experts, giving his wife sole decision-making power for the trust, the person said.

Donald Sterling ruled mentally unfit, can't prevent Clippers sale

Well this shit storm got more interesting. :crazy:

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is what happens to people who say some politically incorrect shit in the privacy of their own home that gets people's jimmies rustled.

God bless America. And no place else!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the guy is a racist and an idiot and all but he still has the right to his property. I guess that is changing as well since the Bundy Ranch incident and now this. The new commie America!!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*sigh*

The man cost his business MILLIONS of dollars, and was deemed mentally unfit to run it. WHY is this a "commie" action?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think $2 billion will make him mentally fit quickly.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think $2 billion will make him mentally fit quickly.

I'm envisioning his ex having him strapped to a wheelchair with some beastly old hag feeding him split pea soup through a straw.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else find it ironic that it ultimately wasn't the NBA's by-laws, but instead the rules established in his own family trust that appears to have forced this sale?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald will now find a few doctors that will tell everyone he is mentally capable

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else find it ironic that it ultimately wasn't the NBA's by-laws, but instead the rules established in his own family trust that appears to have forced this sale?

Here's what I don't understand.

If they're deeming him mentally unfit / going senile.....then how could they hold his words against him? How can an alleged crazy guy be held responsible for his words?

Plus...if he's not mentally fit which means his wife can make all decisions, then is she still being forced to sell the team or is she doing it voluntarily? She shouldn't have to sell if he's deemed semi-crazy due to old age.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald will now find a few doctors that will tell everyone he is mentally capable

For the money in that estate...he won't have to look far. The lawyers are no doubt already crawling out of the wood pile.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they're deeming him mentally unfit / going senile.....then how could they hold his words against him? How can an alleged crazy guy be held responsible for his words?

Plus...if he's not mentally fit which means his wife can make all decisions, then is she still being forced to sell the team or is she doing it voluntarily? She shouldn't have to sell if he's deemed semi-crazy due to old age.

Because when the PC Police get their panties in a bunch, all of your very logical questions and thought processes get thrown out the window.

All that other stuff doesn't matter.

What matters is ....

Someone was offended!!!!! And we just can't allow that to happen!!!!!!!!!

Call the Thought Police!!!!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Nothing about this is logical.

If he's senile, WHY CAN'T his words be used against him? That doesn't change the fact he said it, or that he cost his franchise all their sponsors, or that he pissed off his own workforce to the point of possible boycott.

His senility is completely irrelevant to the facts at hand.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I can see, the Sterling Family Trust has a provision that if one of the trustees is deemed to be mentally incapacitated (which he apparently was just recently) then they lose their portion of control. So ultimately, it would be his mental incapacitation and not his words that caused him to lose his controlling interest.

As for Shelly selling the team, that seems voluntary, but it may simply be acknowledging reality. While she now has control of the team, she was never voted in as an owner. The NBA's stance has been that no one with the last name Sterling can own the team. So, the chances of her getting voted in are pretty much zero.

She could certainly attempt to fight this in court, but it would probably be futile. The smarter play for her is to sell the team, especially since she's getting more than double the actual value of the team.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I can see, the Sterling Family Trust has a provision that if one of the trustees is deemed to be mentally incapacitated (which he apparently was just recently) then they lose their portion of control. So ultimately, it would be his mental incapacitation and not his words that caused him to lose his controlling interest.

As for Shelly selling the team, that seems voluntary, but it may simply be acknowledging reality. While she now has control of the team, she was never voted in as an owner. The NBA's stance has been that no one with the last name Sterling can own the team. So, the chances of her getting voted in are pretty much zero.

She could certainly attempt to fight this in court, but it would probably be futile. The smarter play for her is to sell the team, especially since she's getting more than double the actual value of the team.
Ok.......that clears things up for me.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious when he was deemed mentally unfit. If it happened before the release of the tape, then it is very suspicious. Shelly's master plan unfolding to perfection? Perfection meaning $2bil.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vultures-in-tree-2.jpg

Sterling should fire every player and employee working for the Clippers and shut the team down.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I find it more suspicious than ironic.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vultures-in-tree-2.jpg

Sterling should shut the team down.
FIFY

And boy did he ever do that, he did this long ago and for so many years here in Los Angeles. Poor Clippers fans, finally getting some reprieve. We'll see where it goes from here.