• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holland SAID:

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes 5 to 8 years to "totally" rebuild a franchise. Obviously, Las Vegas doesn't subscribe to Holland's theory of building a winner. So, what now Mr. Holland? A NEWER stadium?:L

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think vegas is a fair comparison. Nobody else gets to draft players from all the other teams.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes 5 to 8 years to "totally" rebuild a franchise. Obviously, Las Vegas doesn't subscribe to Holland's theory of building a winner. So, what now Mr. Holland? A NEWER stadium?:L

It's the reality of today's hard salary cap and internet age. The Wings do not have the luxury they did in the 90's of spending as much as they wanted on players and they don't have the overseas scouting advantages they had then either. Overseas teens are now globally scouted instantly through streaming video capabilities from the comfort of some living room recliner in Whereversberg.

Holland milked those past advantages until his past superstar hits retired from the NHL. And with the inability to outspend other teams now, he was forced to change strategy by enhanced reliance on retaining quality players and drafting. With the internet being a great equalizer in scouting, now the only way you can turn things around is with several years at the bottom of the league standings and some good fortune in the lottery & player development.

Holland's greatest failure wasn't in drafting - he didn't have the chance to grab high-end difference makers at the top of the draft because the team was always making the playoffs - it was in the long-term contracts to middling players he's been handcuffing the team with since the cap was established. And that handcuffing was all in the name of keeping the playoff streak alive.

I think he might have realized that he has made some mistakes with those contracts and he might be learning his lesson. The last couple of years - since the streak has been snapped - he has been smarter with dropping silly dollars on players who aren't difference makers. That said, I truly believe this offseason is make or break for him. Green is unrestricted and Larkin, Mantha and AA are all restricted free agents. If he hands out stupid money and term again on those four, he's gotta go. If he keeps the terms at 4 or less around league standard values for the production he has gotten out of them, he has my blessing to proceed.