• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: HokieHoops Week 1: vs Alabama St, vs Jville St

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11/14 Alabama St vs VT, 7pmEST online (ESPN3)

11/18 Jacksonville St vs VT, 7pmEST online (ESPN3)

Season kicks off this weekend and I can't wait even though I probably won't be able to see the game. Really looking forward to seeing what Buzz can do with an actual bench this year. We're still a little short on size but at least we shouldn't have to play guards as PFs. Overall, I think we finish the year .500 or just a tad over with something like 7 ACC wins, including a nice upset or two. An injury here or there could make us much worse but I'd say that's a reasonable goal

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how Buzz plays everyone. A lot of new faces this year.

Good to see we finally have post depth. No more playing our "6ft 7" (yeah right) walkon at center.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leday and Blackshear are both playing well. Nice to have good play from the post.

Buzz is subbing a lot of guys in and out.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I missed our first game... lost to Alabama State? At home?

I've been working/traveling a lot so haven't read much about how we're supposed to be this year. Is this a fluke or are we expecting a long season?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I missed our first game... lost to Alabama State? At home?

I've been working/traveling a lot so haven't read much about how we're supposed to be this year. Is this a fluke or are we expecting a long season?
We have a lot better talent this year but they are still learning to play together. We were threatening to blow the game open in the first half (10-11 point lead) but we struggled to play defense and boxing out. We had a big size advantage and barely won the rebounding battle.

We were also like 25-40 from the free throw line.

Looking like another long year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed the game. Disappointed at the loss but I'm not freaking out over it. It's not like we're suppose to be fighting for the Tournament this year anyway.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 pt win over Jville. Didn't get to see this game either but it looks like LeDay is going to be a significant factor. He followed up his solid first game with a 15 point, 9 rebound outing tonight

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 pt win over Jville. Didn't get to see this game either but it looks like LeDay is going to be a significant factor. He followed up his solid first game with a 15 point, 9 rebound outing tonight
Leday has an insanely high motor. He's jump gobbling up boards. He works hard establishing deep low post position and getting easy points that way. He has a good all around game that keeps defenders honest. Reminds me a bit of JT Thompson.

We really need to hit our FTs. 50% is absolutely atrocious. We're 321st in the nation in FT with 57.1%. I'm surprised there are teams below us. The good news is we're getting to the basket and getting a lot of FTs. The bad news is we're not making them.

I am really surprised Seth Allen hasn't made more of an impact.