• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

History Comp - Harmon Killebrew vs Willie McCovey

Killebrew or McCovey?

• Harmon Killebrew

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Willie McCovey

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think WAR is a dumb stat but I don't see how WAR7 and JAWS are any better. Peak is certainly important but so is the rest of the career and looking at the best 7 seasons seems awfully arbitrary.

As i stated i am not a WAR person either- I hate the whole Replacement player BS... Not to mention the positional values seem very arbitrary to me... But that was not the point of the post...

I was just bothered by people bringing up WAR in a Career debate...

I didnt say WAR7 was better than WAR in a career debate i said JAWS is better because it is a combination of both WAR7 and WAR... And i think peak statistics are just as important if not more important than someones whole career...

And why is looking at a players best years arbitrary??

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As i stated i am not a WAR person either- I hate the whole Replacement player BS... Not to mention the positional values seem very arbitrary to me... But that was not the point of the post...

I was just bothered by people bringing up WAR in a Career debate...

I didnt say WAR7 was better than WAR in a career debate i said JAWS is better because it is a combination of both WAR7 and WAR... And i think peak statistics are just as important if not more important than someones whole career...

And why is looking at a players best years arbitrary??

Looking at a players best years isn't arbitrary. Using the 7 best years is. I mean why not 5 or 9?

One player could have a better top 5 years, worse top 7 years, and better top 9 years then another player.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at a players best years isn't arbitrary. Using the 7 best years is. I mean why not 5 or 9?

One player could have a better top 5 years, worse top 7 years, and better top 9 years then another player.

with that logic everything is arbitrary... why is a baseball game 9 innings, why are there 3 outs per half inning, why is 3 strikes an out...

Choosing base numbers are just that base numbers, they help make things easy to follow and understand without sacrificing on accuracy...

Mathematics and finance use base numbers all the time... History does too, 10 years is a decade- dont you here things be compared by decades, centuries, and eras...

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with that logic everything is arbitrary... why is a baseball game 9 innings, why are there 3 outs per half inning, why is 3 strikes an out...

Choosing base numbers are just that base numbers, they help make things easy to follow and understand without sacrificing on accuracy...

Mathematics and finance use base numbers all the time... History does too, 10 years is a decade- dont you here things be compared by decades, centuries, and eras...

I don't know what any of that means.