• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hilarious Ultimatum

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allegedly, Terry Pegula has given Whaley and Ryan an ultimatum: make the playoffs next year or you're both fired.

This is likely not much of a threat to Whaley since I believe he will be on the last year of his contract. Not sure how you'd fire someone after it expires?

As for Ryan, he was given a 4-year deal so the "threat" makes a bit more sense. But...then again...not at all. If a HC needs this for motivation...just fire him now.

Weird how Pegula practically revels in the Sabres being the worst team in the NHL year after year and preaches eternal patience to the fans, but he's laying down deadlines for the Bills.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they were working on an extension with Whaley so that he wouldn't be a lame duck, but that ultimatum pretty much nixes that effect lol.

The Sabres are bottomed out, so they can rebuild around top 3 draft picks. Bills are in that middle zone that keeps them out of the running for the elite draft picks, plus NFL teams aren't immediately impacted as much by 1 stud rookie as the NHL (and NBA) teams can be. Besides, the Bills are MUCH closer.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they were working on an extension with Whaley so that he wouldn't be a lame duck, but that ultimatum pretty much nixes that effect lol.

The Sabres are bottomed out, so they can rebuild around top 3 draft picks. Bills are in that middle zone that keeps them out of the running for the elite draft picks, plus NFL teams aren't immediately impacted as much by 1 stud rookie as the NHL (and NBA) teams can be. Besides, the Bills are MUCH closer.

Good points. The Sabers also will need to give their draft picks more time. Most are around 18 and not as NHL ready as picks in football or basketball. The one kind of stud rookie that can change a hockey teams fortunes quickly is a goalie. The Rangers missed the playoffs 7 straight years, lucked out with Lundqvist (6th round pick) and have missed the playoffs once since he got to the NHL. For his first 5 years the team was still absolutely awful but he carried them.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. The Sabers also will need to give their draft picks more time. Most are around 18 and not as NHL ready as picks in football or basketball. The one kind of stud rookie that can change a hockey teams fortunes quickly is a goalie. The Rangers missed the playoffs 7 straight years, lucked out with Lundqvist (6th round pick) and have missed the playoffs once since he got to the NHL. For his first 5 years the team was still absolutely awful but he carried them.

This year excluded, the Sabres have actually have some fantastic goalie play since I can remember. They've just managed to be so awful around the poor goalies.

I won't listen to another request for "patience" with these pathetic organizations. They've been given enough time (Bills to make the playoffs, Sabres to just not be garbage) and have no right to ask fans for that at this point.

I hope they will be patient with me as I continue to refuse to put a penny toward their profits until given a reason.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year excluded, the Sabres have actually have some fantastic goalie play since I can remember. They've just managed to be so awful around the poor goalies.

I won't listen to another request for "patience" with these pathetic organizations. They've been given enough time (Bills to make the playoffs, Sabres to just not be garbage) and have no right to ask fans for that at this point.

I hope they will be patient with me as I continue to refuse to put a penny toward their profits until given a reason.
The Rangers really tested my patience during those 7 years of ineptitude. It was more like 12 because although they made the playoffs when they got Hank they were still the 7th or 8th seed every year. I don't blame you for putting your wallet away.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers really tested my patience during those 7 years of ineptitude. It was more like 12 because although they made the playoffs when they got Hank they were still the 7th or 8th seed every year. I don't blame you for putting your wallet away.

Man, imagine two decades of ineptitude where one year in that 20-year span as an 8th seed or wild card team you'd take in a heartbeat. As a Rangers fans...just know it could be A LOT worse.

I love all these Buffalo fans that are SO confident the draft is the answer (for Sabres or Bills). That makes the completely unfounded assumption these are organizations you can count on to intelligently pile up great talent every draft.

The only reason Sabres fans had reason to get excited last year was, at least as the logic went at the time, they had the #2 pick and pretty much everyone agreed there were two elite players going 1-2. So...there was almost no way they could screw it up.