• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL High school varsity BBQ teams

Would you have been a member of a BBQ team in high school?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Tater salad as a BBQ side

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eating it or cooking it?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing what I know now - fuck yeah.

When I was actually in high school? Not a chance. All my family ever bought for pulled pork was Whitts and it was usually on wedding reception nights and I hated it. Big Bob Gibsons right down the road and my fucking family picks up that Carolina bullshit.

I hated pulled pork for the majority of my life until my wife talked me into smoking one for her. Now I cook the shit constantly. I still haven't tried Big Bob Gibsons, but my wife says it tastes like mine so definitely trying it next time I'm back home.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got distracted at potato salad as a side.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a tradition of trying BBQ in every state I go to, and love to see the different styles (never tried the white sauce in Bama though). I do think Texas is a lesser BBQ compared to other Southern states. Leave the beef for steak. It's all about pulled pork.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I was actually in high school? Not a chance. All my family ever bought for pulled pork was Whitts and it was usually on wedding reception nights and I hated it. Big Bob Gibsons right down the road and my fucking family picks up that Carolina bullshit.

I hated pulled pork for the majority of my life until my wife talked me into smoking one for her. Now I cook the shit constantly. I still haven't tried Big Bob Gibsons, but my wife says it tastes like mine so definitely trying it next time I'm back home.
Your average weekend enthusiast didn't really have a great chance back then if they wanted to get into smoking unless they knew someone. I had some friends that did it, but they worked for a local meat market and they had all the necessary stuff to do it. We did a lot of hog roasts and whole chickens, but now that normal dudes can buy personal smokers easily, I think you'll see more kids getting into it because you can do basically anything.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(never tried the white sauce in Bama though)

It's fucking nasty IMO. You can buy some online directly from Big Bob Gibson's, or find a recipe online.

It's basically mayo, lemon juice, horse radish, vinegar and sugar.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your average weekend enthusiast didn't really have a great chance back then if they wanted to get into smoking unless they knew someone. I had some friends that did it, but they worked for a local meat market and they had all the necessary stuff to do it. We did a lot of hog roasts and whole chickens, but now that normal dudes can buy personal smokers easily, I think you'll see more kids getting into it because you can do basically anything.

Yeah if not for YouTube and researching a ton I wouldn't be able to do it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back in the day, I don't recall as much of it going on as we have now. The kids that grew up on the cattle ranches in the wide open spaces knew how to cook on open fires and smoke meat to a certain extent. Like this chuck wagon cook gone fancy dancy.
617RlX8ztIL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But they could usually just slaughter one of the herd and have meat.

Eating BBQ was more of a treat back then...like eating steak. It was too expensive to have it very often.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the day, I don't recall as much of it going on as we have now. The kids that grew up on the cattle ranches in the wide open spaces knew how to cook on open fires and smoke meat to a certain extent. Like this chuck wagon cook gone fancy dancy.
617RlX8ztIL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But they could usually just slaughter one of the herd and have meat.

Eating BBQ was more of a treat back then...like eating steak. It was too expensive to have it very often.

I've only ever done pork and it's real cheap. $1.49 a lb usually, $2.49 not on sale(which I never buy) and then sometimes even $.99 a lb on a good sale.

I'd like to do a Brisket one day, but it's so damn expensive for all that beef, not to mention all the wood for that extra long cook. And now it's just me and the wife so it's just way too much meat.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to do a Brisket one day, but it's so damn expensive for all that beef, not to mention all the wood for that extra long cook. And now it's just me and the wife so it's just way too much meat.
Yep, even on sale, brisket is higher than a kite.

I guess I'm a tightwad but here's what pisses me off around here. We have an abundance of oil and cattle. And our beef and gasoline prices are as high or higher than other places.

I can understand seafood being expensive...we're 500 miles from the gulf. But, I can see cattle ranches with hundreds of head of cattle on my way to Lubbock or Abilene for gawd's sake.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, even on sale, brisket is higher than a kite.

I guess I'm a tightwad but here's what pisses me off around here. We have an abundance of oil and cattle. And our beef and gasoline prices are as high or higher than other places.

I can understand seafood being expensive...we're 500 miles from the gulf. But,I can see cattle ranches with hundreds of head of cattle on my way to Lubbock or Abilene for gawd's sake.

Must be a high export demand that has started since smoking has become a big thing over the years. When I lived in Kansas all that shit was real cheap compared to everywhere else. I always figured it was due to all the farms/ranches within a days drive.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only ever done pork and it's real cheap. $1.49 a lb usually, $2.49 not on sale(which I never buy) and then sometimes even $.99 a lb on a good sale.

You don't have to buy the whole brisket packer. If you can find a decent butcher that sells both the flat and point as separate meats check out getting a good point cut. You can get them 4-5 lbs, they are far easier to handle, can still take up to 8 hours depending on your rig, but you can make incredible brisket burnt ends without having to cook 12lbs of meat or having to do all of the prep with the fat cap. Just avoid buying the brisket flat unless it's prime or better as they are meant for pot roasts or other prep in liquid as they do not have nearly enough fat to render out in a smoker.

Trust me, it's worth looking for a good point cut and learning how to cook it. Take half and finish it off as burnt ends and you will be in heaven.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fucking nasty IMO. You can buy some online directly from Big Bob Gibson's, or find a recipe online.

It's basically mayo, lemon juice, horse radish, vinegar and sugar.

That's too bad. Two of my good friends are from Birmingham, and they swear it's the best on smoked chicken. That would really be good, because we have a good sauce for every other kind of BBQ. Pulled pork has mustard sauce, tomato based sauce, and vinegar (in that order). Ribs have a nice dry rub or Kansas City sweet sauce. If you have to eat brisket, Texas mop sauce is probably the best. But there is no ideal chicken sauce that I've tried.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's too bad. Two of my good friends are from Birmingham, and they swear it's the best on smoked chicken. That would really be good, because we have a good sauce for every other kind of BBQ. Pulled pork has mustard sauce, tomato based sauce, and vinegar (in that order). Ribs have a nice dry rub or Kansas City sweet sauce. If you have to eat brisket, Texas mop sauce is probably the best. But there is no ideal chicken sauce that I've tried.

My wife loves it and puts it on her chicken. But she makes her own version of it, doesn't put the horse raddish in it. She grew up on BBG unlike me.

I do not like any of the sauces and just like the smoked meat by itself. Throw some good rub on it, smoke and yummmmmmmmm.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pork is a canvas.

Chicken cooks faster, dries out easier, and has better flavor on the skin without the need for sauces IMO. I'm not even fond of injecting chicken and seldom inject even turkey. Good rub, low and slow, good wood. Can't go wrong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pork is a canvas.

Chicken cooks faster, dries out easier, and has better flavor on the skin without the need for sauces IMO. I'm not even fond of injecting chicken and seldom inject even turkey. Good rub, low and slow, good wood. Can't go wrong.

I just grill my chicken. Otherwise wife fries or bakes it.

But I mostly just eat skinless boneless thighs/leg meat. Fuck bones.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, but only if its Lexington or Eastern style

not a huge fan of the mustard based BBQ

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to buy the whole brisket packer. If you can find a decent butcher that sells both the flat and point as separate meats check out getting a good point cut. You can get them 4-5 lbs, they are far easier to handle, can still take up to 8 hours depending on your rig, but you can make incredible brisket burnt ends without having to cook 12lbs of meat or having to do all of the prep with the fat cap. Just avoid buying the brisket flat unless it's prime or better as they are meant for pot roasts or other prep in liquid as they do not have nearly enough fat to render out in a smoker.

Trust me, it's worth looking for a good point cut and learning how to cook it. Take half and finish it off as burnt ends and you will be in heaven.
The suckers around here have started charging nearly as much for good points as frickin' tenderloin. Buttholes.

But, you are right. Burnt ends are by far the best part of brisket.