• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey BK This is a must read

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. It is a great read.

The wife just says, "You take care of 'em". I grin and say, "They might take care of you."

Rattlers always warn unless you step on them. Not familiar with the cottonmouth, copperhead or canebreak. Corals are more likely to take off unless you upset them. Too fast to move away if you get too close. Guess I'll have to buy me a couple of falcons.

Thanks RB.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The wife just says, "You take care of 'em". I grin and say, "They might take care of you."

Rattlers always warn unless you step on them. Not familiar with the cottonmouth, copperhead or canebreak. Corals are more likely to take off unless you upset them. Too fast to move away if you get too close. Guess I'll have to buy me a couple of falcons.

Thanks RB.
I read an article last year rattlers are developing the tendency not to rattle, they think it's a nurture thing over time but for the most part you are correct. With the Corals just remember Red on Yellow kill a fellow Red on Black friend of Jack, that's how you tell the bad from the good or not bad. Cotton Mouth's are mean motherF^#(!#& and will chase you usually water will be near by and they hide under shit too.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks RB.
Rattlesnakes do not always rattle. Sometimes they won't even slither away. Sometimes they'll go for the hole.
If you happen to be standing on their hole, they'll come right at you.

Copperheads like to hide very well. You can be doing yard work in front of your house and reach down to pick something up and!!!!!!

Coral snakes are small with low strike distance. Their fangs are positioned in away that it is difficult for them to "bite" a llarge body part.

You'll learn not to pick up anything it until you have disturbed the item with a rake or something. Don't ever reach under a tarp to pull it off for example.

Alligators are another story. Keep your eyes on the lagoon.
Don't tie your old lady's foo-foo leash to a tree. Looks a lot like bait!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll learn not to pick up anything it until you have disturbed the item with a rake or something. Don't ever reach under a tarp to pull it off for example.
That goes for Black Widows and Brown Recluse spiders as well.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me and bugs have an understanding. They don't bite me and I don't eat them. Doesn't bother me, they have no taste or after taste and are crunchy.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fathers mother was related nto the Maine Penobscot indians in Old Town and my dad would take me up there when I was young. There was an old man who used to take me for walks and explain how nature works and how the wasps would tell everyone how deep the accumulated snow would be in the winter and other stuff. He also used to laugh and said that the animals and insects knew why people were so afraid of spiders and snakes.

"Spiders have too many legs and snakes don't have enough." I can still see that old man throwing his head back and laughing out loud after he'd tell me that.

"The secret to living a long life is eating everything that God provides but never eating more than you need. Never eat what you want. Eat only what you need. Be like the wolf. Always be a little hungry."

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fathers mother was related nto the Maine Penobscot indians in Old Town and my dad would take me up there when I was young. There was an old man who used to take me for walks and explain how nature works and how the wasps would tell everyone how deep the accumulated snow would be in the winter and other stuff. He also used to laugh and said that the animals and insects knew why people were so afraid of spiders and snakes.

"Spiders have too many legs and snakes don't have enough." I can still see that old man throwing his head back and laughing out loud after he'd tell me that.

"The secret to living a long life is eating everything that God provides but never eating more than you need. Never eat what you want. Eat only what you need. Be like the wolf. Always be a little hungry."
Great story

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
me and bugs have an understanding. They don't bite me and I don't eat them. Doesn't bother me, they have no taste or after taste and are crunchy.
I used to fish on the Yolo bypass, north of Sacramento.
When the river got too high, they flooded the bypass with 2-4 ft of water so Sacramento would not flood downstream.
I used to fish for catfish that would get in there under the moonlight. Big ole' crafty veterans.

One year I visited the freshly flooded bypass during the daylight.. I looked out over the flooded terrain and you could see the tips of grass plants barely sticking out of the water. On every blade of grass there was at least one black widow clinging for life. Millions of them! f you had waded out there in the dark, you would have found they would gladly climb up your legs to a higher place!
I always thought those were mosquitos I felt in the dark!

When the occasional flash flood hits the Mojave in CA, All the rattlesnakes have to swim out of their lair. Quite the site to see!
You might not like seeing 1 rattlesnake but the sight of 100,000 of them is quite spectacular!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to fish on the Yolo bypass, north of Sacramento.
When the river got too high, they flooded the bypass with 2-4 ft of water so Sacramento would not flood downstream.
I used to fish for catfish that would get in there under the moonlight. Big ole' crafty veterans.

One year I visited the freshly flooded bypass during the daylight.. I looked out over the flooded terrain and you could see the tips of grass plants barely sticking out of the water. On every blade of grass there was at least one black widow clinging for life. Millions of them! f you had waded out there in the dark, you would have found they would gladly climb up your legs to a higher place!
I always thought those were mosquitos I felt in the dark!

When the occasional flash flood hits the Mojave in CA, All the rattlesnakes have to swim out of their lair. Quite the site to see!
You might not like seeing 1 rattlesnake but the sight of 100,000 of them is quite spectacular!
I have seen the flash flood in the Mojave it's an odd sight period.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks RB.

I stepped on a baby rattle snake a few months ago and almost shit myself. Me and my kid were hiking and we were on a steep part of the hike descending back down the mountain. The snake didn't do shit but it "rattled" me for certain. My kid still talks about it every time we hike together.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stepped on a baby rattle snake a few months ago and almost shit myself. Me and my kid were hiking and we were on a steep part of the hike descending back down the mountain. The snake didn't do shit but it "rattled" me for certain. My kid still talks about it every time we hike together.
Yeah well no shame in that. I mentioned this before and feel free to use it, when my kid starts razzing me I tell him " Dude I had to teach you how to use a spoon"!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hiking in a back area of Zion National Park when I cam across a sign reading "Please Don't Feed the Rattle Snakes". My first take was "is that advice really necessary"? Best comment regarding that sign "aw, does that mean we can't pet them too?"...

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen the flash flood in the Mojave it's an odd sight period.

Me and my wife rode through one on my motorcycle riding back from Las Vegas. One of the craziest experiences of my life. Happened 10 years ago and we still talk about it all the time.