• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hester

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of you think Hester will go to the HoF? Or is this just a ridiculous notion?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absurdity.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah... he would have had to play at the rate that he did in 05, 06, 10, and 11 throughout his entire career.

When everybody was arguing about it during the above seasons, I always said that he would have to literally OBLITERATE every return record. As in, double the TD record, and put every historically great returner to shame. He may have been able to do that if we didn't try to turn him into a WR, but truly... I don't blame JA or Lovie for that. You had to try to do it.

Ignoring his ability and never trying to use him on offense would be a FAR bigger crime than trying too hard to make it work for him as a WR.

As for "obliterating" every return record. It seems a bit late now. He'll be 30 soon. He'll likely be gone after this season, and do what every other great kick returner does... bounce around until people look up as he drops back to return a punt and go; "holy shit... Devin Hester is still around? Remember him in Chicago?"

Remember Brian Mitchell with the Giants? Or Dante Hall with the Rams? Yeah, I don't really either.

He'll be another one of those guys. He'll be remembered, but by the time he retires, no one will even put him and the hall of fame in the same sentence.

He's the best ever, and I don't really think it's that close. However, being the best return man simply doesn't get you in the hall of fame.

I'm sorry, but if Ray Guy can't get in... than Venateri and Hester don't belong either.

BTW, this is all coming from a guy who thinks Hester still has some left in the tank. I don't think we've seen the last of his brilliance. I think he gets himself another two or three return TD's this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Rich. I have been thinking about this a lot lately... There is actually a discussion on the general board about it, and in an alcohol-induced rant I blurted how Hester would make the HoF.

Sobriety is a bad way to realize a fool's thoughts, but at the time it sure sounded right. :doh:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HOF needs a STs category. I hope Hester gets about 6+ more and the HOF is forced to add Hester.

Sobriety is a bad way to realize a fool's thoughts, but at the time it sure sounded right.) It sounded right because it makes sense.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't. Hester in the hall makes being inducted meaningless.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HOF needs a STs category. I hope Hester gets about 6+ more and the HOF is forced to add Hester.

Sobriety is a bad way to realize a fool's thoughts, but at the time it sure sounded right.) It sounded right because it makes sense.

If the HOF wants to add a "SPT's honorarium section", I'm fine with that. It actually doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

Although, I don't think it should have a big ceremony, and I don't think the players names should be included with the other HOF'ers.

SPT's guys are just on the field too little to be considered for the Hall of Fame. A kicker relies on his offense to succeed to be effective, a punter relies on his offense to fail to be relevant, and a return man only touches the ball a few times per game.

Even in an AMAZING season for a returner, what does he score? Four or five TD's? That's a great season for a return man, but it's just a minimal impact on a season.

You may win a game because of a return man, but he'll never carry you to the playoffs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Rich. I have been thinking about this a lot lately... There is actually a discussion on the general board about it, and in an alcohol-induced rant I blurted how Hester would make the HoF.

Sobriety is a bad way to realize a fool's thoughts, but at the time it sure sounded right. :doh:

Don't worry, I've been there... trust me, lol.

I've gone back and forth with it, but looking at it from a neutral perspective I can't logically put together the argument.

Maybe you or someone else can come up with it and prove me wrong.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years ago maybe. I think he's the best to ever return kicks, but after lovie tried to turn him into a wr, and limited his returns, it didnt help him. Now the kicking game is not what it once was with moving the kick off spot, and everone kicking out of bounds on punts, he just wont be able to leave a real lasting mark here toward the end. I wish he would have been able to play corner too, then he may have been a dion type player, but i dont think he gets in just for returns.

C

cubzzzfanincali

if he somehow has a great 2013, I think at that point his odds go over 50-50. If he retired today I'd say probably not...maybe like 20% chance of getting in. But if he could somehow put 3 or 4 more TDs in the books, yeah, I think he'd have a pretty good chance.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will get in just because he is the best at what he does at that position, maybe not first ballott or anything but someone who is voting knows what he did and how great he did it. he changed alot of games especially the way they would be trying to kick it away from him. it made it tough. not to mention he also had multiple games with more than one return for a TD. We never would have won in AZ in 2006 without him and Dennis Green wouldn't still be doing commercials because of the after game sound Bites. "They are who we thought they were and we let em off the HOOK"!! and i will never forget the game in Denver when he ran a punt and a kick off back and the punter and kicker were both the same person Todd Sauerbrun . he set multiple NFL records too. so he does have as much of a chance as anyone else on this current team.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree w/ Rich, mostly. But I think the best STs deserve some recognition. I think Ray Guy is deserving of the hall . I think if Devin adds let's say 5 more TDs, to his record (before he retires ). It would be a very hard record to break. And isn't the hall mostly about record setters?

As a fan of the game , and this is JMO, I want to see the best of the best get inducted. I don't care if they played STs or was an assistant coach. Unfortunately voters don't see it that way.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will get in just because he is the best at what he does at that position, maybe not first ballott or anything but someone who is voting knows what he did and how great he did it. he changed alot of games especially the way they would be trying to kick it away from him. it made it tough. not to mention he also had multiple games with more than one return for a TD. We never would have won in AZ in 2006 without him and Dennis Green wouldn't still be doing commercials because of the after game sound Bites. "They are who we thought they were and we let em off the HOOK"!! and i will never forget the game in Denver when he ran a punt and a kick off back and the punter and kicker were both the same person Todd Sauerbrun . he set multiple NFL records too. so he does have as much of a chance as anyone else on this current team.

Ray Guy is the greatest to ever play his position as well. Special team's guys just don't get in.

He definitely doesn't have a better chance than Briggs.

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if hester would of been able to get 6000 recieving yds retiring as the bears all time leader i think thatwould of helped his failure as a wr done him in.
but ilke to mention deven hester did foce teams to play a man over the top to otect the vertical pass plays down field. but just the threat without rec or rec yds and rec tds it just dont do enough.
a for his returning abilty he is the greatest game changer ever he for years has forced teams to give thebears great field postion just kicking away from him. when and if he leaves he really will be missed.
Go Bears
hester will be i the bears fans hall of fame for ever.

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuCMb9FYyDA]Devin Hester All 19 returns through 11-14-2011 - YouTube[/ame]

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if hester would of been able to get 6000 recieving yds retiring as the bears all time leader i think thatwould of helped his failure as a wr done him in.
but ilke to mention deven hester did foce teams to play a man over the top to otect the vertical pass plays down field. but just the threat without rec or rec yds and rec tds it just dont do enough.
a for his returning abilty he is the greatest game changer ever he for years has forced teams to give thebears great field postion just kicking away from him. when and if he leaves he really will be missed.
Go Bears
hester will be i the bears fans hall of fame for ever.

You're overdoing the "drunkard" persona a bit.

Purple Pimple

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester is very good - for a returner. No HOF tho. He's not really that special outside a few homer fans of the team.

running bear828

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah PP that's why teams kick away from him and Bears get good field position. Using your logic Peterson is just above average huh?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester is very good - for a returner. No HOF tho. He's not really that special outside a few homer fans of the team.

Ignore this guy. He's been trolling Bears boards for years. He was a troll on the ESPN boards when I arrived a WHILE back.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First they took away the wedge, now they take away run backs.

9 kickoffs in the game last week, one return.

The league is as much at fault of killing hester. Eric Weems would be averaging the same back there, maybe more because they might punt the ball to him.