• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here you go Cincy78, your pick is in..

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If that is the case, Sewell is the guy - and you grab WR/OL in round 2 and 3, and BPA (well, BPA in those rounds too, but the focus would be on OL/WR, IMO).

The Bengals are really going to have a lot of options at that 5 spot if they play F/A the right way. If they can score an OT and an OG - and Sewell falls to them, they hit the jackpot with the OL and creating good young depth. If Sewell isn't there, then they still end up with a decent OL and Pitts to add to the offensive weapons.

F/A is going to be critical for this team and the draft.

I don't take McShays mock as gospel but to have 4 QBs going top 4 means there's a lot of buzz on those players. The Bengals might even be in position to trade down for extra pick if one is still on the board.

The Bengals already have Boyd and Higgins so I'd only consider a WR at 5 if there's a Julio/AJ level prospect on the board. There should be WR help in the next rds.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the hype for QBs almost always increases the closer you get to the draft. QBs that have no business being drafted in the first round get drafted in the first round.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case, Sewell is the guy - and you grab WR/OL in round 2 and 3, and BPA (well, BPA in those rounds too, but the focus would be on OL/WR, IMO).

The Bengals are really going to have a lot of options at that 5 spot if they play F/A the right way. If they can score an OT and an OG - and Sewell falls to them, they hit the jackpot with the OL and creating good young depth. If Sewell isn't there, then they still end up with a decent OL and Pitts to add to the offensive weapons.

F/A is going to be critical for this team and the draft.
I am actually thinking Pitts regardless of Sewell being there. He makes the most sense as long as the Bengals work on the oline in FA. If they do absolutely nothing in FA, then yeah, I guess Sewell has to be the guy since he can play both LT and RT.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually thinking Pitts regardless of Sewell being there. He makes the most sense as long as the Bengals work on the oline in FA. If they do absolutely nothing in FA, then yeah, I guess Sewell has to be the guy since he can play both LT and RT.
I dunno...I mean, you know how much I like Pitts, but if Sewell is there....we've seen the importance of a good/great OL and having 2 young guys at the tackle spots would set this team up for the next 3-4 years, and potentially beyond. Even if they do sign a OT in F/A - you could still slide someone inside at guard, potentially for a year or two, and then unload a contract. Depth is important - we saw just how important in the SB.

But, yeah, if they grab a top tier OT in F/A - and it comes down to Sewell or Pitts...you could always trade a spot or two back (if there is a willing partner) and go from there...but I think you lean Pitts in that scenario - grab an OT/OG in 2 or 3.

I'm really high on James Hudson out of UC in that early 3rd slot - maybe even late 2nd. He's a guy that would be an ideal backup for 2 years, and learn the position, and has potential to slide inside at OG. He's really good, his feet and lateral movement is borderline elite, IMO - and even with a less than ideal arm length, I think he has a good enough anchor and movement to help re-direct edge rushers (as he did all Senior Bowl long). He's also a guy that is just scratching the surface of just how good he can be. I think he's got room to add 10-15lbs and keep his athleticism. I mean, the Georgia DE is supposed to be one of the best in the draft, and he shut him down all game long in the Peach Bowl in their matchup. Hudson was clearly better.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't take McShays mock as gospel but to have 4 QBs going top 4 means there's a lot of buzz on those players. The Bengals might even be in position to trade down for extra pick if one is still on the board.

The Bengals already have Boyd and Higgins so I'd only consider a WR at 5 if there's a Julio/AJ level prospect on the board. There should be WR help in the next rds.
I'm not sold on either WR at 5 as both, to me, project to be very good, but not elite level WR's. As you said, with Boyd and Higgins already in the fold - and Tate doesn't make a bad #3/4 guy - you land Pitts, and then you can still find a very good #3/4 WR in rounds 2-4 if there aren't any OL/DL available or if the WR is just that much high on the grade list.

With clear options at #1 and #2 at WR - I don't think it makes a ton of sense to go WR when the upgrade at TE would be a massive one compared to the upgrade at WR and the drop-off in talent at WR is considerably less than TE in the draft as well.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on either WR at 5 as both, to me, project to be very good, but not elite level WR's. As you said, with Boyd and Higgins already in the fold - and Tate doesn't make a bad #3/4 guy - you land Pitts, and then you can still find a very good #3/4 WR in rounds 2-4 if there aren't any OL/DL available or if the WR is just that much high on the grade list.

With clear options at #1 and #2 at WR - I don't think it makes a ton of sense to go WR when the upgrade at TE would be a massive one compared to the upgrade at WR and the drop-off in talent at WR is considerably less than TE in the draft as well.
I think both WR's rate out as elite, but you have 5 elite prospects in the draft...Lawrence, Sewell, Chase, Smith and Pitts. What gives us the most benefit immediately on the field. Lawrence is a non-factor he is going #1 and we have Burrow. The rest, all can be utilized immediately. If we can do anything in FA, just at least one tackle that is good, then I think you can afford to take one of the receiving threats, and Pitts does make the most sense. All the elite TE's seem to make the biggest difference in an offense. WR's can be covered by elite DB's and double over under coverage. There is almost no way to defend against elite TE's. Elite TE's are too fast for LB's, too big for CB's and most of the time too big for S's. They can also be used to help block on pass rushing situations, so you are basically adding to your offensive line.

Sewell hasn't played in a year, who is to say he is that same guy? I have seen guys have elite type sophomore seasons and then not be all t hat great their junior year and then have to come back for senior season because they fell off. Of t he guys that played this year at elite level is Smith and Pitts, and Smith is just too thin for my liking. Doesn't put forth a strong front of being durable especially in the NFL. He also wasn't even the fastest WR on his team, that was Waddle. I think Pitts is the guy.

Nab at least one really good tackle in FA, and draft in rounds 2 to 3 OG/C type guys.

#1 - Pitts TE
#2 - Leatherwood OT
#3 - Hudson OG

FA - Taylor Moton, T, and Lavonte David, LB.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Super Bowl was a nice reminder of the importance of an offensive line and offensive line depth. Kansas City has (arguably) the guy that is currently the best QB in the league. They also have the guy that is (arguably) the best tight end in the league. And they have the guy that is the fastest receiver in the league. But none of this mattered in a game where Tampa was consistently able to get pressure with four rushers.

As excited as I want to get about Pitts and some of our talent at skill positions, none of it will matter if we can't clean up the offensive line.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for McShay and the four QBs..... I think this is just another part of this trend where teams are eager to get a top QB on a rookie contract. Even if the guy busts, you didn't invest much money and you can run it back in another draft. On the other hand, if you get a superstar, you now have a window of time where you can mix and match big money contracts on a team that is investing small amounts of money at the QB position.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Super Bowl was a nice reminder of the importance of an offensive line and offensive line depth. Kansas City has (arguably) the guy that is currently the best QB in the league. They also have the guy that is (arguably) the best tight end in the league. And they have the guy that is the fastest receiver in the league. But none of this mattered in a game where Tampa was consistently able to get pressure with four rushers.

As excited as I want to get about Pitts and some of our talent at skill positions, none of it will matter if we can't clean up the offensive line.

I get your point, about the superbowl shining a light on emphasizing the OL , but the Chiefs already had a good line, they just had two injuries at the wrong time. That would ruin pretty much every team. No team is 4 tackles deep.

They say this is a pretty good draft for tackles/linemen. I guess for me it comes down to Pitts at 5 and OL (Leatherwood/Davis?) at 37, or Sewell (or the Northwestern guy) at 5 and who knows at 37.

What's better, Getting a potential dominant TE and pretty good tackle/guard, or potential dominant tackle, and someone else at 37?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the frustrating thing about the Bengals is that whatever they do in free agency, you know it's not going to impact the team that much.

we've graduated more quality free agents out of this town than we've brought in.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point, about the superbowl shining a light on emphasizing the OL , but the Chiefs already had a good line, they just had two injuries at the wrong time. That would ruin pretty much every team. No team is 4 tackles deep.

They say this is a pretty good draft for tackles/linemen. I guess for me it comes down to Pitts at 5 and OL (Leatherwood/Davis?) at 37, or Sewell (or the Northwestern guy) at 5 and who knows at 37.

What's better, Getting a potential dominant TE and pretty good tackle/guard, or potential dominant tackle, and someone else at 37?

I get they had injuries.... And that is kid of my point. I think it just shows you that when you have replacement level players playing key positions, your offense is going to be limited - No matter who you have at the skill positions. And right now, we don't have guys that are really any better than those Chiefs back-ups.

I'm open to taking the dominant tight end. I'd even be more open to it if we spent big in FA to clean up the line. Getting two starters in FA would open the team up a lot of directions with that first pick. I don't want to walk into the draft hoping and praying Sewel is there because you didn't do anything else.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get they had injuries.... And that is kid of my point. I think it just shows you that when you have replacement level players playing key positions, your offense is going to be limited - No matter who you have at the skill positions. And right now, we don't have guys that are really any better than those Chiefs back-ups.

I'm open to taking the dominant tight end. I'd even be more open to it if we spent big in FA to clean up the line. Getting two starters in FA would open the team up a lot of directions with that first pick. I don't want to walk into the draft hoping and praying Sewel is there because you didn't do anything else.
This is exactly where I've been at.

If they can land at least 1 top tier OT/OG then they give themselves some options. If they can land 2 OL - then the world is at their fingertips in the draft. You can land Pitts, have Boyd, Higgins, Pitts with a suddenly solid OL and Mixon in the run game....I mean...with Burrow back there, that's an immediate playoff caliber offense.

Defensively, they need another DT/DE and probably a CB/S. I did like the play of the LB's last year. Taking one more wouldn't be bad, but I'd be ok with re-signing the guy they got last year from B-more as I thought he did a great job of leading the younger guys - and I was impressed with the young LB play. I'd like to see them get a lot more time - and behind an upgraded DT/DL with a healthy Reader, Lawson, and Hubbard - they could have a lot more room to roam and make plays. The big thing that jumped out at me was they weren't un-athletic - as the Bengals had been for years. These guys can move around and make some plays.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the talent pool for quality OL has just gotten so thin; however, there are plenty of other teams that seem to be able to figure it out.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one person who's opinion I would want to know if I was making the pick. our best player, Joe Burrow.

if Joe wants a mismatch target, that's what he gets, if he wants a big ol OT, that's what he gets.

if it were me.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QBs are almost definitely going top 3
Yep, I was just going to post something here about that. However, it is not guaranteed that the Jets take a QB at #2. They could take Sewell or Chase with that pick, leaving Wilson for the 49ers. However, I think it is highly likely that 3 QB's go in the 1st 3. That only gives the Bengals even more options with Sewell, Chase or Pitts.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep, I was just going to post something here about that. However, it is not guaranteed that the Jets take a QB at #2. They could take Sewell or Chase with that pick, leaving Wilson for the 49ers. However, I think it is highly likely that 3 QB's go in the 1st 3. That only gives the Bengals even more options with Sewell, Chase or Pitts.

I just can't imagine the Jets passing up that offer the Dolphins took unless they were deadset on a QB. Also if the Niners took that pick hoping to get Wilson at 3 with the Jests picking a player at another position someone can leapfrog them with a strong enough offer. It strongly suggests QBs 1, 2 and 3 to me but we'll see