• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Henrique/Larsson Our Two Most Interesting Potential Rookies

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I was drafting this a few days ago, but Uncle Lou beat me to the punch.

With Zajac's injury, I figured that Adam Henrique, our highest rated non-NHL center, was going to be the most crucial player to watch going into camp.

However, Lou's quotes indicate that Henqiue is pretty much a shoe-in. Right now we have only 2 actual centers penciled into the lineup: JJ, Steckel. Let's assume that Elias is forced to switch to center because of Zajac's injury. That still leaves us short a 3rd/4th line center. We have 6 "offensive" wingers read to play this season (Kovalchuk, Parise, Zubrus, Tedenby, Clarkson, Palmieri) This would indicate that the Devils are going to need another "offensive" center for the third line. Steckel isn't exactly offensive (per his time last year) So Henrique might have a really legit shot to crack one of the top 3 center spots.

In fact Lou even went as far as calling Henrique our "best prospect" last years camp going in, but for some reason he didn't perform well. Lou assumed it was back to back memorial cup runs + scoring a goal per game in the second one and being MVP.

Henrique also scored 25 goals for Albany, something that a legit prospect hasn't done down there for a long time. Parise only scored 18. AND Henrique got off to a horrendous start in the AHL last season. He would easily have scored 30 if it weren't for his exhaustion.

Furthermore, he's supposed to be good in all ends, so slotting him in between Clarkson and and Zubrus seems like a great fit.

=====

Larsson

I honestly think that he's going to have to lose this spot just based on his stature. TG points out that 4 spots are guaranteed to regulars.

Mark Fayne also deserves one of those IMO because if you watched last seasons second half, he was totally off the charts great. In fact, he was probably even better than Tallinder who was ridiculously good.

Where that leaves us is the following debacle.. If Larsson doesn't seem like he's going to be higher than a 5/6 should he be in NJ? Realistically, I think the answer is no. He's probably better off playing in the AHL or SEL to start the year where we know he's going to play enormous minutes versus 10 as a 5/6. A kid with potential needs to be playing to develop, we'll see what happens. After all, Parise didn't need the extra playing time in his rookie season.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, I'll insert Larsson in the lineup and monitor his minutes until he gets a solid feel for the game.

But truth be told, Tallinder, Fayne, Vols & Greene were solid... Then have Salvador to come back soon..... throw in Larsson and that's 3 lines already. Keep Larsson up here and see what he can do....

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We wouldn't have signed Larsson this year if the plan wasn't for him to get some Nhl action.
The Sel is widely considered better than the Ahl. He's here and he's going to get a longer harder look than others

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that's going to be our 6, which is good b/c there will most likely be injuries so it's nice to have some competition and talent for that 6th/7th spot.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We wouldn't have signed Larsson this year if the plan wasn't for him to get some Nhl action.
The Sel is widely considered better than the Ahl. He's here and he's going to get a longer harder look than others

Just because we signed him doesn't mean his ELC will kick in though.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a defensive player, IMO, I don't think the adjustment/assignments would be as hard to translate vs an offensive player....

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a defensive player, IMO, I don't think the adjustment/assignments would be as hard to translate vs an offensive player....

Defense is harder in the NHL. Most defenseman take longer to develop. You have to know your assignment, know when to switch, read your man, stay in position but also cut off passing lanes, etc. Forward, depending on your role, you pretty much just have to get the puck to the net or the guy who is going to get it to the net. If you screw up as a forward, there are likely three guys behind you who can cover for you. Screw up as a defender, there's likely only two, or even one (breakaway!!!).

Offensive folks can get by with talent and athleticism. Defenders have to read the play. I'd argue defense is harder to play in most sports, because not only do you need to be as athletic as your opponent, but you need to react to what he or she is doing, which surrenders the initiative. The only exceptions I can think of:

NBA - It's a trick nobody plays defense in the NBA.

Football - Pass rushing defensive ends and anyone blitzing have an easier time because they are able to take initiative, while the oline has to react.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not too much about these two besides the status quo answers you'd expect. Henrique is essentially playing 3rd line between Tedenby and Palmieri.

JJ has shown some early chemistry with The Kovalchuk.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too much about these two besides the status quo answers you'd expect. Henrique is essentially playing 3rd line between Tedenby and Palmieri.

JJ has shown some early chemistry with The Kovalchuk.

The Kovalchuk? Please, I already dislike him, dont give the a version of the name of one of my least favorite wrestlers (The Rock) and one I just plain hate (The Miller)

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bite your tongue lol the miller is one of the best nicknames in all of sports

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think its one the most unoriginal

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that, I just think its fitting. Not to s his d too much but when that guys on he's special

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Kovalchuk? Please, I already dislike him, dont give the a version of the name of one of my least favorite wrestlers (The Rock) and one I just plain hate (The Miller)

Oh, eff that. The Rock is THE GREATEST EVER. Rock was probably the best heel EVER. He got crowds to chant his name as the bad guy. Crazy.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, eff that. The Rock is THE GREATEST EVER. Rock was probably the best heel EVER. He got crowds to chant his name as the bad guy. Crazy.

All the heels from that era had that. He may be the greatest ever on the stick, but hes far from the best wrestler.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All the heels from that era had that. He may be the greatest ever on the stick, but hes far from the best wrestler.

I'm not debating that, he's only an average technical wrestler, but he was the most "must watch" superstar ever. His mic skills are unmatched.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atleast you're willing to admit he was average at best. The crowd made his matches good, not his inring performance. I think I'm gonna wear earplug when I go watch Survivor Series. Him and John Cena on the same team...it will not be a good night for my ears.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Atleast you're willing to admit he was average at best. The crowd made his matches good, not his inring performance. I think I'm gonna wear earplug when I go watch Survivor Series. Him and John Cena on the same team...it will not be a good night for my ears.

I have tickets to SS. First time I'll ever see the Rock live.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at all the PROD stats of JJ, Tedenby, and Palmieri, if they were all averaging 18 minutes per night, they'd be between 40 and 50 points with zero improvement over last years production. They obviously need to fill some veteran positions currently vacated by trades/injuries.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not debating that, he's only an average technical wrestler, but he was the most "must watch" superstar ever. His mic skills are unmatched.

That's when the wrestling juggernaut of a fan in me died... it became too much of entertainment and away from actual wrestling....

(i know the matches are planned, storylines etc...) but wrestling was great before this new age crap....

yes, i said new age crap!

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's when the wrestling juggernaut of a fan in me died... it became too much of entertainment and away from actual wrestling....

(i know the matches are planned, storylines etc...) but wrestling was great before this new age crap....

yes, i said new age crap!

You couldn't possibly hate the Rock Austin Mania matches.