• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has anyone heard any comments on the development of Mailata?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not heard much about him recently. Has anyone heard anything? He was being talked about to replace Jason Peters. Maybe they move Lane J over to Left Tackle and slide Mailata to the right side. In either case, if he has progressed enough to start, we would not have to go LT in the 1st Rd. If he hasn't LT is a priority in FA or in the draft.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on IR.

He's going to be a guy to keep alert of during spring practices and training camp, but if we do move on from Peters we should still draft another guy and/or sign a mid-tier guy via FA as insurance... I know early returns are encouraging but he's still really raw.

Also at this point I wouldn't move Lane from RT - a lot of times he's matched up against the opposition's best pass rusher on that side anyway, and he's got a nice rapport with Brooks on the right side, no need to mess with that.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not heard anything more since earlier in the season. I do not take that automatically to be bad news....just no news is no news.

I imagine if he is not really panning out this will come out more from the team between end of season and draft.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on IR.

He's going to be a guy to keep alert of during spring practices and training camp, but if we do move on from Peters we should still draft another guy and/or sign a mid-tier guy via FA as insurance... I know early returns are encouraging but he's still really raw.

Also at this point I wouldn't move Lane from RT - a lot of times he's matched up against the opposition's best pass rusher on that side anyway, and he's got a nice rapport with Brooks on the right side, no need to mess with that.

Exactly my thoughts as I replied. I feel like I read this a little while back somewhere too. Something on the replacing of Peters when it comes. Makes sense that you move your best T to the blind side. But, as stated, the whole concept that defenses put their best rusher on the QB blind side isn't nearly as much of a thing anymore.

Lane might work best holding that right side solid while the left side is sorted out.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He apparently hurt his back and went on IR. I still see him as a major project and hope we draft another tackle this offseason.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we draft another OT, but it won't be in the 1st round. We need a DT, DE, RB, S, WR, before a LT. This is predicated on taking the BPA, of course. I think Mailata will be a great OT within the next 2-3 years, but could replace Big V as the primary backup next season. As far as Johnson, I wouldn't move him to LT, since he is the best OT in the game, despite not making All-Pro.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mailata is a guy that the Eagles never intended to get playing time this year. He needed a full season of just learning the game. I’m not sure the IR thing is legit or if it was just to get him off the active roster for now since he wasn’t going to play.

I think we’ll find out more in OTAs...but also how the team approaches the offseason. I could see us restructuring Peters. And since he can’t stay on the field, you get to plug Mailata in and get him some experience. But we’ll see.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mailata is a guy that the Eagles never intended to get playing time this year. He needed a full season of just learning the game. I’m not sure the IR thing is legit or if it was just to get him off the active roster for now since he wasn’t going to play.

I think we’ll find out more in OTAs...but also how the team approaches the offseason. I could see us restructuring Peters. And since he can’t stay on the field, you get to plug Mailata in and get him some experience. But we’ll see.
Peters looks beastly again right now.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. He’s definitely got fuel left in the tank. One of my favorite current Eagles.

Love Peters! I would be fine with him back and restructured to play what snaps he could and groom the next guys the rest of the time. HUGE and respected vet presence.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it that Peters is playing that much better or is it that the ball is coming out fast thus making Peters' job easier?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it that Peters is playing that much better or is it that the ball is coming out fast thus making Peters' job easier?

Yes.

I mean....I believe it is the latter (quicker throws) making the former (player play level) look better.

At the same time....he has been able to play more and more snaps recently. He is aging fast and an injury liability. But for the right redone deal why not have him in the mix one more year if he wants to try it?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Peters is motivated by the playoff run, but he is 36 and clearly slowing down. We need to draft a left tackle.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother-in-law has an apt comparison for Peters: Reggie White.

Still one of the best players on the field at his age, but his body is keeping him from playing every week.

HuskerNGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine one more year with Peters and Big V as backup. Jordan gets another year of practicing, maybe sees the field some during the regular season and most of the preseason. Easily alter Peters contract to bonus and small hit. Then following next year stick with Big V as starter (hes proven capable) and Jordan as backup until he is ready to start. Maybe one or two years with V starting. Of course this assumes the staff continues to like what they see out of Jordan. Somewhere in there drafting another mid round swing tackle would be ideal as insurance. Thats the way I see it playing out anyway...

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine one more year with Peters and Big V as backup. Jordan gets another year of practicing, maybe sees the field some during the regular season and most of the preseason. Easily alter Peters contract to bonus and small hit. Then following next year stick with Big V as starter (hes proven capable) and Jordan as backup until he is ready to start. Maybe one or two years with V starting. Of course this assumes the staff continues to like what they see out of Jordan. Somewhere in there drafting another mid round swing tackle would be ideal as insurance. Thats the way I see it playing out anyway...

I’m in agreement with all of this, with the exception of the value of Big V. It’s possible I guess that he could play his way back into the mix, but I don’t see him as viable at this point.

I think they can draft and T somewhere in there next year, have Jordan grooming. There doesn’t seem like there is a real slam dunk vet T to grab out there. So why not have what snaps you can get from Peters (not to mention the vet presence the rest of the time) if you can carve one more year and be cap friendly?

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I read was that the Eagles think highly of him and consider him the possible heir apparent to Peters.