• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harvey the Hammer

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose we are all weary of the "veteran" pitcher who's been brought on to add leadership and clubhouse chemical additives or some such baseball verbiage.
Going back to Marquis, Feldman, Gregg. Simon, Bronson and Gallardo, it's difficult for me to think this is going to fucking help the fucking Reds. How'd we miss out on Colon?
But this a most interesting week for our favorite team. Sadly nobody is going to tell us much.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvey to start Friday in LA. That was a quick fix. Took his temperature, had him turn his head and cough, rubber glove and some warm lube and the guy is deemed good to go.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finnegan to AAA. That's where he should have begun his season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finnegan to AAA. That's where he should have begun his season.
I think he should spend the season at Louisville and try to make the team in spring training.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finnegan needs to learn to pitch. That is only going to happen when he gets his mind right. Hopefully being demoted to AAA is a wake up call for the guy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Finny is trying to not hurt himself. Since he's been hurt for 2 years, I guess I understand it.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you've ever been injured and returned to the activity that resulted in being injured there is an uneasiness at first.

Once they shut him down in ST and he fell behind schedule all bets should have been off. He hasn't looked ready to compete from day one.

The sad reality of Matt Harvey starting tonight for the Reds is he can't do any worse than Finnegan or Homer for that matter.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing says "good clubhouse presence" like a raging alcoholic.

Alcoholic's with a lot of money are usually fun dudes until they hit rock bottom.

I am kidding... kind of. He needs to get a hold of himself and refocus. Getting out of NYC is a help. Just can't fall in with the same kind of crowd in Cincy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing says "good clubhouse presence" like a raging alcoholic.

Alcoholic's with a lot of money are usually fun dudes until they hit rock bottom.

I am kidding... kind of. He needs to get a hold of himself and refocus. Getting out of NYC is a help. Just can't fall in with the same kind of crowd in Cincy.
Who knows about the culture Harvey appreciates. We tend to use that word when we don't have any specifics but, yeah, if Harvey wants another contract, he needs to man up and realize that he's being given a chance because of incredible talent.
I recall the lefty Steve Howe, who got chance after chance before he ultimately failed ... how good was this guy?
The discussion about how good this trade could have been is rather beside the point. I honestly think Mets management listened to Bruce and Frazier (in fact, there is evidence they did) saying that Mesoraco was a guy worth getting to make them a stronger team, maybe not on the field but overall.
The Reds were in pretty sorry shape with the pitching, and still are despite Mahle's awesome game. Harvey only has to show up every 5th day, ready to pitch. Cincy ain't getting back in this but they can play out the schedule with an element of dignity.
They whacked the Doggies on the kneecap -- first win in LA since 2015!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, guys.

Hopefully Harvey gets his head out of his ass and becomes a decent major leaguer again. But no way was he going to do it in a Mets jersey.

He gave us a couple of very good seasons, maybe he can give you 3 or 4 at the back end of the rotation.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, guys.

Hopefully Harvey gets his head out of his ass and becomes a decent major leaguer again. But no way was he going to do it in a Mets jersey.

He gave us a couple of very good seasons, maybe he can give you 3 or 4 at the back end of the rotation.
I wonder if he will get a contract. He's not the pitcher the Reds are hoping for, at least based on what they've said. Already saddled with Homer Bailey's contract for another year or so ... and Homer needs to fix something between his ears. But every rotation needs a veteran, so maybe Cincy will offer the DK a palatable deal. He's not Cy Young meat now, which gives the Reds a shot at that.
But he needs to pitch better.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he will get a contract. He's not the pitcher the Reds are hoping for, at least based on what they've said. Already saddled with Homer Bailey's contract for another year or so ... and Homer needs to fix something between his ears. But every rotation needs a veteran, so maybe Cincy will offer the DK a palatable deal. He's not Cy Young meat now, which gives the Reds a shot at that.
But he needs to pitch better.

Definitely not the same talent he was before that thoracic outlet surgery...but he doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who will play hard just for the contract, and then slack off. If you pay him and he has the goods, he will deliver them.

He just hasn't been right since losing the rib and he really needs to reinvent himself as a junkballer/5th starter. He doesn't have the power anymore.

I really wanted him gone and I hate seeing former Mets succeed in another uni. but strangely I find myself hoping he can bounce back.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not the same talent he was before that thoracic outlet surgery...but he doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who will play hard just for the contract, and then slack off. If you pay him and he has the goods, he will deliver them.

He just hasn't been right since losing the rib and he really needs to reinvent himself as a junkballer/5th starter. He doesn't have the power anymore.

I really wanted him gone and I hate seeing former Mets succeed in another uni. but strangely I find myself hoping he can bounce back.
he doesnt have the mentality to succeed as 5th starter.....he should take his money, find a non famous piece of ass to chase, and go finish he degree at unc

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitchers that are weak mentally don't fare well when the tools lose their shine. They are more content to blame everyone else instead of adapting.

I don't know enough about Matt Harvey to have a real opinion. But there's plenty of scathing reviews out there.

IMO,
If Harvey were to resurrect his career over the next couple months the Reds would be more likely to flip him at the break than to extend him a contract.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he doesn't take half the team to a bar, and none of them show up for the game. At least that's my starting point

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he doesn't take half the team to a bar, and none of them show up for the game. At least that's my starting point
Depending on which half

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mesoraco got his first hit in a Mets uniform last night
homering in 9th inning.

I'm hoping we get through the next week without a Breaking News Alert: Reds extend Harvey for 5 yrs/$105M.

Harvey threw a nice game, but he did nearly the same thing his first outing of the season going 5 shutout innings allowing 1 hit striking out 5 with 1 walk. Then he allowed 16 ER in his next 20 IP.

I wonder if it's not going to be a lot like what we've see from Homer Bailey. When he has good command and movement Dr. Jekyll can get hitters out, but then Mr. Hyde re-appears and things get ugly.

Time will tell, but he looked very capable last night. It's much harder to see the depth of breaking and off speed pitches on TV, but a few times they showed a side angle there was good late downward movement. Not a lot of swing and misses, but plenty of weak contact.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some shots those 1st few innings, but they stayed in the ballpark. That ball Schebler lost. Stated in the air a long time. Probably went up into the dark and that's why he lost it. But I am satisfied with the outing. Wish they would have let him go back out in the 5th though' He deserved the win

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some shots those 1st few innings, but they stayed in the ballpark. That ball Schebler lost. Stated in the air a long time. Probably went up into the dark and that's why he lost it. But I am satisfied with the outing. Wish they would have let him go back out in the 5th though' He deserved the win
That stadium is quite tall, if that's the word. 5 levels, so it wasn't the dark, it was unfamiliarity with the stadium. I doubt Schebler had much of a chance if he took a wrong route. I think Hamilton could have caught it and it looked like Schebs was telling him that afterward. Shit happens.

Harvey isn't going to pitch that well very often. He might be able to beat the Giants but when he starts throwing fly balls in GABP it's Homeresque. Without a dominating fastball, he will depend on an outfield defense that is pretty ordinary.

All the same, the fans are talking positively about the team and that trade, which is a bit refreshing of late.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stadium is quite tall, if that's the word. 5 levels, so it wasn't the dark, it was unfamiliarity with the stadium. I doubt Schebler had much of a chance if he took a wrong route. I think Hamilton could have caught it and it looked like Schebs was telling him that afterward. Shit happens.

Think about if that was the only hit that the Dodgers would get. Hell of away to lose a no hitter