• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harper Reported Will Sign With Phils $400 Mill

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should face reality, though. Flex is here for 2019 after winning 14 more games this year even with the second half collapse.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should face reality, though. Flex is here for 2019 after winning 14 more games this year even with the second half collapse.
I'm more open to giving him a chance than most. I think he has plenty of room for improvement but also like some of his ideas.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't guys, I think the guy is a toad!!

One thing we have to realize, IMO, most of the games Phils lost in the second half were the players' fault. They all seemed to go in the dumpster, hitters and pitchers alike. Many were attributed to Kapler, too, with the "new" baseball (screw bunting, hit a homer) and his bad lineups, but in the end, the team must put out.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing we have to realize, IMO, most of the games Phils lost in the second half were the players' fault. They all seemed to go in the dumpster, hitters and pitchers alike. Many were attributed to Kapler, too, with the "new" baseball (screw bunting, hit a homer) and his bad lineups, but in the end, the team must put out.
The players were not comfortable with all the restrictions. If this was a football team Flex would have a tackle playing running back and his fastest player would be a guard.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players were not comfortable with all the restrictions. If this was a football team Flex would have a tackle playing running back and his fastest player would be a guard.

Yeah, I suppose that’s at least a part of it. Still, we needed hits!

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies: Ready to be 'little bit stupid' in spending

When I read this my first thought was that the Phillies were going to bring back Amaro (the expert on stupid) as their GM

I am in the minority here when it comes to the Phillies payroll or players salaries in general

I don't give a rat's ass if a player makes $100 million per year. If they can get that more power to them. It doesn't make my bills go up or down either way and I am not jealous of anyone else's pay

Same goes for team salaries - if Phillies want to spend like Boston and New York and have a $500 million payroll again it doesn't affect me in any way - go for it Phillies

As for Harper I think he is a tool personality-wise but he is a good player and would improve the Phillies
I like Trout better but that isn't in the cards

Machado as well will improve the Phillies but he strikes me as being a bit overrated and he is a bigger tool than Harper

But if Phillies want to try and sign either one or both well hell I'll watch with an open mind and my popcorn and cheer them on

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies: Ready to be 'little bit stupid' in spending

When I read this my first thought was that the Phillies were going to bring back Amaro (the expert on stupid) as their GM

I am in the minority here when it comes to the Phillies payroll or players salaries in general

I don't give a rat's ass if a player makes $100 million per year. If they can get that more power to them. It doesn't make my bills go up or down either way and I am not jealous of anyone else's pay

Same goes for team salaries - if Phillies want to spend like Boston and New York and have a $500 million payroll again it doesn't affect me in any way - go for it Phillies

As for Harper I think he is a tool personality-wise but he is a good player and would improve the Phillies
I like Trout better but that isn't in the cards

Machado as well will improve the Phillies but he strikes me as being a bit overrated and he is a bigger tool than Harper

But if Phillies want to try and sign either one or both well hell I'll watch with an open mind and my popcorn and cheer them on
They could get both trout and harper if they are willing. Especially if they front load Harper's deal.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The people at the top are the ones that will keep the Phillies down. Their thinking that they can buy a pennant is flawed. What high paid professional would want to play for a dumbass manager without a clue?

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The people at the top are the ones that will keep the Phillies down. Their thinking that they can buy a pennant is flawed. What high paid professional would want to play for a dumbass manager without a clue?
One who wants to make the most money possible?

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It seems successful teams have usually signed a free agent to fix holes in their rosters and increase their chances of winning. Even the Phillies got good use out of 3b Pedro Feliz in 2008.

And then, Cliff Lee in 2009, who could have helped win a 2nd WS in a row if it were not for a dumb manager who didn't think he could beat the Yanks on 3 days rest after blowing them away in game one.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies are taking the human element out of the game. If they add free agents it will not matter because the system will bring them down.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a manager who doesn't have a flippin' clue how to manage rosters to foster a winning attitude, you basically have a club where people come to get large sums of money and provide a modicum of consistent contribution to a winning attitude that is either non-existent or routinely destroyed by an inept and dimwitted managerial staff and FO. This is sort of like planting a bush or shrub only to yank it up every three days to see if it is growing.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies are taking the human element out of the game. If they add free agents it will not matter because the system will bring them down.

I just don't think it's that bleak. The players must perform. They must hit despite whatever dummy is manager. Of coarse, I prefer a manager who knows how to play intelligent baseball and who doesn't rely on percentages alone.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they sign Harper, I do not want to hear later that they don't have the payroll flexibility to sign our local, best player in baseball, Mike Trout. I would rather pass on Harper, sign a couple of good players and pitchers, then get Trout, when the time is right. Trout is a lot better than Harper, and he would have a statue erected for him if he played in Phila. He is one of the only athletes that publically states he loves our local teams. He is also buddies with Wentz, and Ertz.
Trout would be the best get by a Phila team in a long time, probably since the Dr.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they sign Harper, I do not want to hear later that they don't have the payroll flexibility to sign our local, best player in baseball, Mike Trout. I would rather pass on Harper, sign a couple of good players and pitchers, then get Trout, when the time is right. Trout is a lot better than Harper, and he would have a statue erected for him if he played in Phila. He is one of the only athletes that publically states he loves our local teams. He is also buddies with Wentz, and Ertz.
Trout would be the best get by a Phila team in a long time, probably since the Dr.
There's no guarantees that Trout will ever be available to sign here, at least while he might be able to make a real difference to a contending team.

Not signing Harper now because they might get Trout in 2021 (again, no guarantees that he's even available then, because the Angels are already paying him $34 million so bumping him up over $40 "only" costs them $7 million) is a silly exercise in "what if".

If Trout becomes available, I agree that they have no reason to not pursue him.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no guarantees that Trout will ever be available to sign here, at least while he might be able to make a real difference to a contending team.

Not signing Harper now because they might get Trout in 2021 (again, no guarantees that he's even available then, because the Angels are already paying him $34 million so bumping him up over $40 "only" costs them $7 million) is a silly exercise in "what if".

If Trout becomes available, I agree that they have no reason to not pursue him.
Like the saying goes, A bird in hand is worth two in the bush!

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what happens when the dumbass manager ruins the value of the highly paid player by misusing him. ?
Meaningless to the player. He's going to be filthy rich regardless.

Manager will just get fired in a couple years if it doesn't work.