• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh and Athletic Instincts

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh, Alex Smith and athletic instincts : Niner Insider

"Asked in February about Harbaugh's influence, Luck said, "He taught me how to use my athletic instincts in playing the position within the scheme of the offense, as opposed to being a robot-like quarterback."

I like this excerpt in the article, because Smith has been knocked in the past (and rightfully so) for playing "robot-like". It seems as if Harbaugh is at least helping that part of Smith's game.

I also like what Josh Johnson says here about Harbaugh:

"There were things I thought I shouldn't be doing and he'd say, 'No, do it.' And it would work. He teaches you to trust yourself as a player because he once was a player. A lot of coaches think it's all about Xs and Os, but at times you have to improvise as player. And that's where he's different from other coaches -- because he knows your going to have to improvise when you're out on the field.."

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh, Alex Smith and athletic instincts : Niner Insider

"Asked in February about Harbaugh's influence, Luck said, "He taught me how to use my athletic instincts in playing the position within the scheme of the offense, as opposed to being a robot-like quarterback."

I like this excerpt in the article, because Smith has been knocked in the past (and rightfully so) for playing "robot-like". It seems as if Harbaugh is at least helping that part of Smith's game.

I also like what Josh Johnson says here about Harbaugh:

"There were things I thought I shouldn't be doing and he'd say, 'No, do it.' And it would work. He teaches you to trust yourself as a player because he once was a player. A lot of coaches think it's all about Xs and Os, but at times you have to improvise as player. And that's where he's different from other coaches -- because he knows your going to have to improvise when you're out on the field.."

A good example is for this game, is from Sando's NFC West Blog, courtesy of Barrows:

"The microphone Harbaugh wore in Week 1 reveals the coach telling Alex Smith to throw away the ball if no one was open on a bootleg deep in Seattle territory. Barrows: 'Smith, of course, runs the ball in for a touchdown, juking safety Kam Chancellor before being whacked by Seahawks linebacker Aaron Curry just beyond the goal line. He gets a long and enthusiastic bear hug from a whooping Harbaugh when he gets to the sideline.'"

Harbaugh got in trouble for improvisation (audible) with Ditka.

"The Bears then marched into Minnesota and held a commanding 20-0 lead in the middle of the third quarter. Then it happened-the play that would basically end Harbaugh and Ditka's careers in Chicago. The Bears faced a third-and-short inside their own 30 yard line. Despite the horrific noise in the Metrodome, Harbaugh called an audible at the line of scrimmage. Apparently halfback Neal Anderson didn't hear it called, and he failed to break off his pattern into the flat as the quarterback had called it. Harbaugh threw a short pass into the flat, and CB Todd Scott intercepted it & took it in for the touchdown. Mike Ditka threw an absolute temper tantrum on the sideline, and less than a quarter later, Minnesota won the game 21-20. Unfortunately, Harbaugh will be remembered more for the ill-fated audible against Minnesota that sealed Mike Ditka's fate, than for any of his miracle finishes."

This is not directly on point, but it's related. Does this explain the bear hug when Smith didn't throw it out of bounds and it worked? (I assume that there was - at least in Smith's mind- no one open)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason why I thought Harbaugh woud like Locker, who had to virtually improvise on every play.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's great for Kaep to look forward to. But you can't teach athletic instincts to someone who doesn't have any.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good example is for this game, is from Sando's NFC West Blog, courtesy of Barrows:

"The microphone Harbaugh wore in Week 1 reveals the coach telling Alex Smith to throw away the ball if no one was open on a bootleg deep in Seattle territory. Barrows: 'Smith, of course, runs the ball in for a touchdown, juking safety Kam Chancellor before being whacked by Seahawks linebacker Aaron Curry just beyond the goal line. He gets a long and enthusiastic bear hug from a whooping Harbaugh when he gets to the sideline.'"

Harbaugh got in trouble for improvisation (audible) with Ditka.

"The Bears then marched into Minnesota and held a commanding 20-0 lead in the middle of the third quarter. Then it happened-the play that would basically end Harbaugh and Ditka's careers in Chicago. The Bears faced a third-and-short inside their own 30 yard line. Despite the horrific noise in the Metrodome, Harbaugh called an audible at the line of scrimmage. Apparently halfback Neal Anderson didn't hear it called, and he failed to break off his pattern into the flat as the quarterback had called it. Harbaugh threw a short pass into the flat, and CB Todd Scott intercepted it & took it in for the touchdown. Mike Ditka threw an absolute temper tantrum on the sideline, and less than a quarter later, Minnesota won the game 21-20. Unfortunately, Harbaugh will be remembered more for the ill-fated audible against Minnesota that sealed Mike Ditka's fate, than for any of his miracle finishes."

This is not directly on point, but it's related. Does this explain the bear hug when Smith didn't throw it out of bounds and it worked? (I assume that there was - at least in Smith's mind- no one open)

Yes, I think that illustrates the type of improvising that Josh Johnson was referring to in the above mentioned article. You see Aaron Rodgers do things like that frequently.

Interesting story on Harbaugh when he was with the Bears. I had never heard that before and wasn't aware that play may have sealed Ditka's fate with the Bears.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason why I thought Harbaugh woud like Locker, who had to virtually improvise on every play.

I thought he would have liked him too. Maybe he thought he would slip to the 2nd round, or was going to trade up to get him at the end of round 1.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he would have liked him too. Maybe he thought he would slip to the 2nd round, or was going to trade up to get him at the end of round 1.

I could see this, if he like him. I doubt very many saw Tennessee taking him when they did...