• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HAPPY WITH HARSIN

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Coach Pete was a punch in the nuts by any meassure. But this was the best option we could hope for. A local guy and a student of Petersen. Still a year away from where we were, but do feel better about the future than I did just a week ago.

First thread ever started...be kind.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know anything about the guy except what Texas fans have said.
They said he sucked.
But they're Texas fans.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They are Texas fans" is all you had to say.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said he sucked.
But they're Texas fans.

Yeah, that other OC from BSU is doing wonders at UF. BSU coaches fucking suck when they leave BSU and have to coach in big boy conferences. The triple reverse pass play works very well in that Jr High conference they play in, not so much in big boy conferences. Harsin should do just fine back at BSU b/c he has ZERO competition.......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said he sucked.
But they're Texas fans.
No way.. Harsin was very good. He left because he had issues with the culture at Texas. It is no mistake that Texas became a solid running team this yr. Harsin did a lot of work. Texas doesnt beat A&M in the last game without Harsin. Geoff Swain was a major factor. That was a Harsin pick up of a 2-3 star TE that nobody heard of prior to his signing. The guy did work at Texas with amazingly limited talent. I for one appreciated his efforts at TExas.

Here are the FEI offensive rankings for Texas
2010- 105- G Davis
2011-70- Harsin
2012- 16- Harsin
2013- 42-Applewhite

Just the facts

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said he sucked.
But they're Texas fans.

It wasn't really his fault. His players that he had to work with on offense sucked. He wasn't there long either. Two years which can make it tough.

I like the hire too. We'll see how it pans out.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that other OC from BSU is doing wonders at UF. BSU coaches fucking suck when they leave BSU and have to coach in big boy conferences. The triple reverse pass play works very well in that Jr High conference they play in, not so much in big boy conferences. Harsin should do just fine back at BSU b/c he has ZERO competition.......

And Pease's players on offense sucked a fat one too. They were horrible. That makes it kinda tough to be successful on offense no matter who you're playing. But yeah, going against SEC competition when your players are shitty doesn't help matters. I liked Mike Gillislee from a couple of years ago though. That guy was pretty good. The rest pretty much stunk from the O-line to especially the QBs and WRs. Just pitiful.

To me that's crazy cuz it's UF and UT we're talking about here, two of the most prominent and elite programs in the entire nation. How do they not get better players on offense? Are you kidding me?!!! They're not coached very well either so that could be a factor, but again it's UT and UF! How do you not get better coaches too?! They will. They just need to get rid of Mack and Muschump and throw a bunch of money at better options to lead their programs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harsin is great hire for Boise. I at first liked him, as his offense really helped when the only QB's we had to throw in were a true freshman who had been told that he would be redshirted, then, bam, thrown to the wolves in front of 100k in a knee jerk reaction (all a result of the complete mis-management of of the QB position for years, not Harsin's or Ash's fault), and McCoy. Harsin saw that Shipley had the best arm, other than Ash, and used him effectively in flanker pass plays.

I then saw that he seemed to have some problems fitting into the culture, and again, that was not his fault.

I met him once at an event, and thought he was a bright and well spoken man, and he has his ideas and now can use them, unfettered by culture, or a head coach, or a place that has a history of doing things a certain way. I do think that he, in the end, was not what Texas needed.

Think he'll do well there in Boise.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy with the hire, it might take a few years but I think we can get back to the Bronco ways.

As far as Harsin's time in Texas

2010 UT total offense rank 74th
2011 harsin first year rank 50th
2012 second year rank 37th
2013 No Harsin rank 58th

I would say he helped Texas

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a stout D under Manny Diaz when he got there in year one and then the D was awful his second and final year there. Go figure.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a stout D under Manny Diaz when he got there in year one and then the D was awful his second and final year there. Go figure.
-
There are obviously a lot of issues at Texas. It is not a culture for a young assistant. Harsin left. Muschamp had issues. There has even been rumors of Applewhite's dissatisfaction. Probably more than rumors based on his ISU press conference.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
There are obviously a lot of issues at Texas. It is not a culture for a young assistant. Harsin left. Muschamp had issues. There has even been rumors of Applewhite's dissatisfaction. Probably more than rumors based on his ISU press conference.

It's Texas. Once you all get rid of Mack and throw millions at someone who can actually coach, UT will be back on top. It's arguably the most desired job in the country. If it's not, it's right there in that upper tier echelon and everyone knows it.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When one looks at the candidates, Harsin has some intangible assets. Keep in mind that when he played QB in high school, the QB he took over after was this kid named Jake Plummer. So he knows what it is like to replace "the man." At Boise, he became a student of the game and was a perfect fit for Kellen Moore, who he coached as QB coach and then OC. So, if you can't keep Chris Petersen, Harsin was his chief disciple and protege.

His trip to Texas and Arkansas was good, he got to work at a place that had been legendary for decades and then move into a job with a lot of ups and down at Ark. St. Keep in mind, he's pretty young, and Texas fans were looking for someone to blame instead of the head coach. A lot of the troubles in Austin are political, even now. The head coach must coordinate the staff and ultimately is responsible. Harsin was literally the new kid there and pretty much had to follow orders. He didn't have the same kind of personnel that he had in Boise. At Texas, he had superior athletes, but also prima donna attitudes. They weren't quite sure whether or not they should listen to the young upstart.

Harsin comes into Boise, knowing exactly what is here. Hearing the criticism from the disgruntled UT fans is actually a good thing. At Boise, we've heard the same thing for years. The sweet part is listening to the sound of silence from those know-it-alls after your team gets embarrassed by those upstarts. We start in Atlanta in August against an SEC foe.

We'll see how Harsin does soon enough.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When one looks at the candidates, Harsin has some intangible assets. Keep in mind that when he played QB in high school, the QB he took over after was this kid named Jake Plummer. So he knows what it is like to replace "the man." At Boise, he became a student of the game and was a perfect fit for Kellen Moore, who he coached as QB coach and then OC. So, if you can't keep Chris Petersen, Harsin was his chief disciple and protege.

His trip to Texas and Arkansas was good, he got to work at a place that had been legendary for decades and then move into a job with a lot of ups and down at Ark. St. Keep in mind, he's pretty young, and Texas fans were looking for someone to blame instead of the head coach. A lot of the troubles in Austin are political, even now. The head coach must coordinate the staff and ultimately is responsible. Harsin was literally the new kid there and pretty much had to follow orders. He didn't have the same kind of personnel that he had in Boise. At Texas, he had superior athletes, but also prima donna attitudes. They weren't quite sure whether or not they should listen to the young upstart.

Harsin comes into Boise, knowing exactly what is here. Hearing the criticism from the disgruntled UT fans is actually a good thing. At Boise, we've heard the same thing for years. The sweet part is listening to the sound of silence from those know-it-alls after your team gets embarrassed by those upstarts. We start in Atlanta in August against an SEC foe.

Just looking at this thread it seemed more Texas fans were positive

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya on a lot of this stuff, smiles. Make no bones about it though, regardless of the level of competition he was facing, Harsin had some damn good players to work with on offense during his time there. He had some straight up studs. I mean look at his first year (2006) and his last year (2010) there alone. These are the players that I can think of that are currently on or were on 53 man NFL rosters:

2006:

1. Legedu Naanee - WR
2. Drisan James - WR
3. Ryan Clady - OT
4. Richie Brockel - FB/TE
5. Tommy Gallarda - TE
6. Derek Shouman - TE

2010:

1. Titus Young - WR
2. Austin Pettis - WR
3. Kellen Moore - QB
4. Doug Martin - RB
5. Nate Potter - OT
6. Tommy Gallarda - TE
7. Tyler Shoemaker - WR
8. Charles Leno is still there as a first team all-conference OT and is all but a lock to make a 53 man roster
9. Matt Paradis is still there as the first team all-conference center and it is highly likely that he will be making a 53 man roster too

I mean come on. That list is just ridiculous. He coached incredibly talented kids that were developed into stars.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scary thing is Boise pumped more players into the league on defense than on offense in those seasons that I mentioned (if you can even imagine that). A lot has changed in just a couple short years. Hopefully Hars can lead them back.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scary thing is Boise pumped more players into the league on defense than on offense in those seasons that I mentioned (if you can even imagine that). A lot has changed in just a couple short years. Hopefully Hars can lead them back.

I hear you, B4L, but my point was that the kids that went to Texas came with 4 & 5 stars and lots of hype. All those players at Boise were 2 & 3 star kids who worked their butts off. The hardest thing in the world is convincing players that have been told since they were 12 years old how amazing they were that they have a lot more to learn. The point is that being great in high school means nothing if one fails to take that same ethic to the next level.

But you're right, in terms of achievement, it's hard to beat those teams at Boise back then. The fact that so many are still playing in the NFL confirms what those of us who watched them every week already knew. Now, Boise needs to go out and get some more of them.